• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bulgaria palm tree

jjjemetrious7

I live in zone 7a-6b I saw this Trapycarpus Bulgaria palm tree listing and it says it has lived -17 degrees. Will this live without any protecting or other things in this zone with microclimate

From what I have read many people have had Trachycarpus ‘Bulgaria’ spear pull or get completely fried well before -17F.

I have one just because I was fortunate enough to stumble upon one, but I won’t ever be able to test it’s fabled super Cold Hardy ability in my 9b zone. I am just experimeating to see if it can withstand the nematodes that are supposed kill them and are why no one successfully grows Trachys in beach sand around here.

I have heard it claimed that it basically is like a regular Fortunei and should be Hardy to about 5F below that it can take damage and/or death..

How cold will it see in your zone?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yeah @Dwarf Fan is correct. Was just a marketing scheme to sell more palms. Not saying some aren’t hardier than others, but any Trachycarpus should be considered reliably a zone 7b palm 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Dwarf Fan said:

From what I have read many people have had Trachycarpus ‘Bulgaria’ spear pull or get completely fried well before -17F.

I have one just because I was fortunate enough to stumble upon one, but I won’t ever be able to test it’s fabled super Cold Hardy ability in my 9b zone. I am just experimeating to see if it can withstand the nematodes that are supposed kill them and are why no one successfully grows Trachys in beach sand around here.

I have heard it claimed that it basically is like a regular Fortunei and should be Hardy to about 5F below that it can take damage and/or death..

How cold will it see in your zone?

Which palm tree is best in this zone with trunk

None with a large trunk.  The rule of thumb is that if a Trachycarpus fortunei or Sabal palmetto can't make it, then trunking palms are pretty much out.

Sabal minor (Dwarf Palmetto) will sometimes form a small trunk.  The Sabal 'Louisiana' variant will often get a stout trunk.  Depending on which 6b-7a you're in, you may have to shelter it.  Rhapidophyllum hystrix (Needle Palm) will get a short trunk that is covered in needles like a porcupine.  They need a few years to establish before they reach their maximum hardiness though.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

None with a large trunk.  The rule of thumb is that if a Trachycarpus fortunei or Sabal palmetto can't make it, then trunking palms are pretty much out.

Sabal minor (Dwarf Palmetto) will sometimes form a small trunk.  The Sabal 'Louisiana' variant will often get a stout trunk.  Depending on which 6b-7a you're in, you may have to shelter it.  Rhapidophyllum hystrix (Needle Palm) will get a short trunk that is covered in needles like a porcupine.  They need a few years to establish before they reach their maximum hardiness though.

I live right on zone 7a will Sabal lousiana live with wrapping in cold winters otherwise unprotected

40 minutes ago, ChicagoPalma said:

My last windmill got fried by 21 F and my bulgaria outright reached 18 F and is still fine (minor power outage)

Trachycarpus fortunei should not even notice 21f.  I have many strap leaf seedlings in pots that have seen temps in the high teens, for long durations, without even blinking.   Some of them probably died but the majority were fine and these were seedlings.  Trunking specimens in-ground should be reliable to low teens. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjjemetrious7 said:

I live right on zone 7a will Sabal lousiana live with wrapping in cold winters otherwise unprotected

6 hours ago, jjjemetrious7 said:

Which palm tree is best in this zone with trunk

2 hours ago, jjjemetrious7 said:

What is the coldest temperature record last winter in your city/town?

My research says that if you want a super Cold Hardy TRUNKING Palm in the Sabal genus you might do better with selecting a S. Brazoria Vs. a S. Louisiana… but why not get one of each and see what happens? (I have BOTH species in my backyard.) 

Do keep in mind cold Hardy ability is variable within a species and also varies by plant a bit as well, my research indicates that cold hardiness ratings are a guideline as to what can/should work at a given temperature thawed are many factors such as duration, wetness and frost that can all become variables regarding cold tolerance.

From my notes *this is not a guarantee just what I have researched:

Sabal ‘Brazoriensis’ -15F-0F (reports of surviving -15F) 

Rhapidophyllum Hystrix -15F-0F (reports of surviving -15F) 

Sabal Louisiana’ 5F-6F (damage reported at 6F)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BeyondTheGarden said:

Trachycarpus fortunei should not even notice 21f.  I have many strap leaf seedlings in pots that have seen temps in the high teens, for long durations, without even blinking.   Some of them probably died but the majority were fine and these were seedlings.  Trunking specimens in-ground should be reliable to low teens. 

Ik, but its a comparison, and also I got my palm like sixth generation of the the bulgaria palm, they are sourced from the seed parents.

image.png.20027316c822c8f40aa0f6ff5c27ccb5.png

All I can say is, don't trust anyone who is trying to make money off of you.  And definitely don't trust the people telling you that any Trachycarpus is just fine at -17f.  The bulgaria thing has been beaten to death.  The palm that lasted a short while in Bulgaria died from being too cold, but it was capitalized on by people trying to make money.  No one has ever provided any real evidence that this strain is any hardier than any regular "garden variety" Trachycarpus fortunei.  The big box store variety, plain jane bargian palm, is the hardiest of the genus, until someone has overwhelming evidence otherwise.  Garry Tsen, who collects seed from many palms and many Trachy species in habitat, is claiming that "tesan" is a hardier variety.  I had a bunch of seedlings but I think most got eaten by rats; I was looking forward to seeing how they grew but I won't believe any claims without multi-sourced evidence. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Trachycarpus fortunei “Taylor” form may be a slightly hardier form based on the parent surviving -9F in the 1980’s in Raleigh. I don’t think it’d survive longterm in zone 6b/7a without protection though.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jjjemetrious7 said:

Welcome to the forum.  Can yo give us your exact location?  That would help

• Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 hour ago, jjjemetrious7 said:

Maryland

What are your lowest temps? Don’t you get extended periods of snow?

1 hour ago, Dwarf Fan said:

What are your lowest temps? Don’t you get extended periods of snow?

In january lowest is 27 average low 39 average high there is some snow

There's a few people sell Trachycarpus Fortunei in N.Car thats pretty cold hardy. I'm in the new 7b was 7a. East Tn. I have a Fortunei with a 3 ft trunk that I protect about mid to late dec till early March. I have a couple Bulgaria that does ok but still potted.  As for the sabals. I have Brazoria and Louisiana with pretty much no protection unless it calls for below 10 f. The Fortunei will trunk much quicker but those sabals are nice. Id just get all of them. Also I recommend watching Allen's videos on YouTube. I really don't think the Bulgaria is anymore cold hardier and maybe less than many other Fortunei.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/11/2023 at 8:11 PM, jjjemetrious7 said:

In january lowest is 27 average low 39 average high there is some snow

You can keep the Sabal Louisiana alive through the cold spells by adding the necessary protection (things like burlap, palm protectant spray, heat tape, etc., can be applied).  A pop up greenhouse with greenhouse heater can work.  For what it's worth, the D.C. area already has plenty of Sabal minors and Trachys that are present.  There are certainly dedicated growers there.  If you are in the D.C. area or further East, you shouldn't have to worry about adding protection much.

Edited by RFun