IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Moose

Got some much needed rain today, nice frontal band quenched many a thirsty garden in the state, central part on down. Other than a few cold episodes, the entire state has had a pretty decent winter. Come Spring, things should be cranking! :yay:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Yes, finally some much needed rain here in Cape Coral. I received 1.09 inches last night and today. January was very dry, only received .20" for the whole month.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

VERY beneficial rain here late last night and this morning.. Slept through a supposedly impressive light show ( go figure :indifferent: )

Expecting a good burst of growth once a string of warmer days arrive. Large Acacia farnesiana I planted back in November just started popping flowers today.

-Nathan

I got 1.5" of needed rain

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

2" in Tampa's Interbay area.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

1.61" of rain today according to the nearest W/U weather station (Lakeside South). wouldn't be surprised it 2" fell here at the house.. based on how flooded our end of the street was around 5pm. Nice afternoon spent cleaning seeds to the sound of pouring rain and a bit of thunder.

-Nathan

Here in New Port Richey, it has been a wet winter. In fact, too much rainfall. February has been very wet! Over an inch today. Last week was well over 2" and there was an episode the week before equally as wet. We have definitely been in the bullseye with the heavier rains. However, watch this weekend. It will be COLD! :mrlooney:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Here in New Port Richey, it has been a wet winter. In fact, too much rainfall. February has been very wet! Over an inch today. Last week was well over 2" and there was an episode the week before equally as wet. We have definitely been in the bullseye with the heavier rains. However, watch this weekend. It will be COLD! :mrlooney:

Shocked to hear you say too much rainfall, after all the summer storms seemed to pass by your garden. Your soil should be able to take up that precipitation with no problem. A well hydrated palm seems to fend off the cold better. Perfect timing before the next polar vortex comes rolling in.

We got a nice welcomed soaking last night. :greenthumb:

About 1.0" in the south Tampa rain gage

• 1 month later...

Yeah - got some decent rain today. Been dragging the hose of late trying to spurn on some Spring growth :greenthumb:

Falls mostly in the plains,,,,

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

No measurable rain here for nearly 3 weeks now.

We did a little bit of rain today, .36", not a lot but can't complain!

After one heck of a downpour this morning at work in Sarasota, not a drop fell at the house here in Bradenton. figures. :indifferent:

-Nathan

Vero Beach airport got somewhat more than an inch, enough to make the yard plants happy.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Not a drop here, even after an 80% chance of rain evening. Falling to the north and NW, missing the Moose Land. All the palms are well established and have adapted to the rain cycle. Due to an upcoming garden tour hosted here, I'm dragging the hose. Crotons coming out of the winter doldrums need the water and humidity to flush beautiful new leaves. A crowd of about 70 croton fans from around the state are heading this way, I'm putting myself under great pressure trying to get them to look the best I can.

Well over an inch fell on Monday. We have continued getting a good amount of rain which has been steady through winter. Now that the dry spring is here, any rain is good rain. There is a high chance of more Friday, then a cooldown for the weekend. We are well above normal for the year, Let us hope it does not all stop in April and May! :yay:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

I'm hoping Friday makes up for Monday's non event here. I'm not optimistic when weather forecasters call tomorrow's rain potential a "band of showers". It sounds like hit or miss again which doesn't usually bode well here in the south Tampa desert.

Ray - Its the same forecast here, I'll believe it when I see it. At least the overcast skies and increased humidity are keeping the crotons hydrated for now. When it was dry and sunny, plants watered at sunrise were starting to wilt by 1:00 pm. I need a good soaking to saturate the mulch.

I received .25" of rain this morning so far. Hope the rest of Florida receives some rain.

Got some "rain" this morning. My best guess is accumulation approaches .000000000000001" :rant:.

We're just catching the edges of the fronts, which are just North of us. North Palm through the middle of Florida looks like it got hammered this morning. Us nothing!

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Here in Cape Coral we received 1.07" this afternoon and still coming down, plus .25 this morning, the plants are happy!

It looked like Ft Myers to Naples got hammered today. Several rounds of rains from yesterday until the last this evening equal another inch. Well watered plants! They will need it because, the forecast is nothing for over a week. After an unusually chilly weekend, by next week it heats up yet again. :yay:

Rain had finally stopped, total for my garden in Cape Coral was 1.37".

Judging by the amount of runoff at the end of our street, estimate about an inch fell today, perhaps a little more. Will be nice to give the hose a little break. Todays soaker should really get all my seedlings moving.

-Nathan

I've been dragging the hose for weeks, other than one reprieve, which gave me a two day break. Calling on the rain gods. I know its the dry season and this is typical, but some plant nectar from above once and awhile is greatly appreciated. :innocent:

Given the California situation, my complaining will cease. The recent lack of rain here could obviously be much, much worse.

Given the California situation, my complaining will cease. The recent lack of rain here could obviously be much, much worse.

Most parts of California have always been dry. Then add millions and millions of humans consuming all that water. Sustainability will be difficult at best.

Living is swampy, mosquito infested Florida - the rain is part of the deal, and I'm not getting any - so I am complaining. Then in monsoonal mid June I'll be complaining about excessive rain ... :badday:

• Upvote 1

We had 2 Inches of unexpected and eventual mosquito producing rain here last night. The seabreeze collision is a wonderful thing.

We had 2 Inches of unexpected and eventual mosquito producing rain here last night. The seabreeze collision is a wonderful thing.

Late evening got some relief, but not no 2". Rain chance was 20%, so I am very thankful and will stop complaining.

At least for a few days ... :happy:

• Upvote 1

Nothing here for almost 2 weeks, and being coastal, I suspect nothing soon. The seabreeze storms at this time of year die close to the coast. Nice and warm March and April. Well above average but still very nice. Having 78F water off the coast keeps us a little cooler during the afternoon, and those breezes are refreshing! :bemused: still....some rain would be nice!

Very brief shower yesterday evening. Another @ 8:00 am this morning. Keeping the plants from drying out.

We picked up around 0.15-0.20" a couple days ago here. But the rain chances this weekend look very promising.

Had a surprise rain shower this evening, 0.19". Hopefully more this weekend.

Aside from a couple sprinkles we had earlier in the week, dry and hot here.

Interesting how hot is has been already. March was +4 above normal with less than an inch of rainfall. Just under 4" is the norm. So far, April is running between 1-2+ above normal with a rainfall deficit of just over 2" I laugh when the local weather guys say " Hot weather now doesn't portend a hot summer ahead" Pretty sure we're in for a roaster. At least the mosquitoes aren't so bad, yet.

-Nathan