IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wrong Label Licuala?

Cindy Adair

The attached aluminum tag says Licuala ferruginea, but the photos I see online with that name don't look like my palm! Help please.

I bought it as a tiny seedling in 2014 and it got a bit too much sun for awhile after hurricane Maria.

Ready for replanting finally but I'd like to know the correct name to judge eventual size.

Thanks!

DSCN8020.jpg

DSCN8021.jpg

DSCN8022.jpg

DSCN8023.jpg

DSCN8026.jpg

DSCN8027.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

1 hour ago, Cindy Adair said:

The attached aluminum tag says Licuala ferruginea, but the photos I see online with that name don't look like my palm! Help please.

I bought it as a tiny seedling in 2014 and it got a bit too much sun for awhile after hurricane Maria.

Ready for replanting finally but I'd like to know the correct name to judge eventual size.

Thanks!

DSCN8020.jpg

DSCN8021.jpg

DSCN8022.jpg

DSCN8023.jpg

DSCN8026.jpg

DSCN8027.jpg

I knew little about this genus of fan palms before I looked this question up.

I now also find Licaula ferruginea to be a very unlikely true ID for this palm you have.

After searching through dozens of palmpedia pages, I find Licuala orbicularisLicuala pusilla, and Licuala thoana (in order of one most likely first to least last) to be the most likely true ID's, though there are a few Licuala species and varieties that your palm may be but have very few pictures and very little information on them, so this is not easy to determine.

Aloha Cindy, at first I thought it might be L. cabalonii, but after looking at mine, the petioles on yours are so much shorter. 

Whatever it is, it's beautiful.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks so much Palmsbro and Tim!

Tim I think I might have had something labelled L. cabalionii once and with the literal and figurative whirlwinds in my life the last year, label switching is always a possibility.

As to L. orbicularis, this unknown looks the closest to mine but yet different. I also know that I have had the luck of owning two and only two L. orbicularis and think I have kept them correctly labelled. Here are my two little L. orbicularis for comparison:

DSCN8028.thumb.JPG.7f1b903974af799a80406 

DSCN8030.thumb.JPG.f61e84e4f2f18241c59e1

Below is my L. sallehana which looks different to me:

DSCN8031.thumb.JPG.f6b93a9e2ede4dbfd1ef1

And the nearby distinctively shiny and petite L. cordata:

DSCN8035.thumb.jpg.057faf967fa4952285c26

DSCN8033.thumb.JPG.d9cef583d07a633b0a21a

Lastly just to show you the incline of this area, keep in mind I did not tilt my camera! I made little nearly flat (albeit narrow) paths just below the area shown and footholds as notches in the slope. I can see some of the notches in this photo.

DSCN8036.thumb.jpg.a9415429b346fa55644fe

Keep those idea coming as to a name for my unknown. Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

It was bugging me that I could not recall my L. cabalionii on my old farm. Happily a location description and an old PT topic

This helped me to remember that it was too big and beautiful now 7 years after planting  to disturb by moving. Hope Maria was kind!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

16 minutes ago, Cindy Adair said:

It was bugging me that I could not recall my L. cabalionii on my old farm. Happily a location description and an old PT topic

This helped me to remember that it was too big and beautiful now 7 years after planting  to disturb by moving. Hope Maria was kind!

How have the Licualas on your farm fared since 2016?

I hope they have done well...

This is also my 200th post!

Edited by Palmsbro
Adding

All of the other palms appear to be correctly labeled but the first. Would there be a chance you happened to pick up a good old L. grandis by chance and it made it into your garden? All of the entire leaf Licualas are distinctive in my opinion, and L. grandis will split leaves at the edges sometimes like this. 

Did that J. magnifica make it through the Hurricane? 

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

18 hours ago, Palmsbro said:

How have the Licualas on your farm fared since 2016?

I hope they have done well...

This is also my 200th post!

Congrats on your 200th post! Keep them coming...

As to my Licualas, I ended up moving to a new farm in PR a year ago. So some moved with me and others did not. 

Some did not survive the double whammy of the move and a hurricane but happily many are recovering and I have managed to replace some of the losses.

As long as Licualas are in shade they seem pretty easy to grow here and finally the tree ferns and bananas are up again.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

3 hours ago, cfkingfish said:

All of the other palms appear to be correctly labeled but the first. Would there be a chance you happened to pick up a good old L. grandis by chance and it made it into your garden? All of the entire leaf Licualas are distinctive in my opinion, and L. grandis will split leaves at the edges sometimes like this. 

Did that J. magnifica make it through the Hurricane? 

As to the ID, anything is possible with the last year of chaos, but I did not recall having any potted up L. grandis as the lovely blooming ones on my old farm seemed too risky to move. I collected seeds  before I moved but the few seedlings are still tiny.

I am happy to have whatever it is!

The silver joey from you remained on my old farm and I don’t know if Maria was kind to that area as it is far from street view.

Sadly the new owner never actually moved in and seems to have done little to clear anything after the hurricane.

Cindy Adair