IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Looking to confirm a deficiency or possibly lethal bronzing

Jdash

Pretty new to the community and learning. Picked up two coccothrinax argentatas and recently planted them. They're 7gal size and looked like this when purchased. Recently reading up on lethal bronzing, it had me worried that these are symptoms, possible leaf bronzing and necrosis inflorescent. Could this possibly just be a potassium deficiency rather? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

PXL_20240301_213707245.jpg

PXL_20240301_213710269.jpg

PXL_20240301_213627137.jpg

PXL_20240301_213632003.jpg

PXL_20240301_213623423.jpg

hola JDASH. The newer leaves look great from what I can tell. I don't know about lethal bronzing, but perhaps that is the oldest leaf and usually goes through changes as it browns out. I defer to more experienced minds, but I would just cut that offending one off.

• Upvote 1

I find fruit drop,like you pictured, fairly common for my palms under several conditions. Recent transplant, drought, cold, and their first few attempts to flower. The oldest leaf, to me, doesn’t look abnormal. 

Are you giving them plenty of water?

Edited by Hurricanepalms
  • Like 1

Looks like transplant shock (cultural) issue

Zone 6b maritime climate

On 3/2/2024 at 8:00 AM, Hurricanepalms said:

I find fruit drop,like you pictured, fairly common for my palms under several conditions. Recent transplant, drought, cold, and their first few attempts to flower. The oldest leaf, to me, doesn’t look abnormal. 

Are you giving them plenty of water?

they are receiving good amount of water since planted. good to know they don't look abnormal, will continue to water and monitor 

I agree with above…. It just looks pretty beat up, but will likely grow out of it with good care, feeding,  and establishment over time.  You shouldn’t have to flood it with water in the dry season.  Just regular watering.  These grow naturally around here in dry, sunny, sandy spots.  They are pretty drought tolerant, especially during the cooler dry season.  Very slow growers though.   Great looking palms over time with the ribbon leaflets and silver undersides.  

IMG_0005.jpeg.f2fcb78820b5359c087ce6a2b77d9e12.jpeg

IMG_0006.thumb.webp.504ef79e036a98ae4ff003801cf9d4f0.webp

• Like 4

Root damage (hypoxic dysfunction, rot) from overwatering can also produce leaf loss like this. Just a reminder

Edited by Leelanau Palms
  • Like 2

Zone 6b maritime climate