Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ornamental Palm Horticulture by Timothy K. Broschat

4 posts in this topic

Is Ornamental Palm Horticulture by Timothy K. Broschat a good resource for 8b, upper Gulf Coast (Alabama)? I see both authors are based in Dade County, so I wonder if the focus is on tropical palms. If not this book, is there one that you'd recommend?

I've already learned a great deal by perusing and asking questions here, but I'm old fashioned about wanting an authoritative volume for my shelf!

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

In climates like the Gulf Coast, I would imagine this one would be a good resource: https://www.amazon.com/Betrocks-Cold-Hardy-Palms-Meerow/dp/0962976164

Agree with kinzyjr.   I have both Betrocks palm books.  The one for Cold Hardy Palms is invaluable(is that a word?).  That book keeps me grounded on the reality of my USDA zone.

Thanks, guys. I was indeed getting a little too optimistic (delusional); drunk on my five species currently in cultivation, in spite of the 17° night we had last winter that killed my 6' Rhapis excelsa to the ground. (It has since resprouted a humble 6".) Your endorsement of the Betrock book means a lot.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• The Book, "The Palms of Cuba" is on sale!
      By Licuala
      From July 6 until July 16, The Palms of Cuba book will be on sale at $5.00 off  (12.5% savings) the regular price of $39.95 or $34.95.   This very limited time offer includes free shipping and the book being autographed by the author when purchased on www.palmnutpages.com.    Don't miss this unique opportunity to buy a copy for yourself or as a gift for that special palm nut you know. This offer may not be repeated!    Amazon.com is also offering this sale price for the same time period but the books will not be autographed or necessarily shipped free unless buyers are prime customers. They do offer the best shipping rates for international customers though.  For more information, you can visit the Facebook page made up for this book at: https://www.facebook.com/The-Palms-of-Cuba-1235550999909816/. 

• Designing with Palms - my new book
      By JasonD
      Hello, fellow palm enthusiasts,
      My new book, Designing with Palms, has been released and is shipping now! The book is about the many ways that palms can contribute to a beautiful landscape.
      After 30+ years of being a member of the International Palm Society, and five years of working on the book (with lots of help from IPS members), I'm very excited to share it with everyone who loves palms and gardens. My photographer colleague, Caitlin Atkinson, and I photographed and learned about gardens on the Big Island of Hawai`i, South Carolina, Miami, Key West, Naples, Broward County, Los Angeles, Palm Springs, Santa Barbara, Ventura, and the San Francisco Bay Area. Caitlin's photographs are beautiful. 
      The publisher is Timber Press, who brought out the Encyclopedia of Cultivated Palms by Robert Lee Riffle, Paul Craft, and Scott Zona.
      I will have copies to sell so please get in touch if you would like a copy -- and I'm glad to sign them if you would like that.
      I will be doing slide lectures in the SF Bay Area this spring, and I hope to be announcing events beyond the Bay as well -- Southern California, South Carolina, Florida -- and maybe Texas and Louisiana and the Pacific Northwest, too. Let me know if you've got ideas for where I should present.
      The first event is at City Lights Bookstore in San Francisco on March 14, 2018, at 7pm.
      Thanks,
      Jason Dewees

• Warm winter predicted for Texas Gulf Coast
      By LF-TX
      Just yesterday, as some may already know, NOAA provided their temperature and precipitation predictions for the 2017-2018 winter season. According to their prediction, it looks like a good chunk of the state of Texas is bound to see warmer than average temperatures during this coming winter; good news for us palm lovers! On the other side of the coin, it also looks like, unfortunately, the Texas coast will see below average precipitation. If these predictions hold up, hopefully us Texas won’t have to worry so much about severe artic blasts rearing their ugly heads on our tropical plants. While supplemental watering may be needed, there is no need for dread - we’re no strangers to that. Plus,  some of our trees like coconuts and flame trees prefer warm and dry over those sad, blue, cold and wet days! Starting the month of December through February, I will start jotting down Brownsville’s daily temperatures so that way, by the end of the winter period, I’ll be able to average them and see whether or not the city meets tropical climate status for the year and or a different USDA Zone other than 10a. I wish well to everyone’s tropical plants and palms! 

Images from NOAA 

• A Palm Book for Christmas!
      By PalmTreeDude
      I got a palm tree book for Christmas and it is awesome! Does anyone else have this book?

• Impressed With Galveston/Moody Gardens
      By Xerarch
      I'm back in Houston continuing the job search, I took a little break out to Galveston and was impressed with the palmage out there, even some surprises.
      Not a great photo out the car window but there were a handful of foxtails, not the greatest specimens but impressive that they are there