Jump to content
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg

Texas Palms


MarcusH

Recommended Posts

I like palms.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a long horn baseball cap does that count?   LoL.  You guys have fun 🤩 
 

C376DE05-37B0-4C99-93E3-BDCAF5628EB5.png

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Texas Palms are cool, the only thing cooler would be a Texas Palm pic thread… 🤫

3836199D-0567-46BA-BEDE-35DEF50958D8.thumb.jpeg.369781696de141f9fd6ebfdfd3656553.jpegC30D16EA-C78C-4B9A-A217-84DC9D9A7F0D.thumb.jpeg.2f8f09d24852182dc89945aaeeaa484a.jpegC0447732-488B-48B2-A3F6-C81CBC6528E0.thumb.jpeg.ad2fb7c6afff03a1941b32f2c402a8e9.jpeg7FC8B719-1B22-486C-A374-3FB455D23FDB.thumb.jpeg.a7dc7194d0d58bd0bb531d2cd9d1e6e2.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Dwarf Fan said:

Texas Palms are cool, the only thing cooler would be a Texas Palm pic thread… 🤫

3836199D-0567-46BA-BEDE-35DEF50958D8.thumb.jpeg.369781696de141f9fd6ebfdfd3656553.jpegC30D16EA-C78C-4B9A-A217-84DC9D9A7F0D.thumb.jpeg.2f8f09d24852182dc89945aaeeaa484a.jpegC0447732-488B-48B2-A3F6-C81CBC6528E0.thumb.jpeg.ad2fb7c6afff03a1941b32f2c402a8e9.jpeg7FC8B719-1B22-486C-A374-3FB455D23FDB.thumb.jpeg.a7dc7194d0d58bd0bb531d2cd9d1e6e2.jpeg

Lol I agree but we were just waiting on you Dan to put up the first pictures.  Now I need your help by identifying that Phoenix Date Palm. I have a hard time identifying them but how can I know if it's a Dactylifera or Silvestris ? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MarcusH said:

Lol I agree but we were just waiting on you Dan to put up the first pictures.  Now I need your help by identifying that Phoenix Date Palm. I have a hard time identifying them but how can I know if it's a Dactylifera or Silvestris ? 

Im going downtown soon I'll take and post pics later the day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I ended up going to San Antonio’s historic district "King William" since free parking spaces were already taken downtown.  While San Antonio isn't known for growing palms in masses , this side of town is a good example what can grow long term . By mentioning long term I'm talking about 50 yrs and more.  Sabal palms , Washingtonia Filifera/Filibusta are pretty much bulletproof across the metro . These palms are our bred and butter palms and can handle our extreme temperatures from very cold to very hot.  Palms in the San Antonio metro are very infrequently planted where sometimes they're planted in groups or lining up the streets (rare) and sometimes there's no palm around .  I see a lot of newly planted  young Washies in people's yards though.  The city has learned from the February 2021 polar vortex and stopped zone pushing palms for the most part but they're some exceptions.  Sabal palms are on the rise .  It's sad that our big box stores mostly offer palms that are either iffy or a no go.  Anyway here are a few pictures that I took on this sunny warm day this morning.  Enjoy!

20240219_105612.jpg

20240219_104759.jpg

20240219_103736.jpg

20240219_103702.jpg

20240219_103135.jpg

20240219_102259.jpg

20240219_102218.jpg

20240219_102117.jpg

20240219_101610.jpg

20240219_102005.jpg

20240219_101850.jpg

20240219_101232.jpg

20240219_101542.jpg

20240219_101204.jpg

20240219_101051.jpg

20240219_104759.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, MarcusH said:

Lol I agree but we were just waiting on you Dan to put up the first pictures.  Now I need your help by identifying that Phoenix Date Palm. I have a hard time identifying them but how can I know if it's a Dactylifera or Silvestris ? 

Here you go Marcus, a picture is worth a thousand words:

Phoenix dactylifera (N. Padre Island, TX)

78779D00-486F-47D1-96F7-FC8B0FB2D4F6.thumb.jpeg.6a7ae542d192cf01aeea08d80b7655e0.jpeg

Phoenix sylvestris (Mustang Island, TX)771727D4-9623-484B-A07F-B310E4F4B4F9.thumb.jpeg.d40d986e3fc70ab140d3c3fe404eed83.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Dwarf Fan said:

Here you go Marcus, a picture is worth a thousand words:

Phoenix dactylifera (N. Padre Island, TX)

78779D00-486F-47D1-96F7-FC8B0FB2D4F6.thumb.jpeg.6a7ae542d192cf01aeea08d80b7655e0.jpeg

Phoenix sylvestris (Mustang Island, TX)771727D4-9623-484B-A07F-B310E4F4B4F9.thumb.jpeg.d40d986e3fc70ab140d3c3fe404eed83.jpeg

Got it!!!! Sylvestris has a more dense crown 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MarcusH said:

Got it!!!! Sylvestris has a more dense crown 

^^^ Bingo! The P. dactylifera is more airy and open.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks like the same guy that planted that Med palm, also installed that fire hydrant.

LOL.png.cce4664d19f53814c84e60b984c56005.png

 

20240219_105612.thumb.jpg.82c1ce87e80da2e4f79012769973b50c.jpg.607a096d34eacca8d0e9e9b916b30843.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was the other thread deleted? I haven't been on in a while.

That's really too bad if it was, I was trying to keep track of before and after photos in there as time went on. :(

  • Like 2

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, fr8train said:

Was the other thread deleted? I haven't been on in a while.

That's really too bad if it was, I was trying to keep track of before and after photos in there as time went on. :(

Yes, it was deleted.  A disheartening Valentine's Day surprise.  I hadn't seen a thread being lost like that on PalmTalk in quite some time.  Unfortunately, only bits and pieces of the thread (pages 1,2, & 5-8) were preserved in the Internet Archive before it went offline:

web.archive.org/web/20230930143056/https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/topic/77215-texas-palm-photos/

web.archive.org/web/20231207100646/https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/topic/77215-texas-palm-photos/?&page=2

web.archive.org/web/20231129181927/https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/topic/77215-texas-palm-photos/?&page=5

web.archive.org/web/20231129180915/https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/topic/77215-texas-palm-photos/?&page=6

web.archive.org/web/20230921182236/https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/topic/77215-texas-palm-photos/?&page=7

web.archive.org/web/20231129174631/https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/topic/77215-texas-palm-photos/?&page=8

Edited by mulungu
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

It looks like the same guy that planted that Med palm, also installed that fire hydrant.

LOL.png.cce4664d19f53814c84e60b984c56005.png

 

20240219_105612.thumb.jpg.82c1ce87e80da2e4f79012769973b50c.jpg.607a096d34eacca8d0e9e9b916b30843.jpg

Lol I haven't noticed it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, CTX Palm King said:

Snapped this today in San Antonio. Looks like a Filifera.

IMG_3457.thumb.jpeg.390c438d8ae7f64e8f5a8e43fc079f1e.jpeg

Sometimes it's hard to tell because here in San Antonio we don't really have something 100 percent pure there's always something else mixed with it but I can say our Filiferas  are 80 to 90 percent pure ( my guess) . Correct me if I'm wrong .  The palm you've posted shows the fronds with vibrant green color so it might be a Filibusta I'm not that sure. The Filiferas I see here have more of a dull off green color and deeper cut outs on the frond .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, fr8train said:

Thank you.

Maybe I missed the post, but why was that thread deleted?

You can blame it on me because that admin didn't like me saying that dead palm trees are a safety hazard for others and they also look ugly . That person disagreed with me which I don't have no problem of course but he kind of advised to keep the dead palm trees up and let nature handle it because some rare parrot in Texas uses it for housing.  Makes sense outside of a residential area but within hmmm ? Dead palm trees rott and sooner or later that telephone pole might collapse during a windy day and cause damage to your or neighbor's home or I go even further a piece of trunk falls on someone's head.  A human life is more important than an animal life but that's just me.  After going back and forth the person had a meltdown then apparently deleted the thread.  Sorry !! Oh I also forgot that I said Texans are lazy lol well look around you all the litter and overgrown grass makes sense right? 

Edited by MarcusH
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m surprised how well Dactylifera has preformed in the Houston area south of 1-10 they appear to have little / no damage .

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MarcusH said:

You can blame it on me because that admin didn't like me saying that dead palm trees are a safety hazard for others and they also look ugly . That person disagreed with me which I don't have no problem of course but he kind of advised to keep the dead palm trees up and let nature handle it because some rare parrot in Texas uses it for housing.  Makes sense outside of a residential area but within hmmm ? Dead palm trees rott and sooner or later that telephone pole might collapse during a windy day and cause damage to your or neighbor's home or I go even further a piece of trunk falls on someone's head.  A human life is more important than an animal life but that's just me.  After going back and forth the person had a meltdown then apparently deleted the thread.  Sorry !! Oh I also forgot that I said Texans are lazy lol well look around you all the litter and overgrown grass makes sense right? 

I am on several hobby forums and this one is very respectful for the most part. If any post crossed the line the Mod(s) should be able to delete a post or two and send a message to any member they feel “crossed a line” or broke forum rules.

 I respectfully will go on record saying that deleting an entire thread with hundreds upon hundreds of on topic Palm photos contributed over a long period of time by multiple members seems overly heavy handed for using the word “lazy”.

In other forums warnings by Private Message or a few days time out to the parties participating in the incident would seem appropriate.

But nuking such a beautiful long running thread seemed a bit much IMHO.

Sabal mexicana

7052A5DE-970E-4A4C-9B5D-2DF46AE2C2CC.thumb.jpeg.8475f7800a03238d64d34ca2305ae253.jpeg

Syagrus romanzoffianaC9F7FF47-72D3-4000-9FE7-2401A98016FF.thumb.jpeg.da730bec0c16a6e53a764d5a60837f06.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's sad that it ended up like this. We could have come to an agreement I honestly was thinking about messaging him . I don't like this situation but we should be able to disagree without turning every disagreement into a drama. I don't expect everybody to agree with me because I can't always be right and lots of other people in this forum have way more knowledge about palms , geography , meteorology or even protection methods than me.  Some of you guys are true palm nerds who take things to a whole different level lol but that's totally fine.  We don't hurt nobody with our hobby . Let's not be overly sensitive about different opinions.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dwarf Fan said:

 I respectfully will go on record saying that deleting an entire thread with hundreds upon hundreds of on topic Palm photos contributed over a long period of time by multiple members seems overly heavy handed for using the word “lazy”.

In the Mod's defense, being a moderator for a gardening forum isn't a full time job, which is why they had volunteer mod applications a year ago, but going and messaging everyone who's causing issues is honestly a waste of time for someone who has a full time job and a life, better to cut the head off and get on going ykwim?

  • Like 1

Lucas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Cade said:

I’m curious if this coconut planted in Corpus Christi last year is still alive ? 

IMG_0019.jpeg

That's surprisingly small for a coconut palm, especially the leaves being so short from the scale of the image.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Cade said:

I’m curious if this coconut planted in Corpus Christi last year is still alive ? 

IMG_0019.jpeg

Seriously doubt it survived, but if you have an address or cross streets send me a PM and I will go check and take a pic of whatever I find.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Dwarf Fan said:

Seriously doubt it survived, but if you have an address or cross streets send me a PM and I will go check and take a pic of whatever I find.

I believe it’s in the Flour bluff area . I’ve tried contacting the owner no response 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Cade said:

There’s also two large foxtails next to it so can’t miss it haha 

I was hopping for a cross street not a whole community to search… 🤔

This wouldn’t be John’s house in Flour Bluff (Mr. Coconut Palm) by any chance would it?

44 minutes ago, Cade said:

I believe it’s in the Flour bluff area . I’ve tried contacting the owner no response 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

DC254553-9255-4F4E-9F05-87828E7FA004.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Dwarf Fan said:

I was hopping for a cross street not a whole community to search… 🤔

This wouldn’t be John’s house in Flour Bluff (Mr. Coconut Palm) by any chance would it?

DC254553-9255-4F4E-9F05-87828E7FA004.png

No not John 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Little Tex said:

In the Mod's defense, being a moderator for a gardening forum isn't a full time job, which is why they had volunteer mod applications a year ago, but going and messaging everyone who's causing issues is honestly a waste of time for someone who has a full time job and a life, better to cut the head off and get on going ykwim?

I have been head mod on large forums in the past and the issue here is that an entire thread was deleted with hundreds of photos and contributions from several people who had nothing to do with the issue. Such threads are important for documentation purposes so it feels a bit heavy handed. Even if someone broke forum rules, simply deleting individual posts and a formal warning should suffice. Also, its not like these forums are experiencing anything close to the flame wars seen on some other platforms... we may have drama once a month at the most! 

Admittedly, its usually the Texans causing problems though...
😇😁

Edited by Swolte
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Swolte said:

I have been head mod on large forums in the past and the issue here is that an entire thread was deleted with hundreds of photos and contributions from several people who had nothing to do with the issue. Such threads are important for documentation purposes so it feels a bit heavy handed. Even if someone broke forum rules, simply deleting individual posts and a formal warning should suffice. Also, its not like these forums are experiencing anything close to the flame wars seen on some other platforms... we may have drama once a month at the most! 

Admittedly, its usually the Texans causing problems though...
😇😁

I don't think I broke any rules I didn't call anybody names or anything like that . It was a back and forth disagreement which didn't even take long. 2 people against me. If you can't handle criticism (dead palms vs rare bird) on a social media platform and you know you get a mental breakdown just don't get involved into discussions because you might face people who aren't on the same frequency.  I don't sugar coat anything I'm also not the type of guy who catches butterflies and look at my stamp book while eating oat meal before I go to bed if you know what I mean . Each to their own .  Everybody should be entitled to express their opinions but at the end it's about facts and not opinions and some people like to stay in their world of rainbows and unicorns.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Cade said:

I’m curious if this coconut planted in Corpus Christi last year is still alive ? 

IMG_0019.jpeg

It was protected during the freeze so I assume it's doing fine, I drove past it after the freeze and saw the protection, I don't know if it had supplemental heat or not.  My coconuts have been growing great post-freeze, I lost the ends of the fronds that were too tall to reach but everything else looks great.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Swolte said:

I have been head mod on large forums in the past and the issue here is that an entire thread was deleted with hundreds of photos and contributions from several people who had nothing to do with the issue. Such threads are important for documentation purposes so it feels a bit heavy handed. Even if someone broke forum rules, simply deleting individual posts and a formal warning should suffice. Also, its not like these forums are experiencing anything close to the flame wars seen on some other platforms... we may have drama once a month at the most! 

Admittedly, its usually the Texans causing problems though...
😇😁

I have been a mod too, usually its handled that way.  I'm pretty sure they've done it on here in the past, and I've seen some threads just locked and left up.  Maybe just a mistake or oversight this time.  I'm sure its not lost, just hidden.

Just for fun.  Here are two of my neighbors Washies that died a while back.  Woodpeckers live in them.  But notice the one on the right with the big hunk dangling off the side!  You think you might want to care of that...

IMG_9086.jpeg

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I have been a mod too, usually its handled that way.  I'm pretty sure they've done it on here in the past, and I've seen some threads just locked and left up.  Maybe just a mistake or oversight this time.  I'm sure its not lost, just hidden.

Just for fun.  Here are two of my neighbors Washies that died a while back.  Woodpeckers live in them.  But notice the one on the right with the big hunk dangling off the side!  You think you might want to care of that...

IMG_9086.jpeg

The most common sight across Houston lol so pretty 🙂😆

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I have been a mod too, usually its handled that way.  I'm pretty sure they've done it on here in the past, and I've seen some threads just locked and left up.  Maybe just a mistake or oversight this time.  I'm sure its not lost, just hidden.

Just for fun.  Here are two of my neighbors Washies that died a while back.  Woodpeckers live in them.  But notice the one on the right with the big hunk dangling off the side!  You think you might want to care of that...

IMG_9086.jpeg

Most likely  casualties from 2021 not really that long ago but you clearly see the rotten process.  I wouldn't want to be living right next to those dead palm trees. That what my point is all this time cut those trees down could care less of some birds using it for housing.  Plenty of other healthy trees left.  

Edited by MarcusH
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Cade said:

The most common sight across Houston lol so pretty 🙂😆

Hey do you want to challenge me ? I could send you an entire album of dead palm trees around San Antonio lol.  Dead palm trees are a trademark of San Antonio 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...