Sign in to follow this  
Reyes Vargas

Palm Id help

Reyes Vargas

Hello I need help with the identification of this palm.  Another member told me that this looked more like a filibusta than a filifera.  How would you go about telling them apart?  Any help would be appreciated.

20201206_110218~2.jpg

Ben in Norcal

The girth of the trunk suggests it has at least some filifera in it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fusca
5 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Hello I need help with the identification of this palm.  Another member told me that this looked more like a filibusta than a filifera.  How would you go about telling them apart?

Check the leaf bases where they attach to the trunk.  If you see any red/reddish brown coloring it's filibusta.  To me the leaves of pure filifera look more greyish and you'd see more of the cottony fibers.  They hybridize so easily that the majority of palms sold are actually hybrid filibusta.  But Ben is right, the thick trunk shows that it has a lot of filifera in it.  Check the following link for more details:

http://palmvrienden.net/gblapalmeraie/2017/07/05/how-to-recognize-the-difference-between-washingtonia-filifera-and-robusta/

• Like 3

Reyes Vargas

I'm going to have to take a closer look at the fronds tomorrow to see what I have.  It's more likely than not that I have a hybrid.

Jeff985

What’s the pinnate palm in the background on the right?  Zooming in makes it too blurry to tell. 

climate change virginia

filifera 

Reyes Vargas

@Jeff985 that palm is some sort of Phoenix hybrid.  I bought those on eBay years ago as rupicola but they are clumping so they can't be rupicola.  My best guess is rupicola x reclinata but that's only a guess.

20201115_110155.jpg

20201031_110050.jpg

• Like 1

Reyes Vargas

@climate change virginia I'm thinking the same thing but I have to look at the fronds a little closer.  I haven't really paid attention to them.  But like fusca said they do hybridize fairly easy.

Jeff985

With the promiscuity of the Phoenix genus, who knows. It’s a good looking palm though. 

Reyes Vargas

I took a few more pictures.  I think I see a little red at the leaf base.  It's a little hard to see since it's a little high.  I'm just going with it being filibusta.  Thanks for all the input.

20201207_085929.jpg

20201207_085943.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      As an avid Washie fan who has been following their growth over here in the UK for several years, I thought I better compel a photo journal showing the biggest specimens over here and their growth rates. It appears that Filifera does perform better than Robusta here, in regards to cold hardiness. There are many more mature Filifera's around than Robusta's for instance, although Washingtonia in general does good in London and the south coast of England. As you move inland however, you will only see Filifera or hybrids.
      I'll start with what I believe is a pure Robusta at Peter Cavendish's home in Earl's Court, London. The first photo was taken in 2014...

And again in 2020...

Next we move onto another very impressive specimen. A Filibusta hybrid in Wimbledon, London. This was grown from seed in I think 1997 and it looked like this 10 years ago...

And this is what it looks like now...

Next up is what is probably one of the biggest Washie's in the UK, certainly on the mainland at least. It is located at Minster-On-Sea, which is about 20 miles east of London. This one is almost certainly a Filibusta hybrid too. I think the trunk is a little bit too fat to be a Robusta...?
      Here it is in 2009...

And here it is now...

Many of you have also probably seen Dave Brown's Filibusta hybrid in Kent, which looked like this back in 2007. He did a few videos on it surviving snow and cold winters...

Well this is what Dave's washie looks like nowadays... 

Robusta's or Filibusta hybrids in Richmond, London near to Kew Gardens. First picture from 2012...

And then 7 years later in 2019...

Another Filibusta hybrid in Little Venice, London... shown back in 2013...

And then 7 years later, now...

I think the one in Chelsea Physic Garden, London is also a Filibusta hybrid. Here it is roughly a decade ago...

And again in 2019...

Probable Filibusta hybrid in a front garden in Southsea, Portsmouth. Here it is back in 2011 looking tiny...

And more recently in 2020...

Now onto the Filifera's, starting with Barry's one in Edmonton, North London, which is possibly the biggest Filifera in the UK now at 30 foot tall. Here is his Filifera about 15 years ago...

And this is how Barry's Filifera looks today!

The other contender for the UK's biggest Filifera is the monster at Canvey Island, just east of London. It looked like this back in 2009...

But now it looks like this...

Here's what looks like another big Filifera growing in Chingford, Essex. First shown in 2011...

And then fast forward 9 years to now...

There's another decent sized Filifera in Dulwich, London as well, which looked like this in 2008...

And looks like this now...

There appears to be a Filifera growing in a front garden in Thorpe Bay, Essex. You can just about see it's fronds back in 2009...

But it looked like this a decade later in 2019...

Another big Filifera on the Isle of Dogs in East London...

A Filibusta hybrid, or possibly a Filifera, in a Wimbledon back garden...

Another Filifera at Battersea Park, London...

Filibusta hybrids at Sandsfoot Gardens, Weymouth

Growth on a London street Washie from 2014...

And then fast forward to 2020...

There were a number of 5-6 foot washies planted at Ventnor Botanic gardens, which looked like this after the bad winter of 2010...

And this is them in recent years, a decade or so later...

The Abbey Gardens at Tresco has by far the tallest Washie in the UK with a 45 foot tall Robusta... however I don't have any 'before' pictures unfortunately...

Tresco's Filibusta hybrid however has gone from this in 2011...

To this now...

Lastly, some big Robusta's at a private facility in the Docklands in east London. This place is supposedly used for hosting business magnates. Quite a weird location to place them. Here they are shortly after planting in late 2017...

And then about 6 months later...

9 months later they're looking nice and healthy. The tallest Robusta's must be about 30-35 feet tall.

• Dimovi
      By Dimovi
      I have some seeds from a Texas Sabal for free or if you want to trade for other cold hardy seeds for 8b.
      I also have some pure filifera and dactylifera seeds.

• Coasta
      By Coasta
      hello everyone!! About a year ago I planted to palms from the same nursery. Before I purchased from this nursery I shopped around a lot to find the purest robustas. I noticed the smaller one is a bit hairier and I know that is a characteristic of a filifera, unless robustas are that hairy when they are young. If anyone could help me identify if the smaller one is a robusta, filibusta or filifera. I am hoping its a robusta, your expertise would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone could confirm that the bigger one is a robusta. Thank you!

• RyManUtah
      By RyManUtah
      Filifera babies popping up. Seeds sown from rotten fruit beneath the afformentioned wild Nevada specimens. What a nice surprise!