IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Price We Pay

Neofolis

On another thread it was mentioned that in the US a cold winter often follows a good summer.  I noted that it is often the other way round here, i.e. the cold winter preceeds the hot summer.

Having just had our hottest July ever, we now have the worst August I can remember, at least for many years, whether or not that is reflected statistically remains to be seen.  This morning when I left work at 6:00am it was 6°C/43°F, a temperature that I would normally associate with mid-late October.

I just wondered what experiences people recall of frustrating changeable weather, I'm thinking more long-term rather than daily changes.  I realise the UK has a fairly stable climate compared with many places, particularly the US, so I'm sure others have experiences that will make me feel better about our poor August.

This month has certainly reinforced my desire to relocate to a warmer climate.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Neo-

Your experience this AM reminds me of some August mornings in Maine (where I am from originally).  It was not uncommon to have low 40's on colder mornings this time of year.  In fact, there have actually been mild freezes, and certainly more frosts than could be counted, in late August in most parts of the state.

August really provides a quick transition to fall in this area of the country as the normal highs drop about 7-8F from the 1st of the month to the last.

But, my Maine days are long since passed :D  As a relative reference, it was 78F (25.6C) when I woke up this AM in Tarpon Springs.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Neofolis ...

What a summer !! And we broken record after record, you have right we pay a high price again. Why can the weather here can give us a good long summer ?

We have today broken records again here in the netherlands, and no not a heat record !! We have broken now the wettest record ever, since 1906.

Normally we get 60 mm/2.36 Inch of rain this month, but everywhere in the land we above 150 mm/5.90 Inch, The west and southwest of our land most places are above the 200mm/7.87 Inch and there are some places there is it very extreme with more then 300mm/11.81 Inch of rain !!

There are lot of town where streets with water, houses under water, water sprouts, hail, tunderstorm with a lot of wind etcetc ...

But we don't have that low night tempetures, we are every night between the 15-16C/ 59-60.8F ... And day tempetures between the 20-23C/ 68-73.4F !

Southwest

The last summer I lived in Colorado, 2002, was horrible.  I was outside one afternoon in the middle of May, and it was about 25C and sunny outside.  I watched as a solid, thick, black cloud moved in slowly from the north.  The cloud covered the entire horizon.  About an hour later it was really dark outside from the cloud, the temperature was about 5C, and the wind was howling.  The wind was so strong I could hardly drive my car (which is a low-profile hatchback).  There was a hard freeze that night in Denver, which is pretty wierd for that time of the year.

Then, later that summer on the soltice (June 21), I had to drive early in the morning from Denver to Colorado Springs.  Along the way there is a hill you pass over that has an elevation of about 2300m (Denver is 1500m).  Anyway, the top of the hill was covered with fresh snow a few cm deep!

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Also a part of belgium was very wet last night ... i think one hour from here with the car ... Good luck the rain from there was not here :) Here some picture's from somebody that have take a look this morning there ...

Frame_IMG_1119_DxO.jpg

Frame_IMG_1159_DxO.jpg

Frame_IMG_1162_DxO.jpg

Southwest

For now, the gives more dry weather !! Next week the sun is shining ... but like neofolis say the tempetures are then like autemm ...

Southwest

Our Weather for the Next 10 days.... not too bad:

TODAY,           Aug 25  Low: 67F,   High: 80F

SATURDAY,     Aug 26  Low: 66F,   High: 74F

SUNDAY,         Aug 27 Low: 70F,   High: 77F

MONDAY  ,      Aug 28 Low: 70F,   High: 84F

TUESDAY,       Aug 29  Low 70F,  High  82F

WEDNESDAY  Aug 30  Low 69F,   High  84F

THURSDAY     Aug 31  Low  67F,  High   82F

FRIDAY          Sep  1   Low  70F,   High  82F

SATURDAY     Sep  2   Low  71F,   High  83F

SUNDAY         Sep 3   Low   70F,   High  81F

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

bobby you killin me with those temps, i cant even remember the last time it was not at least 100 deg

Yeah, 100 is too high for me, Mike...... It was like that here for a week..... I like it "tropical", .... not an oven..lol..

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(GREENHAND @ Aug. 25 2006,15:49)

bobby you killin me with those temps, i cant even remember the last time it was not at least 100 deg

Greenhand, know what you mean.  It hasn't rained in so long.  It hasn't been quite as hot here as N. TX but we have had PLENTY of 100F days.  Here is the weather stats the last month for my parents house in North Texas.  Look at this run of hot weather folks.  Come to TX and we will talk about heat:

July06:

Day  H   L

9   101  73

10 103  78

11 105  73

12 103  79

13 108  81

14 106  78

15 105  75

16 106  77

17 108  80

18 109  79

19 107  80

20 108  79

21 107  78

22  97  75

23  97  69

24 100  69

25 104  77

26 102  75

27 107  75

28 101  75

29 103  78

30 105  79

31 104  80

Aug 06:  

1  104  81

2  104  82

3  105  82

4  106  76

5  105  77

6  105  75

7  102  75

8  103  75

9  106  82

10 107  82

11 104  85

12 101  80

13 104  80

14 104  81

15  98  73

16 102  76

17 107  72

18 106  77

19 105  78

20 104  75

21 100  76

22  94  76

23 105  75

24 109  75

Bobby,  those recent temperatures of yours would be a record breaking cold spell around here.  I think the all time low was around 67 F.  Here it is not so much like an oven, it is more on the sauna side. Things don't change much day to day, hot with sun, a little less hot with rain and clouds.  The real feel input from accuweather is interesting.  Any way you look at it is hot, with no relief in site.  When the rainy season starts in November or so we might get some days under 90 F.  I remember seeing snow in town, Great Falls, Montana, in August.  I grew up in Montana and it is a great place.  But, I don't miss cold weather.

dk

Upcoming days forecast

Saturday, Aug 26

Hot and humid with intervals of clouds and sun High: 99° F RealFeel®: 110° F

Saturday Night: Mainly cloudy and humid   Low: 75° F   RealFeel: 82° F

Sunday, Aug 27

Hot with clouds and breaks of sun               High: 99° F RealFeel: 107° F

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy and humid            Low: 75° F     RealFeel: 80° F

Monday, Aug 28

Hot and humid with times of clouds and sun High: 97° F  RealFeel: 104° F

Monday Night: Partly cloudy and humid            Low: 76° F     RealFeel: 80° F

Tuesday, Aug 29

Partly sunny and hot                                       High: 99° F RealFeel: 106° F

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy and humid            Low: 75° F RealFeel: 81° F

Wednesday, Aug 30

Very warm and humid with times of clouds and sun High: 95° F RealFeel: 103° F

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy and humid             Low: 75° F RealFeel: 81° F

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

(amazondk @ Aug. 26 2006,08:14)

I remember seeing snow in town, Great Falls, Montana, in August.  I grew up in Montana and it is a great place.  But, I don't miss cold weather.

I lived in Great Falls when I was in the military at Malmstrom AFB.  What I can remember is that it does get extremely cold - below zero frequently, until a chinook wind came through and warmed it up.  Wind constantly blowing from what I remember.   It was beautiful though, and summers very nice.

The weather is here almost every day on the tv  ??? More then we have the heat wave ... Every day there are places the have floodings or water sprouts ...

Southwest

Jim,

One thing that is interesting about the climate in Great Falls is that it can be 30 below zero F and in a few hours be 30 above F.  I can remember it seemed like summer had arrived.  I know Malmstrom AFB well, my dad used to work there at the FAA air control center.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

(amazondk @ Aug. 27 2006,07:50)

Jim,

One thing that is interesting about the climate in Great Falls is that it can be 30 below zero F and in a few hours be 30 above F.  I can remember it seemed like summer had arrived.  I know Malmstrom AFB well, my dad used to work there at the FAA air control center.  

dk

Yeah, I can remember it being -30F or 60F in Jan and anywhere inbetween, depending on if there was a chinook wind blowing.  Could be extremely cold or extremely mild (relatively speaking) in the winter.  You're right, I've heard of it warming up as much as 50 degrees in an hour or two.  Remember one year where we had -30-40 temps in the winter and the next summer we had temps over 100F.  I worked in the same building your dad was in in the Airfield Operations Complex.

Jim,  

What years were you there.  My dad worked in the SAGE building, is that where you were.  I used to go out there as a kid and plug in with the controllers and monitor traffic.  I thought it was pretty neat to do.  It is interesting to think that my notebook surely has a lot more computing capacity than the two huge tube computers they had running there.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Maybe it wasn't the same building.  I worked in the Air Traffic Control Tower building on the flightline.  It sounds like your dad was in the Radar Approach control building.  2 Separate Air Traffic Facilities.  I remember the SAGE bldg, but my memory is a little hazy.  I can't remember the exact layout of the base.  I remember going into the SAGE bldg on many occasions because that is where our squadron hq was located.  I was there in the early/mid 90s.

Jim,

I think they had closed the ATC down in Great Falls by the time you got there.  They split up the area and gave it to MSP and SEA.  My dad stayed on for a while as liason officer with NORAD working out of the same building.  The SAGE building was a big concrete box, no windows, bomb proof, well mostly.  The FAA used the digital radar system as a prototype for the National Air System they later developed.  One of my favorite times was being there when the SR71 came through.   It was amazing to watch it's tracks on radar at mach 3 or whatever it was going.  I remember everyday at around 1 PM hearing the sonic boom as they came over going north from Sacramento.  I guess this has nothing to do with weather, but it is interesting.  One of our pastimes when kids in the sixties was sit in front of the house looking northwest speculating on what it would look like with Minutemen missles launching and Russian missiles arriving.  It didn't seem like there could be much else you could do than watch.  When in elementary school we used have the hide under your desk air raid drills.  I never could figure out good that would do.

Anyway Manaus is long way from those sort of worries.  But it is hot today, real hot.

Here in the equatorial lowland tropics it is just another day of a very long summer

AccuWeather Quick Look™

Monday, August 28, 2006

Currently at 4:42 PM

Manaus, Brazil Current Conditions

partly sunny

Temperature: 95° F

RealFeel®: 96° F

Manaus

Conditions

Today

Manaus, Brazil Weather

Sun and clouds; hot and humid

High: 97° F

RealFeel®: 106° F

Tonight

Manaus, Brazil Weather

Mostly cloudy and humid

Low: 76° F

RealFeel®: 81° F

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Well there's been no real improvement in the temperatures, although we didn't go quite as low again.  Rain here has been sporadic, accasional downpours, some lasting several hours.  It will be interesting to see the stats issued by the MET office in the next few days, especially when compared with July.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Well Ernesto was truly a blessing around here with constant rain yesterday and some wind early evening (about 35 mph?). My sprinkler system is OFF. The storm passes and leaves a fresh, brand new and clear atmosphere. I'm going to check the new sprouts tonight!

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes