IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm ID needed: Washingtonia or Livistona?

Kostas

Hello :)

Is this a Washingtonia robusta or a Livistona? I think it fits the W. robusta description but need confirmation. It's quite droopy when not pruned like it recently has unfortunately. The inflorescences are visible. Seed and fruit quite Washingtonia like is size,shape and color. I think it fits the W. robusta description but need confirmation,I see too much variety of Washingtonia robusta like palms,others droopy others stiff,small crowns,open crowns,very long inflorescences,short inflorescences,etc that I am not sure if they all are W. robusta or some are Livistona,and if they are,which one...

DC03EF2B-7D41-4F54-8DB6-564CC81A5EBC-107

1A2184FD-E857-4FBA-98CB-2D43CA90A5FB-107

FF20289D-BAF6-41DB-A7D3-DD83E0499BE0-107

Thank you very much in advance! :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Kostas, it looks like Livistona chinesis to me. Remove all those roughly-trimmed leaf bases, and the trunk is going to be quit skinny. The lower-left leaf in shot, and the way the leaf blades are drooping and "flowing in every direction" confirms that - IMO. Washingtonia leaves are a lot stiffer.

With a Washingtonia, you're going to see at least one or two emerging "stiff" leaves which have yet to succumb to the elements. I can't see that in these photos.

Looking closely at the barbs, I think it has to be a Washingtonia in that case. Where are those planted, Kostas?

washingtonia +1

USDA Hardiness Zones 9b to 10a

AHS Heat Zones 8

altitude 100 meters (320 Feet)

4 km (2,4 Miles) from the Mediterranean

16716.gif

lowest ever recorded temperature -4 C (24 F)

maximum ever recored temperature 45 C (113 F)

mean minimum temperature January 7 C (44 F)

mean maximum temperature January 14 C (57 F)

mean minimum temperature July 23 C (74 F)

mean maximum temperature July 33 C (92 F)

average annual rainfall 330mm (13 Inch)

average annual sunshine 2800 hours

I could be wrong but the leaves don't look stiff enough to me, for it to be a Washingtonia robusta.

My thoughts too. A newly emerging Washingtonia leaf should look as sharp as a Pritchardia pacifica - if that's not too much of an exaggeration. I'm just wondering if those are planted in a very windy location.

Split leaf bases. Washy for sure

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I agree on Washy with the split leaf bases. Also a L.chinesis that size would not have all the leaf bases still attached to the trunk.

Livistona chinensis hasn´t split petiole bases like this palm shows. This is certainly a Washingtonia

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Thank you very much for all your replies and help! I appreciate them a lot! :)

This palm and other conspecifics of it are really droopy and as soon as the leaf starts unfolding,the leaflets droop and flow with the breeze. The leafs are quite lax and nice. But the leaf bases are split and the barbs do look Washingtonia like as well as the seeds. The petioles seem a little skinny for a Washingtonia but in general I thought it matches this species. It's great to have a confirmation from you,didn't know L. chinensis doesn't have split petiole bases and didn't think of it at all...So I guess it's a droopy Washingtonia!

Do you think that this specimen is a pure robusta or does it have any filifera traits? Is droopiness a filifera trait or just normal variation of W. robusta? Just out of interest! :)

John,this palm is at a children's hospital in Athens called "Agia Sofia"(Saint Wisdom). There are more of them there and are all droopy,very attractive palms most of the time. Only when they decide to trim them,very infrequently thankfully,do they look like in the photo I posted. Otherwise they carry nice full crowns of droopy leafs!

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Steve said it all! Just to mention another obvious trait, which is the very long inflorescences with very long papery bracts, very distinctive for Washingtonia. It can prove useful, when trunk is cleared from boots and remaining leaves due to overtrimming are not old enough to have exposed boots, like the Washi (?) on the corner of Mesogion with Michalakopoulou.

Thank you very much for all your replies and help! I appreciate them a lot! :)

This palm and other conspecifics of it are really droopy and as soon as the leaf starts unfolding,the leaflets droop and flow with the breeze. The leafs are quite lax and nice. But the leaf bases are split and the barbs do look Washingtonia like as well as the seeds. The petioles seem a little skinny for a Washingtonia but in general I thought it matches this species. It's great to have a confirmation from you,didn't know L. chinensis doesn't have split petiole bases and didn't think of it at all...So I guess it's a droopy Washingtonia!

Do you think that this specimen is a pure robusta or does it have any filifera traits? Is droopiness a filifera trait or just normal variation of W. robusta? Just out of interest! :)

John,this palm is at a children's hospital in Athens called "Agia Sofia"(Saint Wisdom). There are more of them there and are all droopy,very attractive palms most of the time. Only when they decide to trim them,very infrequently thankfully,do they look like in the photo I posted. Otherwise they carry nice full crowns of droopy leafs!

Thanks for posting, Kostas. Quite a contrast to the "stiff leaf" Washingtonia in our garden. I didn't know about the split petiole base, either!