IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Northernmost / Southernmost Royal Palm (Roystonea Regia) Where is located?

Alicante

Where have you seen the Northernmost/Southernmost Roystonea Regia ?? Without any protection, of course. 

I have seen those ones in Malaga at 36º45'N (although Málaga has hundreds of R. Regias and Oleraceas)

DSC05341.JPG

DSC_0490.JPG

And this one in Almuñecar, at about 36º50'N:

IMG]2emn4ux.jpg

Also I have heard (and seen photos) about Roystoneas in Alicante (38º21'N) and Ibiza (38º55'N) but I have to search for the photos because they were from private homes. I've seen photos of them in some Spanish forums.

Where have you seen the Northernmost or Southernmost Roystonea? Even it's at a lower latitude of that, because it would be interesting to know the limits where Roystoneas can grow in other parts of Europe, USA, Australia, South Africa... or any other place in the world... :)

Edited by pRoeZa*
  • Upvote 5

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

There was a Royal palm growing in Voula, in Athens Greece which I remember from some older topic. It was growing on the sidewalk in front of a house and I remember it was very healthy. The latitude for Voula it must be about 37º84'N.

• Upvote 1

There was a Royal palm growing in Voula, in Athens Greece which I remember from some older topic. It was growing on the sidewalk in front of a house and I remember it was very healthy. The latitude for Voula it must be about 37º84'N.

wow! Impressive mate, thx for sharing this information! :D 

If you find photos please post them here, it would be great to see it. But I think I have seen it too in this forum, and it was green and healthy! And for not writing another post, I've include here the photos that I've found of Roystoneas in the Valencian Community! I'll start from lower to higher latitude.

A couple of R.Regia and a R.Oleracea in San Juan de Alicante, 38º25'N:

o6d8d4.jpg

nzhhr8.jpg

205fj43.jpg

Benidorm, 38º 33'N:

91i0ck.jpg

And Betera! Inland, about 22km from the coast and at 39º 35'N !!

s1q9i1.jpg

• Upvote 2

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 

So I guess the winner so far is Betera unless somebody from Italy, Greece or other parts of Spain will show us photos with Royals more north. Or how far south they grow in the southern hemisphere. I made a search here on the forum under "royal palm Athens" and I found some older topic about this palm. I don't know if there is a more updated photo or info.

The palm in the last photo from Betera is amazing! I like the orange color on the crownshaft. I wonder if it keeps this color for many days.

• Upvote 2

So I guess the winner so far is Betera unless somebody from Italy, Greece or other parts of Spain will show us photos with Royals more north. Or how far south they grow in the southern hemisphere. I made a search here on the forum under "royal palm Athens" and I found some older topic about this palm. I don't know if there is a more updated photo or info.

The palm in the last photo from Betera is amazing! I like the orange color on the crownshaft. I wonder if it keeps this color for many days.

In the USA the northernmost extended ones that I've seen are in San Diego, but also L.A. has in some places (I didn't found anyone on the streets by street view but I found it on forums from users) and also in this forum I think that an user close to San Francisco has one in his garden, but I don't remember very well.

Anyways if is not more at south or more at north that's not a problem! It would be great also to know it's limits in USA, Australia, etc

So anyone reading this, it would be great if you participate too, it would be great to know where it can grow on different zones from the world!

Thats an interesting thread. 

The cold hardiness of royal palm is not what it has been told.

i can grow bizzies, euterpe edulis, prichardia hillebrandii and dypsis decaryi, but NOT the roystonea, which i was unable to preserve alive at my 9b/10a 42ºN yard.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i can grow bizzies, euterpe edulis, prichardia hillebrandii and dypsis decaryi, but NOT the roystonea, which i was unable to preserve alive at my 9b/10a 42ºN yard.

Bizzie and Euterpes at 42ºN ? :yay: wow that's awesome, that's the same latitude as Barcelona! I would like to know about them!!

Where are located your palms? Vigo in Spain (southernmost Galicia) is at 42ºN latitude and the maximum thing you can see is Syagrus :lol:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

cool thread!

Rafael, in theory you should be able to grow this palm in your climate.

Do you get a hard freeze from time to time?

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Rafael maybe you were unlucky heheh:), try again!

I think Viana do Castelo might be a candidate http://www.ipma.pt/en/oclima/normais.clima/1981-2010/021/, doubt anyone is trying palms there though:)

Copy the link if it does not open the climate normals:)

That place is too cold for a Roystonea I think, the climate is almost the same as in Vigo, but vigo is a bit more at the north at about 42ºN. Viana do Castelo is on Northernmost Portugal, right? It says in the Wikipedia that is at 41º42'N latitude. It would be awesome to try one here, but I think that it's too cold for one, also the minimum recordings are too low for a Roystonea; I see in the official chart that in January the average is 14,6/4,9ºC, and in April for example is 18,5/8,8ºC, so a simple cold wave can kill it because until the summer the maximum temperatures don't help very much in the recovery of the plant. I see that December, January, February and March have record lows below the freeze mark, but anyways it worths trying it, and I think that at least Howeas would do it.

• Upvote 1

Found it! I didn't posted it here because I thought that is dead but I researched a bit on some Spanish forums and it's still alive!

Cambrils, 41º 4' N : (photos after a bad winter, maded in February)

arx1298586182g.JPG

A photo from the winter of 2011... it wasn't looking very good, that winter hit quite hard but... there are photos of 2011 in summer! 

klz1308341686h.JPG

bfi1308341715w.JPG

And then in January 2014 it was looking like this: https://goo.gl/maps/9PGmRdLbdir way more better than in 2011!

Cambrils-Park-Resort.jpg

Cambrils is located in the Mediterranean coast, it doesn't have an official climate chart but there is an official climate chart of a town a bit in the interior near Cambrils. Cambrils is a bit warmer on winters and the cold waves afect less because it's at the coastline. Here is the link: http://www.aemet.es/es/serviciosclimaticos/datosclimatologicos/valoresclimatologicos?l=9981A&k=cat this city is in the province of Tarragona and it's a bit in the interior, it's quite close to Cambrils. The only difference is that in Cambrils the winters are a bit warmer and the cold waves doesn't affect that much. 

The averages in January are 14,6/5,6ºC and in April it's 21,5/10.1ºC, then in May it's 24.9/13,4ºC and a lot of days in May surpass 28ºC, in April it's common to surpass 26ºC in sunny days. July and August for example have 32,2/20,3 32,3/20,6ºC averages which could help a lot to recover a Roystonea after a cold winter, The average annual temperature is 17,7ºC and in the coldest cold waves the temperature maybe reaches -3ºC, but that's in Tortosa; in Cambrils the minimum average during January is about 6ºC and when severe cold waves hit it maximum goes down to 0ºC for some hours or maybe -1ºC in the hardest ones; because that zone near the sea has Citric cultivars which lose their flowers and became useless that year with temperatures under the freeze line. 

But anyways it's not the best climate for them; in the photos it can be seen that the cold waves affect it.

In the U.S. the northernmost Roystonea that I've seen is in this forum, in Los Altos it was, it's about 37º 31'N, and it's looking awesome:greenthumb:

Edited by pRoeZa*
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Proeza, Viana do Castelo is located in the northernmost place in Portugal that is in the coast (only Moledo is slightly further north but there are no stations:P ), from Google maps it seems to be further north than Barcelona. 

I would be surprised if a Roystonea could survive in Viana do Castelo, but it might be possible, the coldest month does not seem too different from Tortosa, the record low of all time is a bit higher even than Tortosa. If it survived in Cambrils with much luck it might survive in Viana if it could get some size before some harsher freeze:). 

It is kinda funny to see a Roystonea so far in Cambrils^^

Edited by Cluster
  • Like 1

Proeza, Viana do Castelo is located in the northernmost place in Portugal that is in the coast (only Moledo is slightly further north but there are no stations:P ), from Google maps it seems to be further north than Barcelona. 

I would be surprised if a Roystonea could survive in Viana do Castelo, but it might be possible, the coldest month does not seem too different from Tortosa, the record low of all time is a bit higher even than Tortosa. If it survived in Cambrils with much luck it might survive in Viana if it could get some size before some harsher freeze:). 

It is kinda funny to see a Roystonea so far in Cambrils^^

I think that those +1/1.5ºC more in winter minimums and the hot during springs are the vital factors for the health of the Roystonea in Cambrils. 

The problem is that Spring averages are just too mild in Viana do Castelo due to the Atlantic Ocean influence.

In the Mediterranean sea the temperatures are quite bigger. All the southernmost coast of France is at an higher latitude and the springs and summers are quite hotter. I have a question, could survive a Roystonea in Monaco? :)  And Cluster do you have heard about any Roystonea in Azores? They would do it nice there.

Edited by pRoeZa*
  • Upvote 2

Hi Proeza,

I remeber the royal from Cambrils!

I think Monaco could be a good place to try also. It is a very special place south facing and protected from the north winds by high cliffs. Menton is also said to be the less cold french city...

Salut ;)

• Upvote 2

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Here's a more recent one, shot  by Kostas at the end of last summer.

royal.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here's a more recent one, shot  by Kostas at the end of last summer.

royal.jpg

It looks great! They should plant more there in this area.

• Upvote 1

More discoverings in some Spanish forums... ^_^

In Monforte del Cid, 38º26'N, but the most important thing is that is not at coastline, it's 25-30km inland and at 350m altitude! :blink: 

fkqqlw.jpg

Alicante, 38º25'N

2empo4x.jpg

And other garden in Alicante:

8yaplc.jpg

Ibiza Airport, 38º53'N:

303ealf.jpg

There were a couple of photos but they are deleted, anyways there are users who said that they are big and good looking. From the satellite view it can be seen that they are Roystoneas, look at the trunk, it has the "bottle" shape on it. And they are big; the users said that those palms were about 5-7m tall (the photo is from 2010)

And then Mallorca, at 39º 35'N. One user has this beauty in his garden:

alsoat.jpg

Mallorca has very different climate zones and microclimates; the airport of Mallorca is located at low altitude and it's by far the coldest zone in the island at less than 300m altitude. The lowest temperature recorded in the city of Palma de Mallorca was -0.1ºC(31.82ºF) in February, in December for example the lowest recorded was 2.5ºC(36.5ºF) , the high averages during January are 15.4ºC(59.73ºF) and the minimum averages are 8.3ºC(46.94ºF) , it has near 3000 hours of yearly sun and the mean annual temperature is 18.2ºC. This climate I think that is perfect for spotting more Roystoneas, as the one on the photo, it looks amazing, and this is in the city, there are places in the island with even warmer microclimates which arrive to 19ºC mean annual temperature and the January averages are like 16/9 and the temperature even never arrived under +0.5ºC, as the lowest recorded in the city was -0.1ºC in 4 February of 2012:  

http://www.aemet.es/es/serviciosclimaticos/datosclimatologicos/efemerides_extremos*?w=0&k=bal&l=B228&datos=det&x=B228&m=13&v=todos

Edited by pRoeZa*
  • Like 1

Bizzie and Euterpes at 42ºN ? :yay: wow that's awesome, that's the same latitude as Barcelona! I would like to know about them!!

Where are located your palms? Vigo in Spain (southernmost Galicia) is at 42ºN latitude and the maximum thing you can see is Syagrus :lol:

sorry for my mistake, i am at 40,8º N instead :)

sorry for my mistake, i am at 40,8º N instead :)

40º8'N, still impressive what you have in your garden for this latitude buddy :greenthumb: this in North America is impossible!

image.thumb.jpeg.7d27e05eb94c93ce0a65bb2

:drool:

• Upvote 1

Anyone from the United States ? :)

This is my Roystonea today, in La Marina, Elche, 38°07' N.

It is 18 months in this place. Last winter we had one night with 2°C and light frost.

I was totally burned. I think the soil was too dry and it was deshydrated.

This picture is today, with 4 healthy leaves.

IMG-20151031-WA0018.thumb.jpg.f6be7ff17bAnd this is last may, opening her first leave after the freeze.

IMG-20151031-WA0019.jpg

• Upvote 2

Very good regeneration capability Monrover! But totally burn with only 2 C makes a complete deterrence for me! Was it grown in a greenhouse or in a tropical place, before you bought it? How much would a biger specimen cost? I have heard that a royal becomes cold hardier, when it starts forming a trunk.

Very good regeneration capability Monrover! But totally burn with only 2 C makes a complete deterrence for me! Was it grown in a greenhouse or in a tropical place, before you bought it? How much would a biger specimen cost? I have heard that a royal becomes cold hardier, when it starts forming a trunk.

i had the same question when isaw my Roystonea and my Dictyosperma burned!

I Bought this two palms last year in a Spanish nursery, in Almeria. They was in a shadehouse and i think they was imported from Costa Rica.

I think the problem was soil too dry and this palms was too tender.  Because near this palms, but in a moist soil i had Chambeyronia,wodyetia, banana trees, anthuriums,Spathyphillums and wasn't burned.I hope this winter will be better and they will be stronger.

I am woking in a gardening company and i have special price because we are good customer. The price is around 80€.

I Bought this two palms last year in a Spanish nursery, in Almeria. They was in a shadehouse and i think they was imported from Costa Rica.

I think the problem was soil too dry and this palms was too tender.  Because near this palms, but in a moist soil i had Chambeyronia,wodyetia, banana trees, anthuriums,Spathyphillums and wasn't burned.I hope this winter will be better and they will be stronger.

I am woking in a gardening company and i have special price because we are good customer. The price is around 80€.

Do you have more photos of your garden? I want to see them!

The recovery is awesome, the hot during springs in Spain is seen in the recovery of the Roystonea :)

Proeza, we have some nice looking healthy Royal Palms here in Corpus Christi, Texas.  We are at about 27.7 degrees latitude.  The furthest north growing ones in Texas that I have seen are in Galveston at Moody Gardens, and one in someone's front yard there.  Galveston, I think is at about 29.5 degrees latitude.  The East side of Corpus Christi near the water is what I call a cool to mild Zone 10A Climate, whereas Galveston is a cool 10A Climate.  For comparison, Brownsville at the Southern tip of Texas is a mild 10A Climate, and Ft. Myers, Florida is probably a warm 10A Climate.  It is amazing that we can grow some pretty exotic tropicals here in Corpus Christi, since we are in the center of the continental landmass of North America with no mountain ranges or large bodies of water between us and Canada to protect us from Arctic fronts.  Being this far south though, does moderate Arctic fronts before they get here, but our all time lowest recorded temperature here is 11F and in Brownsville, it is 12F, and in Galveston, it is 8F.  Horrific cold temperatures like that though are once in 100 to 200  year events.

• Upvote 1

Hello Proeza I do not know of any Roystonea in the Azores, but it should be quite happy there:). Viana do Castelo has lower lows (during spring and summer only), but the highs are higher than Monaco throughout the year, except late spring and summer where they are equal, being in the ocean though the lowest records are probably not lower than south France. It is probably very hard to work there, but I would give it a try in a good micro-climate:) just to see how it fares.

I will let you know if I find any Roystonea in Azores or northern Portugal! For now the best person to raise one would be Rafael, I believe he might be able to.

Edited by Cluster

Do you have more photos of your garden? I want to see them!

The recovery is awesome, the hot during springs in Spain is seen in the recovery of the Roystonea :)

My garden is too small and new. I started last year and every plants are small.

And this post is for Roystoneas, but early i will post pictures from my garden.

My garden is too small and new. I started last year and every plants are small.

And this post is for Roystoneas, but early i will post pictures from my garden.

Waiting for them :)

• 1 month later...

57064581.jpg

89604523.jpg

The northernmost roystoneas in Portugal I know are in Lisbon, in a park just next to the Vasco da Gama bridge. There are 3 exemplars in good shape. I Also know that the Algarve has some exemplars too, much more common than in Lisbon. 

For the Azores question I've never seen any roystonea on pictures there, unlike Madeira, the Azores seem empty of tropical species.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/12/2015 19:18:31, Pargomad said:

The northernmost roystoneas in Portugal I know are in Lisbon, in a park just next to the Vasco da Gama bridge. There are 3 exemplars in good shape. I Also know that the Algarve has some exemplars too, much more common than in Lisbon. 

For the Azores question I've never seen any roystonea on pictures there, unlike Madeira, the Azores seem empty of tropical species.

I've done some Street View in Açores and I've seen an Archontophoenix Alexandrae in a private garden. It was good looking :)

On 29/10/2015 18:58:28, pRoeZa* said:

More discoverings in some Spanish forums... ^_^

In Monforte del Cid, 38º26'N, but the most important thing is that is not at coastline, it's 25-30km inland and at 350m altitude! :blink: 

fkqqlw.jpg

Alicante, 38º25'N

2empo4x.jpg

And other garden in Alicante:

8yaplc.jpg

Ibiza Airport, 38º53'N:

303ealf.jpg

There were a couple of photos but they are deleted, anyways there are users who said that they are big and good looking. From the satellite view it can be seen that they are Roystoneas, look at the trunk, it has the "bottle" shape on it. And they are big; the users said that those palms were about 5-7m tall (the photo is from 2010)

And then Mallorca, at 39º 35'N. One user has this beauty in his garden:

alsoat.jpg

Mallorca has very different climate zones and microclimates; the airport of Mallorca is located at low altitude and it's by far the coldest zone in the island at less than 300m altitude. The lowest temperature recorded in the city of Palma de Mallorca was -0.1ºC(31.82ºF) in February, in December for example the lowest recorded was 2.5ºC(36.5ºF) , the high averages during January are 15.4ºC(59.73ºF) and the minimum averages are 8.3ºC(46.94ºF) , it has near 3000 hours of yearly sun and the mean annual temperature is 18.2ºC. This climate I think that is perfect for spotting more Roystoneas, as the one on the photo, it looks amazing, and this is in the city, there are places in the island with even warmer microclimates which arrive to 19ºC mean annual temperature and the January averages are like 16/9 and the temperature even never arrived under +0.5ºC, as the lowest recorded in the city was -0.1ºC in 4 February of 2012:  

http://www.aemet.es/es/serviciosclimaticos/datosclimatologicos/efemerides_extremos*?w=0&k=bal&l=B228&datos=det&x=B228&m=13&v=todos

"One user has this beauty in his garden" Yes, she is a beauty  :lol:,  but I need to know how to delete this hahaha!!

OMG what is this?!? When I've made this post this was a Tinypic image showing a Roystonea in a garden from Mallorca, not this! :blink: 

It seems that the image expired... I'm contacting PALM MOD to see what can we do :lol:

Edited by pRoeZa*

• 4 years later...

Cuban Royal... now for sale in New Zealand.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/outdoor-garden-conservatory/plants-trees/palms-ferns/listing-2862562537.htm?rsqid=8fd73ff251c14d97a3acbc4b7153c3cb-001 

What do you folks think, how much heat do these need to survive and thrive? There's plenty of frost free areas of northern New Zealand, but not the summer heat of Florida or the Caribbean.

2 hours ago, sipalms said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/outdoor-garden-conservatory/plants-trees/palms-ferns/listing-2862562537.htm?rsqid=8fd73ff251c14d97a3acbc4b7153c3cb-001 

What do you folks think, how much heat do these need to survive and thrive? There's plenty of frost free areas of northern New Zealand, but not the summer heat of Florida or the Caribbean.

$285 for a one gallon pot?  Out of the question.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

35 minutes ago, WaianaeCrider said:

$285 for a one gallon pot?  Out of the question.

I know, right? Ridiculous! 

The guy must have sneaked some seeds into the country, have never ever seen or heard of this palm here before.

I wonder if the Côte d’Azur has any royals. We know Archontophoenix grow in Menton so I wouldn’t be surprised if that climate could also support royals.

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

5 hours ago, sipalms said:

From what I’ve seen they struggle without heat even if the climate is frost free. They don’t grow well here in Melbourne. There have been a few that have survived for a while but never look good. Pretty similar to Wodyetia in terms of heat requirement or maybe even slightly more so. 

My gut feel is that would struggle in Auckland due to lack of heat. I noticed Dypsis lutescens was struggling in the Auckland Botanic Gardens when I visited, and Roystonea needs even more heat to grow well. They might do ok up around Bay of Islands or Kerikeri. 

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

On 11/1/2015 at 5:16 AM, Cluster said:

Hello Proeza I do not know of any Roystonea in the Azores, but it should be quite happy there:). Viana do Castelo has lower lows (during spring and summer only), but the highs are higher than Monaco throughout the year, except late spring and summer where they are equal, being in the ocean though the lowest records are probably not lower than south France. It is probably very hard to work there, but I would give it a try in a good micro-climate:) just to see how it fares.

I will let you know if I find any Roystonea in Azores or northern Portugal! For now the best person to raise one would be Rafael, I believe he might be able to.

There is at least one large Roystonea in a private garden here in S. Miguel, and it looks great. It's behind walls and not easy to photograph, and I've tried to know on the owner's door, a known palm collector here, to no avail. I believe there are others. These would obviously not the most northernmost as we sit below parallel 38. I'm sure there are others. I have what was sold as a Roystonea but came to find out it's probably a A. Maxima or Alexandrae. Not easy to get certain things here.

IMG_20200915_091755.thumb.jpg.e6a9291750f0697f757e9afaf367bd3b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

São Miguel, Azores, 37N, Zone 11B, Elevation 110m, Yearly average 18c (64F), Record low 4c (40F), Record high 30 (86F)