Florida Winter 2022-2023

JLM

Well, a cold front is expected to dip down through here over the next couple of days, with it comes lower humidity and low overnight temps. Even high temperatures will take a slight ding with highs only in the mid 80's in spots early next week. Lows will be in the mid to upper 60's in spots across northern Florida for a couple nights. It will be our first real taste of "fall". Im almost glad, but i know that this is a sign that ill need to break out the sheets and lights in a few months. Unfortunately, this front will not bring anything to central or south Florida besides some rain, which some of yall might not complain about. Anyways, just figured we could jumpstart the winter season talks considering the hurricane season is imploding on itself right now *knocks on wood*

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Palms - 3 S. romanzoffiana, 2 W. bifurcata, 7 W. robusta, 3 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 P. roebelenii, 2 S. palmetto, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 A. merillii, 3 P. sylvestris

You all have been getting all the rain this summer...well most of FL except the SE coast. I pray this front can veer our winds to the SW so it steers the storms our way.

A lot of warm, untocuhed water in the Ocean and Gulf. They call it a maritime heat wave. I think that will supercharge winter storms, probably sending fronts well down south. I think we will have a lot of ups and downs with very warm vs typically cool temps.

I don't even think anything will form in the WCARB or GOM in October, there seems to be a lot of subsidence and unfavorable conditions. Not sure why it is so rainy over land (Africa, FL, Central America) and so dry over the ocean, tropical waves just collapse upon exiting Africa.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2022 at 8:25 PM, JLM said:

Well, a cold front is expected to dip down through here over the next couple of days, with it comes lower humidity and low overnight temps. Even high temperatures will take a slight ding with highs only in the mid 80's in spots early next week. Lows will be in the mid to upper 60's in spots across northern Florida for a couple nights. It will be our first real taste of "fall". Im almost glad, but i know that this is a sign that ill need to break out the sheets and lights in a few months. Unfortunately, this front will not bring anything to central or south Florida besides some rain, which some of yall might not complain about. Anyways, just figured we could jumpstart the winter season talks considering the hurricane season is imploding on itself right now *knocks on wood*

Hope the summer "cold front" in not the official harbinger of doom for this winter.  At least let our delusions last until Thanksgiving 🙈🙉🙊

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone (2012): 9b | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (1985, 1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a | 30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

53 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Hope the summer "cold front" in not the official harbinger of doom for this winter.  At least let our delusions last until Thanksgiving 🙈🙉🙊

I now have 2 nights in the low 60's in the forecast (tomorrow night 62F, Wednesday night 63F), although rain chances come back by Friday along with the humidity. Like you said, hopefully this doesnt spell doom but if it does, we will be prepared.

• Like 2

Palms - 3 S. romanzoffiana, 2 W. bifurcata, 7 W. robusta, 3 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 P. roebelenii, 2 S. palmetto, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 A. merillii, 3 P. sylvestris

12 hours ago, chinandega81 said:

You all have been getting all the rain this summer...well most of FL except the SE coast. I pray this front can veer our winds to the SW so it steers the storms our way.

A lot of warm, untocuhed water in the Ocean and Gulf. They call it a maritime heat wave. I think that will supercharge winter storms, probably sending fronts well down south. I think we will have a lot of ups and downs with very warm vs typically cool temps.

I don't even think anything will form in the WCARB or GOM in October, there seems to be a lot of subsidence and unfavorable conditions. Not sure why it is so rainy over land (Africa, FL, Central America) and so dry over the ocean, tropical waves just collapse upon exiting Africa.

Keep watch on the 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season thread, im about to make a post there. Things might get interesting this week, but if 2022 has anything to say about it then maybe not. We shall see.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SeanK said:

ATL awoke to 57° (14C) and 59° (15C) past two mornings dry air high of 80°F.

Man do i wish the high temps would have been affected here. Highs got to 89F today despite being 60F this morning. These cooler temps feel great, but we have a mini heatwave coming up next week with highs approaching the low 90's.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JLM said:

Man do i wish the high temps would have been affected here. Highs got to 89F today despite being 60F this morning. These cooler temps feel great, but we have a mini heatwave coming up next week with highs approaching the low 90's.

The forecast has lower temperatures, but the airport hit 89F today while I recorded 92.9F in the yard today.  It has been cooler overall at night in spite of the absolute minimum being about the same, but that is mostly because of overnight rainfall.  The plants really appreciate the long soaking rain vs. the typical deluge/evaporate cycle.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone (2012): 9b | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (1985, 1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a | 30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

This current tiny respite may not last long but it is certainly appreciated and gives hope that we may be moving towards dry season and less oppressive heat and humidity.

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

I got to get through hurricane season first.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.