Sign in to follow this  
Moose

Feeding palms slow release organically

Moose

Arborist wood chip drop recieved yesterday afternoon :wub:

20200923_075731(1).jpg

• Like 2

Moose

Composed of freshly chipped mahogany and mango. My palms and other flora in the garden are going to enjoy this addition of organic material to the soil.

20200923_075753(1).jpg

Edited by Moose
  • Like 2

Moose

Already topped off my three compost barrels with mahogany leaves and fine chips. Compost to be used in the raised vegetable garden beds

The7thLegend

That's quite a haul and great organic compost.  Your plants are going to love it!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Fall/Dry Season is scheduled to start in the next day or so when the first "cold" front will drop night time lows below 70F for the first time in 6+ months and shut off the rainy season spigot. But last weekend my husband and I got a jump on yard maintenance by clearing out 2/3 of our west back yard jungle of containerized palm seedlings and shelving units so we could lay mulch. I also scrubbed and hosed off all shelving units on our dock before relaying them in the jungle. I also plan on evaluating, then repotting my container garden in a lighter mix based on coco coir. That was a lot of work and we were exhausted but the jungle could not go on in its current neglected state. Tonight I started prepping the remaining 1/3 of the west jungle for its remodel.
      Back Yard West Jungle, Cape Coral, FL Fall 2020

Pots of seedlings on shelf unit. Large bifid seedlings are Carpoxylon macrospermum

Ravenea julietiae newly planted in jungle

• Moose
      By Moose
      Copernicia hospita (25 years planted) center

• Moose
      By Moose
    • GaDawg
      By GaDawg
      I have quite a few palms I’ve transplanted the last couple years. And, most of them are doing great,  and I expect they’ll look even better the second year as the roots have grown enough to support them.
      I usually add Fertilome Root Stimulator (4-10-3) directly after transplanting and fertilize them every three months with Scott’s Palm and Ornamental slow release fertilizer (8-4-8)every 3-4 months. In the spring- usually the end of February,  because spring arrives early here is southeast Georgia- I’ll add Vigrio (sp) fast release pelletized fertilizer and I also add it in the middle of the summer. 
      Last year I saw a FB ad selling two windmill palms for $20 each. I couldn’t resist, so I loaded my trailer up, dug them up and planted them in a part-shade/part sun area in the yard. Down here, full sun doesn’t do these guys any favors. After transplanting them in April, the older leaves started to yellow. I figured that the new growth would be greener, and it was. Now it seems all the leaves are on the yellow side. I thought this might be because of the  cooler weather. However, they are also planted in an area that receives a lot of water, a lot more than any of my other palms. It does drain off, but I’m wondering if the nutrients are leaching; the soil is loamy on the sandy side. 
      What are some fast acting, immediate release fertilizers you guys have experience with? 
    • Moose
      By Moose
      Lots of Rain falling on the Moose Land. Could be up to 4' before the day is through.
      Spread 6 cu yards of "green mulch" from my pruned mango and avocado trees last month.
      Observed at least 6 different species of mushrooms popping up. The soil and earthworms must be happy.