• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

SALOttawa

Has anyone in this group heard of tomentum? I am getting a white sticky substance on some of my palms. I have had this issue in the past as well. I had always assumed it was a fungus. However, I cam across a post on Facebook where someone had an issue with a similar substance. Someone else commented and claimed it was tomentum. They claim it is normal and not harmful. I tried to do a bit of research. I did not find a great deal of information about it, but I have always treated it as a fungus by cleaning it off and then spraying with copper fungicide. It usually occurs on my TFs but I have also had problems with it on some dracaneas. When it is present, the plant always appears less healthy and if left too long it becomes very stressed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

It was me talking about tomentum on Facebook houseplant groups 🤣😆👍🏻

protective coating.  Nothing to worry about.

Yeah I mean if it’s mealy and not the tomentum then for sure 👍🏻👍🏻 but here it is in my glossary of Riffle/Craft/Zona encyclopedia ❤️

image.jpg

1 hour ago, SALOttawa said:

So, if tomentum is hairy, it shouldn’t feel sticky, right? So therefore it must be something else?

Sticky is mealy bugs for sure.  Trachy tomentum looks like this 

image.jpg

• Upvote 2

Yea tomentum has a brownish color.

Pure fuzzy white like that is definitely mealy bugs.

Assuming this palm spends most of its time indoors since you're in zone 5a, I'd always have some natural horticulture spray on hand to douse it every other week because these bugs will just keep coming back.

The mealy bugs don't bother my other plants for some reason, just palms. 🤷‍♂️

45 minutes ago, floridaPalmMan said:

Yea tomentum has a brownish color.

Pure fuzzy white like that is definitely mealy bugs.

Assuming this palm spends most of its time indoors since you're in zone 5a, I'd always have some natural horticulture spray on hand to douse it every other week because these bugs will just keep coming back.

The mealy bugs don't bother my other plants for some reason, just palms. 🤷‍♂️

Nice thumbnail. Looks like Vincente Fernandez (RIP). I'd recommend horticultural oil for indoor palms in that zone. In z7 or warmer, there are enough intermittent nice days to drag plants outside and use insecticide and to flood the rootzone.

Thanks everyone. I gave them an insecticide spray today. It’s funny. I don’t get this problem on my washies; only my trachies seem to attract them.

10 hours ago, SALOttawa said:

Thanks everyone. I gave them an insecticide spray today. It’s funny. I don’t get this problem on my washies; only my trachies seem to attract them.

Juvenile Sabal mexicana also seems to be susceptible to mealy bugs outdoors but I have never seen them on my Washingtonias or any other Palm.

Sagos also attract Asian Cycad Scale, also easy to treat with non chemical methods (cold coffee spray).

• Upvote 1

On 12/28/2023 at 8:58 AM, SALOttawa said:

Has anyone in this group heard of tomentum?

Here are a couple of examples of tomentum on my palms.  Below in first pic is the top view of my Chamaerops humilis.  You can see the white tomentum on the edges of the newest fronds.

IMG_20231231_140431.jpg

This shot shows the underside of the leaves with lots of tomentum.

IMG_20231231_140441.jpg

Below shows the fuzzy brown tomentum on the leaf bases of a foxtail.  This fuzzy brown tomentum is what gives the Chrysalidocarpus leptocheilos its common name, "teddy bear palm."  Unfortunately my teddies are still too small to get a good shot of the tomentum.

IMG_20231231_140557.thumb.jpg.a9613bf7f0514e7257232a1e8831dd92.jpg

Edited by Fusca

Jon Sunder