IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. This is probably my first post on the forum and thanks for having me. Since I went on my trip to the Philippines I spotted a “Dypsis” looking type of palm and I couldn’t decide whether its Dypsis sp “Mahajanga” or Dypsis Prestoniana. If any of you guys know what type of Dypsis this could be I would be happy to know. Thanks lordbiznezz.👍😁
  3. I got a Pseudobombax ellipticum 'pink' from Morelos, the mexican state where it is native, this is the first tree I have bought online, I normally only buy palms online. As you can see it is seed grown (note the base of the plant) it still doesn't push leaves. Has anyone's pink form pseudobombax pushed leaves yet?
  4. Looking Glass

For some, Florida drought is getting very "extreme"

It didn’t materialize yesterday here. We got a brief shower, not enough to make a puddle. Woke up to the lawn all shriveled up begging for a drink, which I had to provide.
  5. redbeard917

sabal causiarum shriveling up

Nice. It's funny to read people saying that Sabals need well-drained soil in a pot, because in the wild they grow in standing water. I'm sure they're right about their experiences with pot culture because there are many variables, but it's an odd contrast. I have a Caribbean Sabal, pretty sure it was Domingensis or Causiarum, and it is just not cold hardy for me in zone 8b. Pretty much loses every frond most winters, and is slow to grow back.
  6. … and i just read beyond the first post and saw that you live in Florida. 😑
  7. Ordinarily I would not dare disagree with @PalmatierMeg because she has probably forgotten more in the last year than I have learned since buying my first palm, but I have a slightly different take on these palms’ preference for water. They certainly are prone to fungal and bacterial infections in humid climates, and they certainly do prefer arid ones. No argument there. However, I suspect these palms actually can’t be overwatered in a hot, dry climate. The reason I say that is because I have seen TONS of these naturalized in the strip of desert between Bullhead City and Parker in Arizona, and they’re always huge and they’re always growing in the same conditions. They are on the shore of a bureau of reclamation managed reservoir (or dammed strip of Colorado River) where the water level is constant, and they’re always growing right at the water line. Often, their trunks are just barely kissing the water. The soil those are growing in is definitely saturated 24/7/365, and they all seem to love it. That, however, is about the hottest, driest climate in the US. If you live somewhere like that, I wouldn’t worry about overwatering. Some commercial date growing operations - which use a palm in the same genus to produce fruit - use 300+ gallons of water per palm per day. If you’re in Florida or Mississippi or something though, then nothing I said applies to you. lol
  8. exoticalia

Jubaea for sale

How do I get one of these? Can I use PayPal to pay for it and what would be the shipping cost?
  9. I typed that wrong. The ones I got ~4 years ago grew up to about 15 feet tall with several pups and doinkers. They got burned badly 2 winters in a row at about 26 to 28F with frost. The first time they grew back fairly quickly, but the second time they got a crown and trunk rot and "failed to thrive." I cut them down and trashed them. The ones in the photo were seedlings in 2020, planted as two triples in May and December 2021. I'd guess they will start seriously growing this year. They have canopy from my last remaining 70ft tall water oak now, so they have been in a lot of shade.
  10. That's a good way to put it! Any scrap of liquid you can glean out of the sky between now and rainy season helps. Nothing showing on the long range forecast as far as serious rain chances. The cool front managed to drop just enough water to put leopard spots on the car - nothing impactful as far as the garden goes. Did you ever get any showers down there?
  11. Thanks! Once it’s done with recovery It’s gonna go straight in the ground! I did plant the other one the day before I left because I knew it had a better chance at taking care of itself in the ground, since I wouldn’t be able to watch them for 2 weeks with no access to water and it’s doing great!
  12. I took it out of its old nursery bag, planted it in its new pot with some new soil to fill around it, and hit it with hydrogen peroxide maybe once or twice. Then, I watered it when I thought it needed it, and I left for a trip for 2 weeks. I'm not entirely sure what might have corrected it, but I'm guessing it could be either the fertilizer that's already in the soil, which may have addressed a nutrient deficiency, or having more space and holding water longer. Before In the bag, there was still an okay amount of soil but not enough to spread out, and the roots were crowding the bottom. also, I hadn’t really fertilized them in a long time—it's probably been about a year since I last used anything like palmgain. So I'm guessing if a palm is starting to look rough, the best thing to do is give it a chance and repot it in some good soil it will like, then hope for the best and just do the things people do if the spear pulls, just in case. 😂
  13. OC2Texaspalmlvr

sabal causiarum shriveling up

Nice job of not giving up on it ! I'm guessing for sure your gonna plant the other one soon. This is a palm that much rather be in the ground. T J
  14. @ZPalms so what treatments did you do to save it? It sounds like it more or less fixed itself after repotting and drenching it? Did you treat the spear pull or anything?
  15. Today
  16. I should have specified better in that I came across this somewhere on the internet. I did not come up with this myself and out of the sheer absurdity I simply downloaded it and reposted it here for everyone to roll their eyes at. I apologize if my lack of clarity may have have made it seem if it was something I came up with. I don't THINK that's the way it was perceived, Bo, but I just thought I would clarify, just in case. True that, no credits.... HOW RUDE!
  17. A consolidated list of all palms and cycads to be sold has been posted on the SFPS website.
  18. It’s the same mix I used before, I think it wanted more room, It’s just sta-green shrub and tree soil I think and some perlite 🤠
  19. The consolidated list has been posted to the SFPS website. There are 281 species of palms and 50 species of cycads being offered. Tours of the Palmetum and Arboretum will be offered free of charge on both days.
  20. Factoring in everything, not a bad amount of rainfall compared to the rest of the country, regardless. There will be local variation. But, we should use a general rule of thumb for this Southeastern Florida area. This area is very far from being a desert oasis. Those average annual yearly amounts are impressive.
  21. Yesterday
  22. When the last of the killing humidity finished a few weeks ago, my garden has had a rapid growth spurt. A weekend of constant heavy rain, cool nights and warm days will boost everything even more before the cold period sets in. I had intended to have a planting spree last week but was too busy with other things and now the moon is in the wrong phase for guaranteed successful planting. Hopefully it will still be warm enough to plant when the moon's waxing phase begins again. Meanwhile after all this rampant growth I have a lot of pruning to do and a lot of ground levelling for the new fish pond that is my winter project for this year. Peachy
  23. Looks happier in the drier media
  24. https://southeastfloridaclimatecompact.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/2020-Climate-Indicators-2.pdf
  25. Local observation: PB Country has two seasons. May-early November= Warm/ wet; November-May=Cooler/drier. Koeppen designates this in a sweeping variation of. Tropical Savanna/Tropical Monsoon. Warm/ wet/ November-May is characterized by high humidity and threatening thunderstorms. You must also add in Hurricane Season, which can dramatically skew results. The standard guess for annual rainfall in SE Florida is 53 inches a year, 75% of which comes during the wet season (39.75 inches v 13.25 inches/ dry season). The numbers are “ ballpark” and subject to dramatic alterations. Specifically, I can remember a golf superintendent buddy of mine, who faithfully kept a rain gauge on a golf course located substantially west of the Florida turnpike and I-95. His buddy was also a golf superintendent, located at the Palm Beach Par 3, located directly on the ocean. They both kept rain gauges faithfully for at least that one year. The results were quite interesting. At the golf course located west of the Turnpike, that super recorded over 110 inches for that year. Parenthetically, during the same 12 month period, the golf superintendent located on the ocean recorded 33 inches. That year was particularly dry for the barrier island of PB, because in March of that year there was a super-coastal rainfall event, which dumped 22 inches of rain in what can only be described as a strange tropical event. It was strong enough to have some effect on the western location but in large order its effect on the western location was minimal (5-7 inches). The Breaker’s Ocean golf course was literally underwater for many days. However, the seabreeze that year was particularly strong and deflected all thunderstorm activity from reaching the ocean. Correspondingly, PB could only be properly categorized as dry. By comparison, this year’s wet season has been very wet. Worst of all, the thunderstorm activity that is usually kept west of I-95, has frequently hit the coast. I believe someone described this as a “Super El Niño” and while I am not apt to flow with stereotypical representations, this would adequately describe this year. The dry season is approximately the remaining 6 months and spreads roughly 13.25 inches over the timeframe, resulting in approximately 2.2 inches a month. Of this average amount, it may easily fall in one day during a frontal stall, making the rest of the month to seem desert like. This is when we experience our respite from intense heat and humidity and why all the folks come down here from Connecticut! What is the role of the Gulfstream/Florida Current on rainfall in PB County? I have no doubt that the strange out of the ordinary dumps (22 inches in one day), result from a related tropical phenomenon resulting from its nearby presence. At the same time, I would argue that its strength and location enhances the sea breeze that keeps the thunderstorms largely at bay in comparison to the mainland. An enigma wrapped in a riddle…
  26. Thanks for sharing the photo of your Howea, @Harry’s Palms. I have a friend who has two that look a lot like yours. I love it when they do that.
  27. D. Morrowii

D. Lafazamanga

Thats nice to hear! I just picked up a couple from Floribunda and was thinking they would be super difficult. I was wondering where I was going to find more full shade to hide them in. You think the heat effects the color?
  28. I love it! One of my favorite palms on a shirt!
  1. Load more activity