IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Costa Rica

bgl

Leland Lei, who has been responsible for organizing and arranging the upcoming Biennial in Costa Rica in early May 2008 sent me a number of photos and asked me to post them. Unfortunately, Leland is "on the road" right now so I'm unable to get any further info from him, but I'll post the photos and hopefully we can add some additional background info as time goes by.

post-22-1200375413_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Incidentally, Leland took all these photos on a trip there in June 2007.

post-22-1200375487_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Misc. vegetation!?

post-22-1200375556_thumb.jpg

Any idea what kind of fruit this is? (Maybe we should turn this into a guessing contest...!)

post-22-1200375598_thumb.jpg

I wonder if this is the hotel we'll be staying at...!?

post-22-1200375666_thumb.jpg

I'd say this is a fern!!

post-22-1200375711_thumb.jpg

And a Zamia!! But what species...?

post-22-1200375752_thumb.jpg

Looks like an Aiphanes

post-22-1200375823_thumb.jpg

And a Bactris

post-22-1200375858_thumb.jpg

No idea what this is. And incidentally, registration for the Biennial is coming along very well. It will close when we reach 200, or on March 15th, whichever comes first. Based on how fast people are signing up it wouldn't surprise me if we get to 200 before the March 15th deadline.

So, bottom line, anyone who intends to join us for the weeklong fun in Costa Rica - SIGN UP NOW!! :)  You don't want to miss out on this one. And if you've never been on a Biennial before, this promises to be a VERY memorable event. And these Biennials have a tendency to become addictive - once you've been on one, you don't want to miss the next one. And the next one, incidentally, has not been decided yet, but it seems to be between Canary Islands (Tenerife) and Brazil (Rio de Janeiro area). That'll be in 2010, and a decision will be made at the IPS Board Meeting on May 3rd.

The 2012 Biennial has already been decided, and will be held in Thailand, with emphasis on Nong Nooch Botanical Garden.

post-22-1200376263_thumb.jpg

Just received a quick e-mail from Leland. He informs me that the fruit in post #4 is from Bactris gasipaes, locally known as Pejibaye, and it WILL be part of our menu there!

He also confirms that the photo in post #5 is indeed from the hotel where we will be staying. The name of the hotel was the Melia Cariari, but it was changed to Double Tree by Hilton San Jose effective January 1st, 2008.

Post #7 is Zamia neurophylidia and post #10 is also a cycad. Probably Zamia as well. Just not a clear picture to tell.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Also in your first post, It looks like a Cryosophila spp.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

In post 8 the leaflets look too narrow to be the Aiphanes that I am acquainted with, aculeata and minima. I think the palm in post 9 would be an Astrocaryum because of the white undersides to the leaves. (I learned this from Andrew Henderson on the 2006 trip up the Rio Negro.)

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Jeff and Mike,

Thanks for the input and additional (and presumably correct!) information.

Bo-Göran

Hi Bo, I hope you don't mind if I add a few pictures of the Hanging Bridges Tour and the Arenal Volcano, both of which will be seen during the Biennial.  

One of the many bridges on the Hanging Bridges Tour

P7280052.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Jeff,

You're more than welcome to post as many Costa Rica photos as you want - preferably of places we'll be visiting!

Bo-Göran

Hi Bo, the Hanging Bridges is the only place on the itineray that I have already visited.  That's why I am so excited about the Biennial, I will be seeing many places for the first time!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Another two dozen registrants in the last week or so. At the rate registration is going right now, we will have reached the 200 limit sometime in Februuary, maybe even before mid month.

In other words - don't wait till the "last minute" if you intend to participate. The "last minute" may be too late because nobody knows when that will be. Could be much sooner than we thought! :)

• 1 month later...

Leland: I am happy to know that finally there will be a good number comming to the biennial. It seems also that more tha the 50% of the places to Puerto Maldonado (Reserva Amazónica) are occuped. I just came back from Reserva last sunday 17.

Fernando

• 3 weeks later...

(bgl @ Jan. 15 2008,00:39)

Any idea what kind of fruit this is? (Maybe we should turn this into a guessing contest...!)

Bo,

In post 4 it is a pupunha, Bactris gasipaes, boiled, peeled, and ready to eat.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

Very interesting! Thanks! And we are getting VERY close now - both to the March 15 deadline and the maximum number of participants (200). I don't have the exact, current, number at hand, but I think we may be approaching single digits as far as how many more can register. So, a good time to make a decision and register would probably be RIGHT ABOUT NOW! :)

Bo-Göran