• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Planting days in PR

Cindy Adair

The rainy season is here which just divides most days into the morning planting session and the late afternoon planting session with rain between and sometimes again at night.

I am not complaining!

I have added another Johannesteijsmannia altifrons,

DSCN8978.thumb.jpg.fa7cb98133f09529be06b

3 Itaya amicarums,

DSCN8971.thumb.jpg.12911ddbbb0161925215d

2 Calyptrocalyx laxiflorus, (sorry no photo yet)

2 Calyptronoma rivalis,

DSCN8966.thumb.jpg.cf0aaee77d67e9d1b7f56

an unknown Licuala,

DSCN8964.thumb.jpg.6e914dd1fef90a91ad167

3 Calyptrocalyx yamutumunes,

DSCN8961.thumb.jpg.488d9998fc92e32075241

Dypsis pinnatifrons, Drymophloeous sp. Irian Jaya, Chuniophoenix nana, 

(no photos yet)

Licuala mattaensis 'mapu', 

DSCN8968.thumb.jpg.9837c982c2f222543a42f

Copernicia fallaensis 

DSCN9079.thumb.jpg.5e198b0e0d76cf17f1cfd

Iguanura tenuis (bottom left),

DSCN8973.thumb.jpg.865b217a82f773b0b5120

and a Socratea salizarii. 

DSCN8960.thumb.jpg.198775648dadbff034afc

I also added a clove tree

DSCN8943.thumb.jpg.1da5c23e7cc85267e7ad9

and 2 nutmeg trees. 

DSCN8974.thumb.jpg.94d280b7ceb2d06034b72

• Upvote 14

Cindy Adair

Since the previous photos look pretty stark I'll throw in some more colorful views from today too, most with palms in there somewhere.

DSCN9045.jpg

DSCN9002.jpg

DSCN9032.jpg

DSCN9046.jpg

DSCN9049.jpg

DSCN9053.jpg

DSCN9056.jpg

DSCN9057.jpg

DSCN9058.jpg

DSCN9061.jpg

DSCN9064.jpg

• Upvote 10

Cindy Adair

Love it!

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Some great species you have planted! I would put money on that unknown licuala sp. as orbicularis.

Cheers

Harry 

Cindy - thanks for all the eye candy.

What's this???

DSCN9061.thumb.jpg.9dbdd29ff8222e4c46ac8841bb23f0b7.jpg

• Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Thanks to you all for your kind comments. Where else can I hear messages from in Hawaii, Australia, the Netherlands and California overnight?

Harry, I would be delighted to add another L. orbicularis!

FYI here is a link to some idea of others about the correct name: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/56476-wrong-label-licuala/#comment-845476

9 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

Cindy - thanks for all the eye candy.

What's this???

DSCN9061.thumb.jpg.9dbdd29ff8222e4c46ac8841bb23f0b7.jpg

Dean,

I got this one as Dypsia mirabilis when I decided not to try to move a beloved palm on my old farm (purchased as Dypsis paludosa v. florencei) both from Floribunda.

I have two more D. mirabilis in pots awaiting the perfect spots, but I see one leaf is already segmenting whereas my palm on my old farm retained its entire leaves much larger. Plus the leaves were very wide. I guess age, different light and genetic variation among seedlings could be the answer.

DSCN9097.thumb.JPG.9490c8a698d8a8a0e1297

DSCN9098.thumb.JPG.37706fa9e700e3803d8bc

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Not a palm, but I felt sorry for this long suffering Adansonia digitata (baobab) contorted in its pot and finally planted it! I grew it from seed in my VA greenhouse and later moved it to PR where I thought it had died in a pot there. 

I learned they are quite deciduous.

It got battered by Maria and lack of repotting, but now I kind of like its twisted trunk and hope it will grow well in the full sun more dry spot where I put it just now.

DSCN9110.thumb.jpg.ed7335424b47185411df4

DSCN9114.thumb.jpg.bdc29bdab2e4d1d573848

I chopped down many bananas earlier closer to my house and am anxious to place some sun loving palms and rare fruit trees, but rain seems imminent. Maybe a few minutes to grab photos of ones planted yesterday that I failed to include.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Below is a view from a balcony.

Dozens of bananas small and large will smother a few weeds below the now sunnier area I want to plant next. They were useful to hold the dirt and give me handholds a few months ago when I started terracing but now the tree ferns are enough. Plus some were blocking my ocean view from my hammock! I will try to be cautious about what I plant where although it is hard to remember that tiny plants can quickly grow into big trees here.

DSCN9133.thumb.jpg.d30ac78d911373c059e39

Now back to documenting plants in the more shady area I worked in yesterday. This is Hydriastele selebica. Not sure I left enough room for this one as I look at a rarepalmseeds photo now...

DSCN9139.thumb.jpg.b65417b424a0a87963ef6

I put two Calyptrocalyx polyphyllus near a Calyptronoma rivalis. Note my muddy shoe near a dead tree fern trunk braced to help make somewhat flat paths. It's actually working rather well.

DSCN9142.thumb.JPG.1d8885e384b94279a90d1

Here's my Chuniophoenix nana, 

DSCN9144.thumb.JPG.7d6694d00746f1b50c5d4

followed by one of a trio of small Calyptrocalyx leptostachys. Yes I really do plant them this small sometimes.

DSCN9145.thumb.JPG.84587d4d78a941628481b

Below is Calyptrocalyx pachstachys.

DSCN9147.thumb.JPG.df3da90e9101b35026a30

I like the new red leaf emerging on Iguanura speciosa. With many of these it was pot them into a larger pot or put them into the ground...

DSCN9148.thumb.JPG.def156577fea1857dade3

Here's one of the C. leptostachys in the middle with the Iguanura on the left and the C. pachystachys on the right.

DSCN9150.thumb.JPG.fc86aa232044f9923d36c

Here's one of two new Dypsis pinnatifrons.

DSCN9151.thumb.jpg.486e37529f47001a9efe8

The new little Drymophloeous sp. Irian Jaya is now near the one that was damaged by hurricane Maria.

DSCN9154.thumb.jpg.ebfa8008f068e60773b17

DSCN9155.thumb.jpg.f8b79c58a68bc5bf5beba

Finally here is Reinhardtia latisecta compacta. Anyone growing this one?

DSCN9135.jpg

• Upvote 5

Cindy Adair

Thanks Tracy!

Lots more to plant, but back to widening, stabilizing and flattening steps and paths for awhile first.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

The recovery of your property is nothing short of amazing, Cindy! It must be such a relief to have so much of your landscape back to lush and green! The large variety of palms you are able to plant and grow there is certainly enviable...     I hope all those beautiful babies you’re putting in the ground grow well and quickly for you! Keep up the great job creating your own personal tropical paradise! 

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like him you're garden sri lankan climate ! weeds are the same ! :mellow:

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

On 8/19/2018, 10:12:55, CB Lisa said:

The recovery of your property is nothing short of amazing, Cindy! It must be such a relief to have so much of your landscape back to lush and green! The large variety of palms you are able to plant and grow there is certainly enviable...     I hope all those beautiful babies you’re putting in the ground grow well and quickly for you! Keep up the great job creating your own personal tropical paradise! 

Thanks Lisa! Having lots still to plant is the best of "problems".

7 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

It looks like him you're garden sri lankan climate ! weeds are the same ! :mellow:

I think you are right Philippe!

Lots more clearing and more palms planted, but no new photos yet.

Some of you may remember my attempts at an Areca vestiaria avenue at my old farm which survived multiple cattle tastings.

Those palms were too young to make seed before I moved, but a red Areca vestiaria planted by the previous owner of my old farm provided the start for the more than 30 babies I just repotted. I just have to choose the perfect location while they grow just a little more. Today's work may be the best spot.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

30 red A. vestaria?! :wub:            Looks like you may have quite a bit of rain coming your way from the tropical wave down there? Daughter in BVI says good bit of flooding there. Great for watering in those babies but hopefully not so much you end up with a muddy mess! 

@Cindy Adair so nice to see you planting! More pictures.

Por favor . . . .

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks for sharing photos of all these new additions to your paradise. So happy to see how much your place has come along and recovered after the hurricane damage. 

On 8/18/2018, 8:36:06, Cindy Adair said:

Reinhardtia latisecta compacta

Magnificent Cindy! Glad to see your recovering. Yes, I have a R latisecta compacta. It's about twice the size of yours & real slow here.

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

9 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Thanks for sharing photos of all these new additions to your paradise. So happy to see how much your place has come along and recovered after the hurricane damage. 

How'd you guys make out in the wake of Lane?

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

How'd you guys make out in the wake of Lane?

We got over 50" of rain when it was all said and done but thankfully no wind. So all good here. Houses in Hilo next to rivers weren't so lucky. 

Glad to hear you are pretty much OK Jason even after all that rain!

Thanks to everyone for checking in and for all your kind comments.

Sorry Dave, no photos today. I did manage to improve my terracing and put a number of palms in position for planting. 

My neighbor stopped by and said not only had I improved my paths in the new area but that it looked like a highway. 

Probably something lost in the translation, but it is easier and safer to access now.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

I did take some photos just now as rain seemed imminent. Sorry for the lack of lovely blue skies in the background. 

You'll see pots in "test" locations as I consider the impact on current and future viewpoints and of course how the plant reacts to the sun and wind patterns. I try to read up before committing since I plan on never moving again.

This shot shows the transition from the area I highlighted before around the corner to much more sun. 

DSCN9162.thumb.jpg.330c8e184f9752ea1fd37

Continuing around lots of steps I cut into dirt to keep me (most of the time) from sliding down the hill. DSCN9168.thumb.jpg.f7d5159a837c85aa835d5

DSCN9164.thumb.jpg.87dce5b2a939271ea5d5e

Below is a Rhopaloblaste elegans to the left across from a larger Euterpe edulis with a seedling Iriartea in the middle down hill. That's a Nam Doc Mai Mango already planted.

Since this photo I added two Kerriodoxas to trial near the Euterpe.

DSCN9172.thumb.jpg.426c0347054f745276ca7

Lots of banana trees are turning to dirt.

DSCN9163.thumb.jpg.6ce583b684b57ced09ff6

DSCN9165.thumb.jpg.0376cbdd55dfa433d60e2

Water diverts past this area so I thought a good place for one of my Cyrtostachys rendas long ready to go in the ground.

DSCN9177.thumb.jpg.59e33c3359000b069496e

Next shows a little of where I might plant my Areca vestiarias.

DSCN9178.thumb.jpg.0ab3990cf639d9361df87

A second small Iriatea might go here as a larger one has been growing well nearby. The slope is made for palms to show off their stilt roots.

DSCN9179.thumb.jpg.dc6753b34771361320441

Well, someday there will be "after" photos where the palms are bigger than the rest.

DSCN9166.jpg

Here the "highway" my neighbor mentioned. You can see two of three Bentinckia condapannas and a tiny Copernicia hospita recently added. Not shown are the two Dypis lastellianas replacing more bananas.

DSCN9169.jpg

Beside an unflattering photo of a pretty variegated Caryota mitis is a Heterospathe woodfordiana with a now fading new reddish leaf.

DSCN9171.jpg

Down into the shade again where more sun haters will go in the future.

DSCN9175.jpg

DSCN9176.jpg

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

On 8/18/2018, 8:36:06, Cindy Adair said:

Below is a view from a balcony.

Dozens of bananas small and large will smother a few weeds below the now sunnier area I want to plant next. They were useful to hold the dirt and give me handholds a few months ago when I started terracing but now the tree ferns are enough. Plus some were blocking my ocean view from my hammock! I will try to be cautious about what I plant where although it is hard to remember that tiny plants can quickly grow into big trees here.

DSCN9133.thumb.jpg.d30ac78d911373c059e39

Now back to documenting plants in the more shady area I worked in yesterday. This is Hydriastele selebica. Not sure I left enough room for this one as I look at a rarepalmseeds photo now...

DSCN9139.thumb.jpg.b65417b424a0a87963ef6

I put two Calyptrocalyx pollyphyllus near a Calyptronoma rivalis. Note my muddy shoe near a dead tree fern trunk braced to help make somewhat flat paths. It's actually working rather well.

DSCN9142.thumb.JPG.1d8885e384b94279a90d1

Here's my Chuniophoenix nana, 

DSCN9144.thumb.JPG.7d6694d00746f1b50c5d4

followed by one of a trio of small Calyptrocalyx leptocheilos. Yes I really do plant them this small sometimes.

DSCN9145.thumb.JPG.84587d4d78a941628481b

Below is Calyptrocalyx pachstachys.

DSCN9147.thumb.JPG.df3da90e9101b35026a30

I like the new red leaf emerging on Iguanura speciosa. With many of these it was pot them into a larger pot or put them into the ground...

DSCN9148.thumb.JPG.def156577fea1857dade3

Here's one of the C. leptocheilos in the middle with the Iguanura on the left and the C. pachystachys on the right.

DSCN9150.thumb.JPG.fc86aa232044f9923d36c

Here's one of two new Dypsis pinnatifrons.

DSCN9151.thumb.jpg.486e37529f47001a9efe8

The new little Drymophloeous sp. Irian Jaya is now near the one that was damaged by hurricane Maria.

DSCN9154.thumb.jpg.ebfa8008f068e60773b17

DSCN9155.thumb.jpg.f8b79c58a68bc5bf5beba

Finally here is Reinhardtia latisecta compacta. Anyone growing this one?

DSCN9135.jpg

Awesome!!

• Upvote 1

Good planting morning with 17 plants (mostly small palms) in the ground 6 am -11 am. 

Hoping to get more done this afternoon if the weather cooperates. Finally a little more room in my shade houses, but still much to do. 

I also seriously need to make labels for all these palms and a location map too.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

4 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Good planting morning with 17 plants (mostly small palms) in the ground 6 am -11 am. 

Hoping to get more done this afternoon if the weather cooperates. Finally a little more room in my shade houses, but still much to do. 

I also seriously need to make labels for all these palms and a location map too.

I am horrible about keeping the labels in readable condition after they have been planted out. I have "lost" so many palms this way. I have also "found" many palms years after being planted. Which is really fun too!

• Upvote 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

6 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Make some Velez style ones!

Just now, DoomsDave said:

Make some Velez style ones!

How did he label his palms? I never got to see his place.

I lost some aluminum labels in my pots so started using white wax pencil on the pot. That works well until time to plant when I don't want to switch gears and make labels in the field. I have good intentions of going back the next day to place a new aluminum label but then instead I plant more or clear a new path as you'll see soon.

I noticed some pink rings around some of Floribunda's smallest palms that might be holding a label. Since I've not yet made it there either can anyone clarify?

Once they get bigger my aluminum labels with wire work better.

Thanks!

And yes Scott, it is fun to rediscover palms and PT has helped ID most of my unknowns so far. Thanks again!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

10 minutes ago, Cindy Adair said:

How did he label his palms? I never got to see his place.

I lost some aluminum labels in my pots so started using white wax pencil on the pot. That works well until time to plant when I don't want to switch gears and make labels in the field. I have good intentions of going back the next day to place a new aluminum label but then instead I plant more or clear a new path as you'll see soon.

I noticed some pink rings around some of Floribunda's smallest palms that might be holding a label. Since I've not yet made it there either can anyone clarify?

Once they get bigger my aluminum labels with wire work better.

Thanks!

And yes Scott, it is fun to rediscover palms and PT has helped ID most of my unknowns so far. Thanks again!

Ralph made these 3 X 5" metal plates on stakes with the label from a PT labeler. Very nice! One of these days, I'll get around to labeling my plants . . .

For those considering the jungle life I'll show a common way I spend a couple of hours: clearing a new path!

It really is fun and my afternoon cup of coffee energized me for a 4 pm project even after a busy morning. This area is close to the house so easy to grab the sawzall, long loppers and a small shovel after donning appropriate mud protection. I did encounter a centipede who quickly retreated but no snakes.

Here are a couple of before photos. If you look very closely you'll see a bunch of green bananas in about the middle right of the next photo. They are a landmark showing the end of the trail plans for today and will show up much better when I finish.

Note the opportunistic nearly hollow trunked cecropias that sprung up taking advantage post Maria. They will disappear from the later photos.

IMG_1505.thumb.jpg.96c1944f685fb4efedfeb

In the right foreground above you might also spot an out of focus alocasia leaf that marks the start of today's trailblazing and connects this path to others.

So I stood on the old path at the base of that alocasia and aimed for the base of the closest tree fern on the downside using the shovel to test the ground through the weeds. I chopped and pulled lots of vines as I went. The photo below gives a pretty good idea showing how I use the shovel to make a vertical cut into the hillside and create a walkable path which I gradually flatten and widen.

IMG_1511.thumb.JPG.dc1c5f5dd4a42da3ba93c

I stopped to carefully remove all the Devil's Ivy that tries to smother my tree ferns! I will return another day to attach orchids to the trunk.

Now you can see the bananas more clearly and see how I stack whatever wood I find on the downside of the path later returning with stakes to stabilize it a little better. The stakes rot in several months, but by then usually they aren't needed. I'll cut some of my fallen bamboo down my road later to better frame the path.

IMG_1513.thumb.jpg.eece7cabccd9d13fd269e

IMG_1514.thumb.jpg.1118afc8e75dbee6472c8

IMG_1515.thumb.jpg.d48838e813de6c39d3222

Note how you can now see the alocasia more clearly below. I leave all tree ferns for beauty and hand holds and orchid supports.

IMG_1516.thumb.jpg.78a1d272dbad62697b8c0

My stained hat gives some scale to the final photo.

IMG_1519.thumb.jpg.728b4f9c6956dccd42e21

I will make steps later to connect it quickly to the flat area near my driveway and after the bananas ripen a little more I will remove the rest of the banana trees in that group to make room for my second little macadamia tree.

Then the fun continues when I'll get to select what to plant here. Maybe even saving a spot for my little lemur in partial shade?

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

Great post about how you make your pathways. Looks like hard work, but rewarding to see the difference and get access to more areas of your property. Please remind me of how much land you have. Looks amazing. 

9 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Great post about how you make your pathways. Looks like hard work, but rewarding to see the difference and get access to more areas of your property. Please remind me of how much land you have. Looks amazing. 

Thanks. I think digging those big holes sounds much harder.

I have 15 acres, some of it even flat!

Cindy Adair

3 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Thanks. I think digging those big holes sounds much harder.

I have 15 acres, some of it even flat!

Wow, 15 acres is a lot of room to have to play with!  I admire your ability to  keep up with that, makes me tired thinking about it!