• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

November Weather Thread

_Keith

Not much to report here in Louisiana, other than still no rains and conditions nearing treacherous. I have seen a couple of large mature trees dying. It is that dry.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

In the SF Bay area, we have had our first real rain since February, 1 to 2 inches or more all of which seemed to soak in well on Saturday. More is expected onMonday and we do need it.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Lows in the 60'sF here and highs in the lower 80'sF. A little bit of rain also but overall, one of the best times of year.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Been nearly perfect here since Saturday. Lows in the upper 40's F. Just chilly enough to be invigorating. Highs have been in the low 70's F. We really need rain too. There hasn't been much mention of it in the news lately, but our drought continues to worsen.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

I think it's rained every day so far for Nov. I know it's only day 4, but it sounds impressive. I think we may already have had our average rainfall for Nov. Back to a humid 31C on Tuesday. It's been a bit coolish lately during the day although the nights haven't been too bad.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I think it's rained every day so far for Nov. I know it's only day 4, but it sounds impressive. I think we may already have had our average rainfall for Nov. Back to a humid 31C on Tuesday. It's been a bit coolish lately during the day although the nights haven't been too bad.

Best regards

Tyrone

Sure wish you could send some of that my way. Still dry as a bone here. Not a drop, nada, nothing.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

It's raining again now. The weather is going to be a tad crapolla for a couple more days. Forecasting a chance of hail tomorrow morning. It's Nov for crying out loud. Oh well at least it will wash all the new mulch I put down before the 31C on Monday.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Today we have 33 C - 91 F in Tijuana, Baja California México very low humiditey. ocean by tijuana today.

post-285-1226121812_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cristóbal

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Desert hills by ocean by Tijuana wait for rain. Today theres no clouds in sky very common for Baja California.

post-285-1226122111_thumb.jpg

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

Natural vegetations by ocean by Tijuana of agave, cactuses, the baja desert flora and some meditaranean flora. This is most very south part of range for meditaranean flora and most north part of range for many baja desert plants. We wait for rains of winter, can start in december or january and last rains in march in most years we have 160 - 200 mm rain 6 - 8 inchs precipitations but if we have el niño can be much more to 350 mm - 14 inchs. we like very much the winter here for if we have much rain we have green grass for few months, good change from very dry, much dust, and hot sun.

post-285-1226123145_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cristóbal

Since that wicked cold front came thru before Halloween, it has been rather cool here. I teach in Hudson, about 15 mi NE of here in a rural area, and some of my tacher chorts reported frost those mornings. I had 41.9F as my lowest, which still broke records. The Gulf chilled because of the cold front, so living near the Gulf, our afternoons have remained cool. Most days in the 70's, nights in the 50's (55-58F) and barely a drop of rain in a month. Since Sept 1st I have recorded 4.01" with 2.98" falling in one six hour period in early October. However, dew has been heavy with some fog, which makes up for the lack of rain (some). I am just hoping that as Paloma dies, her remnants affect us with rain. The summer was exceedingly wet, yet come Sept it has been like a desert. Long range winter forecasts are calliung for above normal - about 20% - with dry weather. That only means a freeze may occur in between milder days...I am hoping we get into a warmer pattern like in the past! I hate cold nights! Greg in New Port Richey 55.9F at 7am

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

After some cold weather, we got back to 24C today and 27C tomorrow, which is more like Nov.

Best regards

Tyrone

I am just a couple of days from 2 months with zero measurable rainfall. I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone.

It seems our weather was effected today by Hurricane Paoloma(ie 140MPH) down in the Caymans.The effect here is no breeze,heavy humid and hot air.Sweating good at the golf course in the morning and blue skies.

What you look for is what is looking

Really starting to warm up now , sweating all day , at least it cools down to 23 C at night , currently 30 and has been as high as 34 in the last few daze .

Badly needed rains last night , been planting out heaps .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Lucky you!!!! It has been WARM for the past month of two here. Plants, including weeds have gone MAD!! Mulching is required bad, but I can't do it in the HEAT. The afternoon storm hasn't started yet... Every now and then we get some, but not enough without additional watering. Hence, bore is going.... We missed out on a very good storm last night... it could've been easy 60mm or so. We only get lightning and wind, without the rain :rage:

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, that sounds like our January February. Very hot with thunderstorms that don't produce any rain. We're not quite far enough north to get real summer rains.

Best regards

Tyrone

It was cool this morning (mid 50'sF) but typical for mid November. Yesterday the temps reached only 76F which felt incredibly refreshing.

Ive had a couple of January-like mornings (51-52F) over here in Tarpon Springs the past few days. The highs have also only reached 75F and 74F.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Woah, just looked at the forecast. They are predicting 36 for Saturday night. Hmmm, assuming that comes with some frost, that is gonna change things.

Well, not thrilled about the cold, but I have to say I am not missing the mowing and other yard work that comes with summer.

Joe Bastardi of Accuweather fame has predicted a colder than normal U.S. winter. The current trend of below normal temps for the southeast seems to fall right in line. The local forecast for the next 10 days turns dramatically colder by days 10-15. Get your frost blankets and heaters ready. It's going to be a long three months.

Joe Bastardi of Accuweather fame has predicted a colder than normal U.S. winter. The current trend of below normal temps for the southeast seems to fall right in line. The local forecast for the next 10 days turns dramatically colder by days 10-15. Get your frost blankets and heaters ready. It's going to be a long three months.

Ray is going down his rabbit hole for the winter! :lol: medication STAT! :winkie:

When weathermen can tell me for SURE if it actually, is going to rain tomorrow, then I will sit up, listen and take notice, about predictions 3 months out! :rolleyes:

I'm thinking postive,I just had to plant a 20 foot tall Foxlady in the ground, it is going to be a mild winter here in Titusville, I HOPE! Then that thing is going to jump come March!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

With an off shore flow, the forcast for inland N. Calif. is upper 70's to low 80's for the next week. This is unusually warm for this time of the year. If only it would hang around in Dec and Jan. I got about 3" of rain about a week ago, but it's already getting dry again. I guess I'll have to drag the hoses out again.

Dick

Richard Douglas

November starts very mild over here, the day before yesterday i recorded almost 16C during the day... that is a way above normal average that's 11C for the day's. Also the night's are too mild, the last few nights has been 9-11C and the normal average is 3C for the nights... So if this will continue will November 2008 ended as a month with a few degrees © too mild... it's almost not unsual anymore... the last few years the colder months of the year has been always a lot milder then average.

Robbin

Southwest

It rained. Really, it actually rained. Not hard, but it drizzled all day with slight occaisional bouts of moderate stuff. The perfect rain, because it all soaked in and not a drop ran off. I can't remember the last time in this normally soggy, 60+ inches of rain a year area that I was so happy to get some real rain. Yahoooooooo!

Even, better the forecasters are trending up with the temp predictions for the weekend. Origionally predicted at predicted to be in the low 30s, now this weekend's lows are predicted anywhere from the 37 to the low 40s.

I am pulling for low 40s and no frost. And if a little more rain comes, no one will be complaining. No one growing plants that is, as the rest of the population is loving this dry and cool fall weather and the accompanying outdoor activities.

It rained. Really, it actually rained. Not hard, but it drizzled all day with slight occaisional bouts of moderate stuff. The perfect rain, because it all soaked in and not a drop ran off. I can't remember the last time in this normally soggy, 60+ inches of rain a year area that I was so happy to get some real rain. Yahoooooooo!

Even, better the forecasters are trending up with the temp predictions for the weekend. Origionally predicted at predicted to be in the low 30s, now this weekend's lows are predicted anywhere from the 37 to the low 40s.

I am pulling for low 40s and no frost. And if a little more rain comes, no one will be complaining. No one growing plants that is, as the rest of the population is loving this dry and cool fall weather and the accompanying outdoor activities.

For here, it all depends on which forecast you believe. NOAA/NWS has us in the mid 30's. Weather.com is predicting our first freeze. The local stations are also mid 30's..

:hmm:

Phil in Marietta, GA z8a (ATL burbs)

Winter: 55/35=45

Spring: 73/51=62

Summer: 88/69=79

Autumn: 73/54=63

Averaging z8b over the last decade

Mid teens at night, and mid twenties during the day. Nice stable non schizophrenic weather now. Nice warm sunshine. :) Coconut is growing around 8mm of spear a night.

regards

Tyrone

It is gonna be a cold week, not enough to worry about really, but we will probably get a nice frost with forecast lows of 35,37,36 coming over the weekend.

Actually, this cool fall is good as the plants tend to naturally harden off as opposed to some winters where it stays summer till the last week of December and then whammo with a hard freeze. Plants get caught off guard and suffer more damage in those years, than with a winter like this when we just taper down into it.

Plenty of rain here (sorry Keith!) We have had about 100mm (4") over the last week. Ground is plenty soggy again...yay!

Temps are pleasant and humid...last night down to 21C (70f) and days up to about 28C (low 80s) Just came in from mowing checked the weather as it feels sweaty...dewpoint is 21C at 1:30pm...time to have another drink!

The palms are certainly loving it, not too hot, not too cold and plenty of moisture. Here's looking forward to a long, hot, wet summer.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

The storm is very patchy and isolated these days. We got quite a good storm yesterday, 30mm... finally a decent fall. We have been getting 5mm at one time.... Everything is so happy and green!!! I bet the weeds are happy too...

BTW Daryl... 28deg is not sweaty!!!! Try 33 or more....

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Up in Eugene, OR, temps have actually remained above average. Typicall we would see 50h/37l now. Today it reached in the lower 60's and tonight is the coldest we have had in a while. I think it may reach 40F tonight.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

BTW Daryl... 28deg is not sweaty!!!! Try 33 or more....

I know, I know, it wasn't 'hot', but believe me after two hours on the chainsaw I was sweatin'

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Had a little more rain here on the Northern Gulf Coast. The cracks in the clay soil have still not closed all of the way, but it is way better.

Of course there is a price to pay. Take a gander at this forecast. Winter is here.

No freezes, but clear blue skies mean hard frost and radiational freezes seem inevitable. By By bananas, canna, gingers, etc. See you next spring. :-)

High /

Low (°F) Precip. %

Tonight

Nov 14 Isolated T-Storms / Wind 50° 30 %

Sat

Nov 15 Mostly Sunny / Wind 62°/36° 10 %

Sun

Nov 16 Sunny 60°/35° 0 %

Mon

Nov 17 Sunny 69°/42° 10 %

Tue

Nov 18 Sunny 67°/34° 20 %

Wed

Nov 19 Sunny 66°/34° 10 %

Thu

Nov 20 Partly Cloudy 66°/43° 20 %

Fri

Nov 21 Mostly Sunny 67°/46° 20 %

Sat

Nov 22 Partly Cloudy 66°/43° 0 %

Sun

Nov 23 Mostly Sunny 69°/45° 10 %

Keith,It is always amazing to see cooler temperatures reported elsewhere at this time of year.Our high tomorrow is upper 80's.The Weather boys say next week gets very comfortable.High's in the mid-70's,lows in the mid-50's.That's what we call our California weather. I will believe it when I see it!

Keith:

You got our rain.

It was suppposed to rain here, for 3 days, and it moved east instead.

We got none. :(

We're having a record drought.

13 inches this year.

Our temps have been in the mid 80's all month.

I'm also seeing mature trees die.

My palms have been holding up very well with this drought.

I'm glad that I'm growing palms. :D

Linda

San Antonio, TX

29.50N 98 W Elev: 950 ft

Zone 8b/9a (Half my zip code 8, other half 9) Heat Zone 10

Currently, all my palms are hardy to 8b.

լինդա կարամանիան մալդոնադո

(My name: Armenian)

It happened!We got one through.Reporting 59F. this morning with a good breeze Highs are only expected in the low 70's.It is predicted that this fantasy land weather will continue all week.It's great if it happens but I they always say that and it never happens.I guess the front did not make it to the Key's,which reports 77F.early this morning.

Its on its way through Key West now Bubba....temp 69F and dropping.

Its 56F here in Tarpon Springs at 845AM, with the real low reached at 654AM (54.1F). I had some strong winds here overnight (~25 mph) and this was enough to snap a healthy frond off of one of my taller Adonidias (~15 ft) that is in the open.

For the next week, we are supposed to have highs in the upper 60s' to lower 70's with lows solidly in the 40's most nights. Winter is certainly trying to establish itself!

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Well, the east has had the heat and humidity and the west has been sort of warm. Teens at night mid twenties during the day, but with screaming unrelenting easterly winds with humidity down to 20%, due to a high to the south which doesn't form the usual round shape and move to the south of us and bring warm NE winds which turn into heat troughs and produce thunderstorms and humidity. No. This high has flattened right out and brought winds straight from Sydney and dried to a crisp. No humidity at all in the air. Perfect dusty conditions to aggravate your hayfever. The good news is rain is coming mid week, with night temps staying put, but day temps dropping, which is good for my Chambeyronia lepidota seeds. Until then I water and water and water.

Tyrone