IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Foxpalms

17 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

That i can't say.. May not be warm enough, but that may be just my limited knowledge of what they can tolerate.  That said, on iNat,  someone tagged one or two "alleged" specimens up in San Francisco, which ..while they rarely see a frost or freeze,  San Fran is one of the "coolest" non- frost prone areas of the U.S.  While one of the observations is tagged as "Research Grade", im a bit skeptical the ID is accurate  To my eyes, not enough detailed "details" to be sure the ID is 100% correct. 

Corymbia ficilifolia  will definitely take cool climate conditions.. Fairly common sight over the San Francisco and Monterrey Bay Area, even closer to the coast where persistent fog keeps things cool during the summers. Know for sure they'll also take occasional temps in the 20s w/ out much apparent effect. Mature specimens i grew up seeing daily /weekly never seemed to flinch after those rare events anyway.

Corymbia ficifolia  is a nice one I have. If there are some in San Francisco that's good since they are cooler in the summer than here except inland microclimates.

Edited by Foxpalms

Just now, Foxpalms said:

Corymbia ficilifolia is a nice one I have. If there are some in San Francisco that's good since they are cooler in the summer than here except inland microclimates.

It's a highly under-rated tree..  Doesn't get massive,  Flower "show" is very impressive but  Nectar that is produced by the flowers can be messy,  Seed pods are interesting.. Good in parks, ..but not necessarily street islands / sidewalk cut outs.  Especially valuable summer / fall color in heat-starved areas..

**Correction, I butchered the species name :wacko: it is C. ficifolia .. 🤦‍♂️**

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Pretty sure there are specimens in San Diego, ( Notably, at the San Diego Zoo, and Balboa Park. I'm sure if you dig, you can find threads started regarding S. Cal grown Rainbow Eucs.  )  possibly in other parts of S.Cal as well..  so yea, mature specimens can take a little cold.  Serious and prolonged freezes will cause damage though. 

Can't remember how they fared after the 09-10 freeze in FL. One growing along the fence line of a property next door to where i worked at that time dropped lots of leaves, but was otherwise fine after that freeze.  Hurricane winds? ..That's another story covered well here.

Here are some at UCLA and Huntington Gardens, which is quite a bit inland. Not to derail, but just wondering, do they grow in the Phoenix area? The winters are probably good but I was wondering how they would do with that extreme summer heat. I bet they would do well in a good SF Bay Area microclimate.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alex High said:

Here are some at UCLA and Huntington Gardens, which is quite a bit inland. Not to derail, but just wondering, do they grow in the Phoenix area? The winters are probably good but I was wondering how they would do with that extreme summer heat. I bet they would do well in a good SF Bay Area microclimate.

:greenthumb: Awesome, thanks for sharing.. Figured Huntington would have at least one growing there, haha. 

A Nursery in S. PHX had been offering them, so there should be specimens around, but i've yet to see any.  Imagine, if they're out there ..and well sited /cared for until large enough to fight back the summer sun / extremely low humidity during that part of the summer, they'd do ok here.  That said, i had a small one that fried the first summer here though. 

Same thoughts on how they'd do in Palm Springs, though it seems a few more things seem to tolerate full sun there than i've seen them handle here.  @mnorell might have a better idea on any Rainbow Euc. specimens around Palm Springs..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

:greenthumb: Awesome, thanks for sharing.. Figured Huntington would have at least one growing there, haha. 

A Nursery in S. PHX had been offering them, so there should be specimens around, but i've yet to see any.  Imagine, if they're out there ..and well sited /cared for until large enough to fight back the summer sun / extremely low humidity during that part of the summer, they'd do ok here.  That said, i had a small one that fried the first summer here though. 

Same thoughts on how they'd do in Palm Springs, though it seems a few more things seem to tolerate full sun there than i've seen them handle here.  @mnorell might have a better idea on any Rainbow Euc. specimens around Palm Springs..

The tree comes from mid-elevation, warm, humid forests in the Philippines and New Guinea so one would think they might be unhappy in a dry area. They are perfectly happy in the coastal plain of Southern California, and they would flourish in Florida if it weren't for hurricanes toppling them. The specimens at the UCLA botanical gardens near the medical center have been there for at least forty years, since I was a student there, they were the first that I ever saw. I certainly haven't noticed any in Palm Springs or the other Coachella Valley cities...though I don't see why they couldn't be grown here after acclimation. (I've found that most tropicals just need to grow a new set of leaves with the appropriately adapted cutin...for example, I've had a couple of Saraca growing here for two or three years with not too many complaints, and I would have never thought any of those "handkerchief" trees could make the transition due to the delicacy of their expanding leaves.) But E. deglupta are very tall-growing trees, and that means it becomes impossible after a while to shield them from the worst days of summer, and also in many areas of this valley, from the strong winds that might cause damage. Also people don't like tall trees out here because they want their mountain views...I have never seen so many butchered Jacaranda trees in my life. (They want to be 60-foot trees, to the chagrin of most homeowners.) I adhere to the "three strikes, you're out" rule and try to give any species at least that many tries in varying positions/exposures before passing judgment, to make sure it really does hate the climate....and I'm sure somebody somewhere in the low desert is testing that out.

• Like 4

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)