Jump to content

Plam fertilizers


Plantking165
 Share

Recommended Posts

Since palmgain was discontinued I've been trying different things this is my latest discovery, just put some around the palms today I put quite a bit I mean lots its slow release most of it so it shouldn't burn them. It has the macros and lots of micros too so this may be my new go to since palm gain will no longer be around.

rs=w_1200,h_1200 (1).jpeg

rs=w_1200,h_1200.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Palmgain is on Amazon for now in all sizes

Youtube (TN Tropics) 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), louisiana(5), palmetto (1)  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Allen said:

Palmgain is on Amazon for now in all sizes

Yeah I saw it but I didn't wanna order it when it won't be continued I wanted to find something that was equally good and will be continued.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Plantking165 said:

Yeah I saw it but I didn't wanna order it when it won't be continued I wanted to find something that was equally good and will be continued.

It’s not discontinued

Youtube (TN Tropics) 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), louisiana(5), palmetto (1)  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Allen said:

It’s not discontinued

Just looked into it apparently it's not well anyhow this fertilizer looks equally as good and has free shipping on all sizes so that's a plus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Plantking165 said:

Just looked into it apparently it's not well anyhow this fertilizer looks equally as good and has free shipping on all sizes so that's a plus.

On their website it is close to twice the price of palmgain which itself has gone up

Youtube (TN Tropics) 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), louisiana(5), palmetto (1)  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There’s multiple threads about PalmGain and it’s future but I spoke to the owner of BGI and she said because of all the price increases with fertilizer nowadays, she can’t sell it for what she used to. She can’t even mfg it for what she used to sell it for. 
 

She did say it will continue to be made but was ramping things up from the previous issues she was having. Long story short….it’s around and should be for the foreseeable future BUT, it’s definitely going to be more expensive for awhile. (Which means forever) 

 

-dale

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Billeb said:

There’s multiple threads about PalmGain and it’s future but I spoke to the owner of BGI and she said because of all the price increases with fertilizer nowadays, she can’t sell it for what she used to. She can’t even mfg it for what she used to sell it for. 
 

She did say it will continue to be made but was ramping things up from the previous issues she was having. Long story short….it’s around and should be for the foreseeable future BUT, it’s definitely going to be more expensive for awhile. (Which means forever) 

 

-dale

I paid 37 bucks for 7lbs of the perfect palm how much is that in palmgain terms?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Plantking165 said:

I paid 37 bucks for 7lbs of the perfect palm how much is that in palmgain terms?

Per instructions, You are going to use 4 cups of fertilizer ( above 90F) every 6 weeks for something like a Queen.  4 dry cups = 1.77 pounds. So Basically 1 medium palm tree per a summer is $37. 

This war is making growing palms pricey, and when it does come to an end, companies never lower their prices.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 Year Zone Average 20F. Ryan: Contact 979.204.4161 Collectorpalms@gmail.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was buying 40 lb bags from a local Ag supply shop.  Don't remember brand or numbers.  Now I switch to HD and their 20 lb bag.  It's about the same price as the 40 lb bag w/the veterans discount.  Don't remember brand on numbers on that either.  But at 79 the 20 lb bag is a LOT EASIER to handle.  LOL

Just googled it:   https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-20-lb-All-Season-Ixora-and-Ornamental-Plant-Food-8-4-8-162227/203091189

 

  • Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These prices wont be coming down, inflation has been very high so I expect 50 lb bags will be $100 or more.  Bottom line every reputable economist will tell you that printing an extra 8 trillion means everything will cost more.   Gas may come down a little as it has risen above inflation levels but fertilizer at a 30% increase is about what can be expected for everything else.   The money supply has increased 22-31% each year 2020-2022 and they keep printing and spending.  This is an old story how inflation hits the middle and lower class and if you are young you do not know.  The upper class makes money off of economic instability, the rest get hit with "inflation paycuts".  Why is it suddenly that the media cant tell the people the historical facts about printing lots of money and how it spurs inflation I cannot explain.   If you want to be more fertilizer efficient, you can increase cation exchange of the soil, but I have decided to alter the way I fertilize palms as well.  Many palms will get minimal fertilizer those seriously dependent on micros will get more langbeinite(half the price of NPK fertilizer currently) and I will watch my palms to see what they can be happy with.  I am also going to continue putting down turface MVP in my sandy soil areas to maximize cation exchange permanently.  And a 180 day controlled release fertilizer will be much better than 60-90 day "slow release" efficiency/cost wise, so I will continue to use florikan but sparingly except for my palms that are particularly susceptible to micro deficiencies.  I remember the last time inflation was this bad, the end of Carter presidency it was terrible.  People learned how damaging inflation was back then, it seems many today do not, as they think the prices are coming down.   Get used to it, and plan accordingly as inflation is not slowing down according to the numbers.

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

 

Tom Blank

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Plantking165 said:

I paid 37 bucks for 7lbs of the perfect palm how much is that in palmgain terms?

They are different formulas so that would need to be figured out but generally perfect palm was $5.28/pound and palm gain at $30 for 10 pounds on Amazon is $3/pound and both are 6 week fertilizers.  Free shipping on both if you have prime which many people have.

  • Like 1

Youtube (TN Tropics) 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), louisiana(5), palmetto (1)  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah fertilizer is getting expensive especially if you want a good one

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everything is going up except our paychecks. 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

These prices wont be coming down, inflation has been very high so I expect 50 lb bags will be $100 or more.  Bottom line every reputable economist will tell you that printing an extra 8 trillion means everything will cost more.   Gas may come down a little as it has risen above inflation levels but fertilizer at a 30% increase is about what can be expected for everything else.   The money supply has increased 22-31% each year 2020-2022 and they keep printing and spending.  This is an old story how inflation hits the middle and lower class and if you are young you do not know.  The upper class makes money off of economic instability, the rest get hit with "inflation paycuts".  Why is it suddenly that the media cant tell the people the historical facts about printing lots of money and how it spurs inflation I cannot explain.   If you want to be more fertilizer efficient, you can increase cation exchange of the soil, but I have decided to alter the way I fertilize palms as well.  Many palms will get minimal fertilizer those seriously dependent on micros will get more langbeinite(half the price of NPK fertilizer currently) and I will watch my palms to see what they can be happy with.  I am also going to continue putting down turface MVP in my sandy soil areas to maximize cation exchange permanently.  And a 180 day controlled release fertilizer will be much better than 60-90 day "slow release" efficiency/cost wise, so I will continue to use florikan but sparingly except for my palms that are particularly susceptible to micro deficiencies.  I remember the last time inflation was this bad, the end of Carter presidency it was terrible.  People learned how damaging inflation was back then, it seems many today do not, as they think the prices are coming down.   Get used to it, and plan accordingly as inflation is not slowing down according to the numbers.

Well said. 👍

-dale

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...