IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus takil at the roof of the world

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Excelent article, greath information!

Palms and history mixed in the article make this excelent for me,

also the pictures of a never seen before cold hardy palmtree.-

Nigel,

Yes its true,  the accident of discovery of certain species and proliferation of them at the expense of other more desirable species can be unfortunate.  For example,  say Chamedorea costaricana had become more widely grown than C. seifrizei or,  Parajubaea torallyi had become more widely grown than Syagrus romanzoffiana.  Alas,  it will take many years now before we see the real takil in cultivation,  as mature palms.  They need a sponsor Nigel.....

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for sharing!

Trachies are seriously underappreciated here in California, where they grow so well.  All you need to do is give them water and they thrive.

I hope that many more species start to make their way here, and hope they don't hybridize too freely, like the Phoenix . . . .

I have a specimen in my garden, I'm not sure what it is (it's not the lovely in the article, I'm afraid) but everyone swoons over it, even the Australians and the Floridians.

I hope some seeds from that lovely plant in the article make it here.

It'll find a happy home . . . .

It's nothing like the "takil" that's been around a while here in the trade, which has been re-identifed as "wagnerianus."

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave, your a good guy.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Nigel,

Thanks for posting this link. It is very exciting news to someone like me who lives in a climate too cold for all but two species of palms.

The takil given that it grows near the permanent snow line is really giving me some hope that they might be able to survive in the warmest of microclimates in the Cincinnati area. Some neighborhoods in the immediate downtown region on both sides of the Ohio River are most likely zone 7a and mine's one of them.

The was a T. fortunei growing outside on a river barge that was turned into a nightclub/restaurant for over 10 years here in Cincinnati. It received no protection other than sitting right on the Ohio River. The club closed down, so the trachy was probably trashed at that time.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

I would try a Trachycarpus if I could find one. I think they look like Thrinax and Cocothrinax a little - just a heck of a lot more cold hardy. I like Trachies used as group plantings, or as smaller accent palmate palms in the landscape. The ones that look torn up and ratty are usually solitary specimens exposed to very harsh dry winds or extreme heat. I think there are some Trachies planted at the hospital where I work and the ones that actually get watered and fertilized look great.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Wow, Trachycarpus look great when grown in the right climate!  There is only one place I have seen healthy Trachycarpus (fortunei, of course) in my city, and I need to take some pictures over the weekend to show.  

Now, I understand that these palms are quite hardy to cold, but how to they stand up to ice and snow?  I have considered planting one at my parents' house in St. Louis, MO (zone 5b but they haven't seen below 0 in probably 15 years...) but would the frequent heavy ice and show break the fronds off?  They would not be able to mess with protection at all.

ps- this may be off topic, but does anyone have photos/ an explanation on the morphological differences between fortunei and takil (since I've never seen anything but fortunei)?

Thanks

-Brian

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

I looked at the article, but it really has no use for us here, but I looked. The bottom line is, you can't grow it all.....

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Seems to me I remember seeing a couple of T. fortunei in Largo (FL) a couple of years ago-probably the extreme southern spot in FL where it would grow. Maybe Eric has at Leu?

Saw a quite a few in Portland, OR a few years back when I lived there. Periodic ice storms there did no permanent damage.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

It's a beautiful palm. I reckon it should be planted instead of the overly common Washingtonia's. This would be a great palm for the SW of Oz, even out into the wheatbelt.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Brian, Takil has more leaflets per frond and a silvery underside as shown in Nigels link comapred to fortunei.

it also supposely grows taller and faster growing, bigger/better and more cold hardy.

however there has been much confusion as what a "true" takil is.  seeds distributed as takil in the past have turned out to be what people are calling 'nanital' or somthing now a variation of fortunei.

the cold hardy palm guys on the hardy palm and subtropical board have had many a discussion recently about this controversy.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

(FRITO @ Feb. 05 2008,09:24)

Brian, Takil has more leaflets per frond and a silvery underside as shown in Nigels link comapred to fortunei.

it also supposely grows taller and faster growing, bigger/better and more cold hardy.

however there has been much confusion as what a "true" takil is.  seeds distributed as takil in the past have turned out to be what people are calling 'nanital' or somthing now a variation of fortunei.

the cold hardy palm guys on the hardy palm and subtropical board have had many a discussion recently about this controversy.

Thats right, despite being `rediscovered` some 14 or so years ago , everybody who eagerly acquired and grew this palm found that it was not what it was supposed to be.

So, 14 years down the road and nobody has a takil.

Worse still was the speculation and propaganda being spread around.

Anyway, these pics show that the palm is there in all its glory. Some seeds have found their way into circulation this year ,although seed is quite rare and hard to acquire in any large numbers.

Hopefully in another 14 years the palm will finally be gracing many gardens throughout the world.

I will invite Sergio from Italy who knows all about this palm to post some further interesting pictures.

Resident in Bristol UK.

This is cool stuff, thanks for sharing....keep it coming.  

Trachy's look great in my garden, and many sp. seem to like it here in No. Ca.... I can't wait to give the real T. takil a try!

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Fastfeat- If they can take ice, I will plant one in St. Louis if I can get one there cheap.

FRITO- now that you mention it, it does have tons of very thin leaflets, even I can tell without a side-to-side comparison.  

If this is truly hardier than fortunei (which would be incredible), it may hold more promise for the midwestern US (not that I've personally ever seen anyone there trying Fortunei even).

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

Hmmm...

There is a T. takil at the Fullerton Arboretum in California and now I wonder if it is the true species.

Too bad Trachys don't fare well here in Florida.  I wonder if Princeps would make it here???

I think Waggies make VERY nice potted palms- people seem to notice them.

Trachy fortunei will survive heinous abuse, but look ugly in the process, like a forgotten prisoner all covered with too much hair.

The other species are much prettier at their best.

Waggies make bitchen bonsais in those adorable too-expensive ceramic pots . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Were it not for Trachy fortunei, many old folks down here would not know palms.  They may not look their best, but they have survived much abuse, more than any other palms save for a few CIDP, including the great freeze of 89 where it got down to 9 degrees.    I have a few in my garden down here in old Louisiana and have no doubt they will outlive me.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

(Nigel @ Feb. 05 2008,08:10)

(FRITO @ Feb. 05 2008,09:24)

Thats right, despite being `rediscovered` some 14 or so years ago , everybody who eagerly acquired and grew this palm found that it was not what it was supposed to be.

So, 14 years down the road and nobody has a takil.

Worse still was the speculation and propaganda being spread around.

Anyway, these pics show that the palm is there in all its glory. Some seeds have found their way into circulation this year ,although seed is quite rare and hard to acquire in any large numbers.

Hopefully in another 14 years the palm will finally be gracing many gardens throughout the world.

I will invite Sergio from Italy who knows all about this palm to post some further interesting pictures.

Nigel,

I remember a while back that what was being sold as T. takil was actually T. fortunei, and that the real T. takil was supposed to have a much larger trunk among other traits.  Anyway, I ordered some seeds of T. takil about 2 years ago, thinking I was finally getting the real deal.  Connecting your comment to the article you posted, it sounds like I actually have plants that came from the plant in Naini Tal?

This seems to be a problem with Trachycarpus in general.  It's been hell tracking down plants of the real T. princeps, but plants from seed I bought at the same time as the T. takil now have very white undersides, so I hope I have it.  Also, plants I've purchased as T. nanus appear to be imposters.  At least my T. martianus look the way they're supposed to (I think)...

Jack

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

(elHoagie @ Feb. 05 2008,19:54)

I remember a while back that what was being sold as T. takil was actually T. fortunei, and that the real T. takil was supposed to have a much larger trunk among other traits.  Anyway, I ordered some seeds of T. takil about 2 years ago, thinking I was finally getting the real deal.  Connecting your comment to the article you posted, it sounds like I actually have plants that came from the plant in Naini Tal?

This seems to be a problem with Trachycarpus in general.  It's been hell tracking down plants of the real T. princeps, but plants from seed I bought at the same time as the T. takil now have very white undersides, so I hope I have it.  Also, plants I've purchased as T. nanus appear to be imposters.  At least my T. martianus look the way they're supposed to (I think)...

Jack

Jack, if you want to post some pics I will happily I.D. what you have.

Resident in Bristol UK.

(Nigel @ Feb. 06 2008,00:12)

Jack, if you want to post some pics I will happily I.D. what you have.

Thanks Nigel!  I'll try to get some this weekend.  A couple might be a little difficult because they still just have strap leaves...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

I can often identify them even with straps......

Resident in Bristol UK.

Trachs do grow in South Florida! I have seen them field grown, fourtuni I suspect. They are on the LY list but they have been around. I bet that most growers have forgoten or never knew about the palm.

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

• 2 weeks later...