IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Roystonea violacea (Purple Royal Palm) and/or roystonea borinquena (Puerto Rico Royal Palm) wanted

Visgoth

Hey y'all I'm kinda desperately (haha), searching for seeds of either of these species of Royals. It's almost impossible it seems to find anyone selling either,  Purple Royal Palm especially. Seeds seedlings anything tbh. I have checked all the usual suspects for seeds RPS in particular, and I've scoured online in just in general for upwards of a week now. It seems they come and go from RPS depending on time of year, but currently nothing to be found anywhere it seems. If anyone has either species, or knows where to find either I'd be very grateful.

Thank you so much in advance. I'm a new user I've been reading various threads on here for quite some time before just making my account. This is a great forum.

- I'm in Central Florida if that's relevant.

22 hours ago, Visgoth said:

Hey y'all I'm kinda desperately (haha), searching for seeds of either of these species of Royals. It's almost impossible it seems to find anyone selling either,  Purple Royal Palm especially. Seeds seedlings anything tbh. I have checked all the usual suspects for seeds RPS in particular, and I've scoured online in just in general for upwards of a week now. It seems they come and go from RPS depending on time of year, but currently nothing to be found anywhere it seems. If anyone has either species, or knows where to find either I'd be very grateful.

Thank you so much in advance. I'm a new user I've been reading various threads on here for quite some time before just making my account. This is a great forum.

- I'm in Central Florida if that's relevant.

They DO pop up for sale on RPS after harvest time. Check weekly NOV-DEC timeframe.:greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Thank you for that info!! I do have the email notifications up, but having a timeframe is very helpful. I'm currently growing a few "delonix regia flavida" (Yellow Royal Poinciana) trees in pots and the reason I want these palms is because I'd of course like to get the growing process started. These trees and palms will remain potted probably till Spring 2023 earliest. Want to get some size on them first. So late Autumn is the time frame for harvesting and selling, unfortunate but I can live with that. Rather wait to get THE species I want, than cave in and get just normal roystonea regia's (which are always abundant online and quite a few can be seen in person locally).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have many big Roystonea borinquenas but suspect hurricane Ian knocked down the tiny seeds making them even harder than usual to find! 

However glad to share some when I find them.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

On 9/30/2022 at 6:57 PM, Cindy Adair said:

I have many big Roystonea borinquenas but suspect hurricane Ian knocked down the tiny seeds making them even harder than usual to find! 

However glad to share some when I find them.

Hurricane Ian was unbelievable, the devastation left in it's wake isn't even fully accounted for yet in Florida or Puerto Rico., I hope you and your family are ok!! Thank you for your offer, please contact me (or can I contact you?) when you have a fair amount of seeds since palms are finicky with germination.  My family is Puerto Rican so this species has sentimental value which is why I'm aiming for it.

Thanks for your kind words Visgoth.

You can feel free to remind me using the private messaging system on PT which will go straight to my email inbox.

And if you visit your family here bring them and visit my place if you have time.

Cindy Adair

• 1 year later...

Roystonea Violacea continues to be an impossible palm to find in seeds or seedling form:crying:.  Bumping this in hopes that someone has managed to find any.