IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Look Out Florida, It Is Coming Again

_Keith

Best find those long john's you got for Christmas, and never needed. So you can go slip them over your favorite out of zone palm.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Looking at the NWS for Seminole... sure it looks cold, but highs in the upper 50's and lows around 40 is not as bad as what we had during the last cold spell. Is there another, more ominous forecast I should be paying attention to? Do I even want to know? :blink:

Eric

St. Petersburg, FL

www.myspace.com/koolthing78

Calling for mid 20s here in So. Louisiana. Usually North Florida gets a little colder than us, and central is highly variable, as you know. I was surprised to see that forecast. Substantially colder than the same forecast from yesterday.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

THE HOT ARCTIC_COLD CONTINENS PATTERN WILL NOT SPARE EVEN FLORIDAS BEGNIN CLIMATE...

Alexander

Hot arctic cold,,, Wow, you must be a scientist!! Without your insightfull warnings,,, i just don't know what us Floridians would do!!

• Upvote 1

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Better news. The models have slipped up a bit, now calling for 28 first night, 27 second night. Still cold, but better than before.

When you look at the models, the air up north isn't the brutal cold they had last week. The CPC is (so far) not buying the lower numbers in the GFS runs.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I recovered my hardest to cover stuff. That seems to keep the cold away. Like washing your car to make it rain.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

When you look at the models, the air up north isn't the brutal cold they had last week. The CPC is (so far) not buying the lower numbers in the GFS runs.

How's the BLT looking?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

How's the BLT looking?

BLT went vegan, it is now just LT.

Something for your winterholliday in Florida! Plenty water down there...

http://www.knmi.nl/cms/mmbase/images/25372

Yes, but as you know, only Jesus can walk on our water, it does'nt freeze here!! You should know seeing you spent your winter vacation here last year at splash mountain. Here is a pic of you and your buddies(Takil is in front)!

post-518-063000400 1293187561_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Something for your winterholliday in Florida! Plenty water down there...

http://www.knmi.nl/c...se/images/25372

Yes, but as you know, only Jesus can walk on our water, it does'nt freeze here!! You should know seeing you spent your winter vacation here last year at splash mountain. Here is a pic of you and your buddies(Takil is in front)!

:interesting::bemused::innocent:

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Forecast went warmer again, but is now longer showing 3 consecutive days with lows of 30, 28, and 29. Not bone chilling, but more than too cold for me.

Well Jesus knew where the poles where to put his food on, just under the water. Or he did the same trick as that lizard from Central America wich runs over the water surface.

Warm winterfree xmass to all I would say!

Alexander

Well Jesus knew where the poles where to put his food on, just under the water. Or he did the same trick as that lizard from Central America wich runs over the water surface.

Alexander

It is Jesus' birthday today, w/ your blastfamous comments i see you're gonna end up in a VERY warm place!

Keith,

It is amazing that Orlando is forecasted 28f for tuesday morning and that is the same temps for much further north!

Very odd winter, just like the last. What is the forecast for Miami on Tuesday morning?

Have you had any damage to any of your palms so far this winter?

I wish everybody a very Merry Christmas!!

• Upvote 1

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Well, it looks like Florida finally gets a respite. After Tuesday, no lows under 60F for at least the next 10 days on the SE coast, at least according to Accuweather. Maybe the AO has shifted, lets hope so.

Alexander

It is Jesus' birthday today, w/ your blastfamous comments i see you're gonna end up in a VERY warm place!

Keith,

It is amazing that Orlando is forecasted 28f for tuesday morning and that is the same temps for much further north!

Very odd winter, just like the last. What is the forecast for Miami on Tuesday morning?

Silverhill, AL Weather Conditions Heres a shot of my weather not to terrible.

Keith,

Silverhill, AL Weather Conditions Heres a shot of my weather not to terrible.

Once I started following gardening weather, I was quite surprised to find out how cold north and central Florida get, as compared to here.

Well, models have changed again, but this time, not for the good. Now showing low of 30 in the morning, 26 and then 30 for the next 2 days. Ouch.

We're predicted for 29 on Tuesday morning (colder than Orlando, predicted at 32). The orchids and potted palms are returning to the dining room. I hope this is the last mess of winter for palms in the yard.

I standardized on using Rubbermaid "Roughneck" plastic containers for all sorts of carrying purposes--bromeliad pups for sale at the botanical garden, beach stuff, orchids, whatever. They've been disappearing from the retail world, mostly displaced by Sterilite. I was pleased to find some Roughnecks, shallow ones, at Kmart this week.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Mod Edit: I deleted Alexander's latest comments. They were both off topic, and contained religious content.

Please continue discussing the weather, but leave Jesus and Christmas out of it.

Palm Mod

It look s similar to the last front just as cold if not colder for the east coast of Florida. But still worth watching out for on the west coast:blink:

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

It is currently 47F out, with winds gusting to 30mph as they have for several hours. There have been quick showers, too, among the spotty sunshine. NASTY. I cannot even get out to prepare due to wind and rains, and how does one cover with 30mph gusts? I may have to hope the winds keep me up above freezing tonight as they often do living so near the water, but a quick diedown of the wind would spell disaster! My poor covered hoop house has been taking a beating the past few weeks. Keeping plastic on, and not allowing holes or air, has been demoralizing. Now they are predicting COLD for Wed AM. Originally upper 30's now lower 30's. I really hope this all ends soon. I am on winter break until Jan 7th, and was hoping to get lots of yard work done. NOPE. I'll just watch everything melt in the cold instead. I guess its time for azaleas and camellias! This is really ridiculous two years in a row. :blink:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

It looks like a two day event here in Houston. I had 29.7F last night, my coldest of the year so far, and tonight's low is supposed to be 30F. Yesterday was cloudy and breezy and only got up to about 48F. Today is sunny with a high in the low 50s. Monday is sunny and 60F/46F.

Mommy :crying::badday::sick:

These events are getting old already. What happened to the mild winter predictions? :bummed:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Farmers Almanac predicted this as a below average winter for the southeast, I think. Got one for Christmas. NWS and NOAA can go pound salt.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

:drool: @ 10 am EST Jacksonville Fl was reporting 36 with light SNOW!!!

Talked to a friend in Gainesville today and he said that they were having some light snow there as well! Crazy weather. It's 41* here at 5:50 pm... it's going to be a cold one... Tuesday may be even worse!

Zone 9 Central Florida

While I don't know how this 3-day cold event will eventually play out, I do know that this latest Arctic blast is far more windy than anything we've had thus far this month. If the winds don't die down quite a bit and lows fall near or below freezing, I expect to see signifigant cold, dry wind dissication of foliage. It's been since January of 2003 since I last saw wind dessication. Since then every cold event in my environs has been radiational in nature.

Mad about palms

Mommy :crying::badday::sick:

These events are getting old already. What happened to the mild winter predictions? :bummed:

The pattern appears to be changing...look for close to 80f this time next week.

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

I think tonight isn't gonna meet predictions, at least not for any significant duration. Here's to hoping!

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Predicted 30 last night stayed just above freezing due to lingering cloud cover, but tonight's predictions are down to 25, and 30 still predicted for tomorrow night.

A friend in Pensacola said it snowed there this morning.

I woke up this morning to sleet in Jacksonville. We also just hit two records. The coldest December in record, and the coldest year on record. I think we just lost out 9a status.

Jacksonville, FL

Zone 9a

First Officer

Air Wisconsin Airlines (USairways Express)

Canadair Regional Jet

Base: ORF

Just hit 32 degrees at 9:56pm. Tonight's gonna be the real deal.