IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is it time or should I wait?

kbob11

Hi everyone,

I’m just wondering what you think about uncovering my 15gal T. Fortunei.  I am getting a little antsy these days to do some gardening.  Should I wait until lows are in upper 30s? I know it will survive but thrive? 
Thanks!

B61761CA-3D29-43E2-9364-2EC3A39EB72E.png

4 minutes ago, kbob11 said:

Hi everyone,

I’m just wondering what you think about uncovering my 15gal T. Fortunei.  I am getting a little antsy these days to do some gardening.  Should I wait until lows are in upper 30s? I know it will survive but thrive? 
Thanks!

B61761CA-3D29-43E2-9364-2EC3A39EB72E.png

I don't see those temps bothering a trachy at all. Will do it some good to get some sun if it's been covered all winter. 

Are you forecasted to see any nasty dips or is there a general upward trend in temps?

• Like 1

@DAVEinMB  The extended lows seem to be going up.  We might get a brief 28-29 but I feel like the 12hrs of sunlight would be beneficial after 4 months in dark.

Just now, kbob11 said:

@DAVEinMB  The extended lows seem to be going up.  We might get a brief 28-29 but I feel like the 12hrs of sunlight would be beneficial after 4 months in dark.

If it's in a pot you could always insulate the pot itself while you're still hovering around freezing to be safe. Placing it along an east or south facing wall of your house and/or on a concrete patio will also help. 

7 minutes ago, kbob11 said:

It’s in the ground.

Get that baby some sun! :D

Also, ground makes more sense considering you could have just brought it inside instead of covering it...I think I need more caffeine, or maybe a beer. 

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Like 1

Yeah uncover for sure! I don't worry about trachycarpus til bellow 15F or extended HARD freezes. Mine see 20s and high teens every winter and don't even flinch. But mine also is a near full sun all day and shielded from western and most northern winds (the former is the more popular for us). Now is the time for me to start worrying about fungus...hopefully peroxide isn't out of stock due to what's going on.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Looking perfect

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F