IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

December weather thread

ruskinPalms

November ended warm and December is starting that way. Supposed to see a cooldown tomorrow but nothing too serious. The palms have slowed down now despite at least 2 straight weeks of mid 80's for highs and mid 60's for lows with a fair amount of humidity. This leads me to believe that a lot of palms' push to grow comes from the sun angle and intensity more than the temps this time of year. Everything is still slowly growing though. Rain would be nice. I don't think I had measurable rainfall in November...Hope December brings mild temps with some rain.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

We hit low 80's here in South Louisiana today, expecting 37 for a low tomorrow night and highs in the low 60s with an arriving cold front, then by Wed we are projected to be back to the mid 70's.  Such is winter here.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Supposed to hit 46F by Tuesday night here then back up into the mid 50's. Usually the weather guys have it wrong here. The 46 will be 50, then the next night that is supposed to be in low to mid 50's will be 47 to 48. They don't forcast real good for my particular location south of Tampa Bay. Tuesday night, the cold will be advectively driven, wednesday night will be radiational cooling, my achilles heel.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

News flash - Weather service just dropped our projected low for tomorrow night from 37 down to 34.   That is gonna be chilly, frost for sure.  

But they are still showing us back to mid 70's for Wed and to 79 for Friday with lows in the mid 60s.  Got to love northern Gulf Coast weather.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Still only 46 here, but your misfortune is our misfortune. Cold in LA means cold in FL. Really, us in west central FL are not far from you at all. Just a little more water between us and the Arctic circle.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Since our -6°C/21°F on 23rd November, it's been fairly mild, particularly night time temperatures, which have mostly been between 8-11°C/46-52°F.  It's forecast to drop slightly from the end of the week onwards, but still mild for December in the UK.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Hi,

After a stormy and wet day yesterday... it still contunes for us here... a lot of wind and showers this week. A very strong west circulation looks like coming... if that happens then it can be still very mild in the winter. Last winter we have got also a strong west/south circulation, that give us a couple night's light frost and no winter...

The first of December would be very mild... so is this a good start for the first winter month? December/Januari/Februari are the winter months ... but the last few years mostly we get the winter weather in Februari and March.

Normal averages

Daytempeture: 7C/44.6F

Night tempeture: 2C/35.6F

04-12-2007

Daytempeture: 8C/46.4F

Night tempeture: 5C/41F

05-12-2007

Daytempeture: 13C/55.4F

Night tempeture: 7C/44.6F

06-12-2007

Daytempeture: 12C/53.6F

Night tempeture: 8C/46.4

07-12-2007

Daytempeture: 14C/57.2F

Night tempeture: 11C/51.8F

08-12-2007

Daytempeture: 11C/51.8F

Night tempeture: 5C/41F

And i still have got only 2 frost night's -0,3C and -0,6C that's between the 31 en 32F.

Robbin

Southwest

Bill,

Don't hold your breath waiting for rain.  

The bigger news is "freeze season" starts on December 10th and runs through February 20th.  Hurricanes may or may not rear their ugly heads but you can bet on "cold" weather.  Is your "cold weather kit" ready for the long season ahead?

Basic neccessities:

1.  Weather radio

2.  Frost blankets

3.  Food provisions to last at least a week

4.  Propane heaters

5.  Generator to run your electric heaters

6.  Anti-depressants to last you until March

7.  A realtor to find you property next door to Bo

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I've already got the anti-depressants ready! Dark at 5:45pm? Good lord! I think the reason the lows plummet the second night is the calm, dry air. The first night always seems to have some wind with it, and usually off water for me(New Port Richey). Wed night will be the coldest for sure, but then it warms up the following day quickly. My whopping .11" in November looks like a winner for west florida. My cousin in Apopka got over 2" of rain on Friday evening/night in a long-lasting tstorm...lucky b@@ch....the freeze watch begins! Greg who ENJOYED this weekends blue skies, moderate humidity and afternoons that each hit 82F.

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Here in colorado we've had an incredibly warm winter.  Our lowest temp so far has been 18F.  This winter has been downright balmy when compared to last winter's low temperature -11F, snowfall 47", windspeed to 97mph, and snowdrifts to 8 feet deep.

If only my trachy had survived last winter :(

Last winter's snowfall totalled close to 95 inches.  We have had a total of 13 inches this year.

- Scott -

Littleton Colorado - Zone 6A.

Growing several Rhapidophyllum hystrix, and attempting a T-Fortunei.

In my part of N. Calif, the weather has been kind of strange the last two weeks of November, but then, my weather is always strange. The days were coolish and each night would drop another degree and there were several light frosts, but not freezing yet. 3 mornings ago I walked out expecting 32F and it was 41F. This morning it was 57F, which for this time of the year feels balmy here.

The front that has been pounding NW Calif. and the Pacific NW, has been skirting the Bay Area for 3 days. I can look to the east and the sun is shinning on Mt. Diablo, to the west and north, and you can actually see the edge of the front, and it looks stormy. We have been getting a southerly air flow, and today it even got up to 72F. Finally, the front is supposed to move south and the forcast is for rain tonight, but I''m not going to hold my breath until it does....It's very dry here. It's weird, but often times the first few fronts of the season will stall out at the Golden Gate, and Marin Co. might get 3" of rain, and it will be bright and sunny here, only about 40 miles away.

Even though it has seemed chilly, it's been warmer than normal, as I could have expected 32F or below by Dec. 3rd. The tips of my tomatoes got slightly nipped one night, but that's the only frost damage I can see, and they are still growing.

With the kinds of palms I grow, I don't worry until the night temps drop below 25F, and then it gets a little dicey for the marginals. And, yes, I hate these short days....drives me nuts!

Dick

Richard Douglas

Hmmmm---

43.4F at 7:00pm, I'm just a tad worried. It was 80 yesterday and we were lounging in shorts outside. Today the high struggled into the low 50s even with maximum insolation with beautiful blue skies and lots of cold air advection. Obviously much more than the NWS anticipated. They have been adjusting our low downward over the last few days bit by bit...now predicting 30F, at least at the airport out in the (extremely variable, rolling) countryside. Usually due to proximity to the MS river and a small heat island, I'm 4-10F above that (right now they're 39F), though it was so cold today I'm very concerned we may only have a 2-3F advantage over the airport at daybreak.

I'm really hoping we stay above the meltdown point downtown as I am really not ready to see my banana grove sizzle yet! Also haven't moved my big (10') triple Adonidia inside yet, it's under canopy and I'm hoping we can keep above the lethal point because it's 70s and smooth sailing for the next 10 days according to the forecasts. At least there's no frost forecast since the dewpoint at dawn is set at 28 or so. It's about five degrees warmer right near the Gulf (e.g., Lake Charles, Lafayette) right now, but there are freeze warnings for the whole I-10 corridor and all points north tonight, from Texas to Alabama. This front has a LOT of intense cold behind it!

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

You are right on target.  Our temp here in Iberia Parish, just south of Lafayette, is 49 degrees at 7:21pm.  Forecast is still for 34 tonight, but freeze warning is out for Lafayette.   I have all of the tender young stuff in pots picked up, but everything else will be fine.

-k

Still drrrryyyyyyyyy here.

(Ray, Tampa @ Dec. 04 2007,06:44)

Still drrrryyyyyyyyy here.

Do you want something from me? :D

Robbin

Southwest

I cannot complain about the Palm Beach area.Cold(?)Front has moved through and Weather Underground says highs in mid to upper 70's with lows upper 50's to lower 60's through Saturday before we head back up to the 80's.At 8:00AM 71F.and people already at the beach.That mid 80F.stuff at this time of year is too hot.

What you look for is what is looking

IT IS OFFICIAL.  First freeze of the season here in So. Louisiana.  Mercury bottomed out at 31.8 degrees with a moderate frost in the open areas.  

Let the winter meltdown (bananas, gingers, aroids, and such)  and the deciduous leaf falling begin.

Upper-level cirrus moved in and slowed the drop in temps. I got down to 32.4 here (28.4 at the airport in the countryside). It was cold and moist enough for frost formation on rooftops, cars, and on some uppermost banana leaves in exposed areas and stretches of lawn in adjacent properties. I'll go out and assess the damage shortly, but assume it will be a bruising event at the very least. The whole region froze more or less, even cities very close to the Gulf like Port Arthur, TX and Lake Charles, LA registered 32F. All the way to the Panhandle of Florida there were many stations registering freezing temps this morning. Only New Orleans stayed well above freezing (as usual!).

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Rick called me on his way to work, 7:30AM Eastern time zone, 4:30AM Pacific. I don't think the concept of time zones has sunk in with Rickey yet. Anyway he reported his low this morning in Ft. Lauderdale was 60F.  Oh Wow!  That will probably be my high temp. for the day.......if I'm lucky.

I'm getting the brush off from this weather moving through with only a mist, not real rain. I don't understand how the Pacific NW has been socked hard with rain and wind, then move over the Bay Area with nothing, then hit S. Calif. with torrential rain. I feel cheated.

Dick

Richard Douglas

(PalmGuyWC @ Dec. 04 2007,08:53)

Rick called me on his way to work, 7:30AM Eastern time zone, 4:30AM Pacific. I don't think the concept of time zones has sunk in with Rickey yet. Anyway he reported his low this morning in Ft. Lauderdale was 60F.  Oh Wow!  That will probably be my high temp. for the day.......if I'm lucky.

Dick-

I think he might have meant 70F for the low in Fort Lauderdale (as thats what the airport reported this AM).  

It was much colder up this way as my yard dropped to 49F!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Rick, You got some kind of cold dome thing going on down there in Liquordale?

No frontal passage in so Fla yet.  Tonight will be cooler there too.  This one is supposed to clear the entire state.

Hey Thibodeaux! (I just love that)

I had you by 10 degrees last night but we did have frost on the pumpkin this morning!

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

I'm getting the brush off from this weather moving through with only a mist, not real rain. I don't understand how the Pacific NW has been socked hard with rain and wind, then move over the Bay Area with nothing, then hit S. Calif. with torrential rain. I feel cheated.

Dick

I believe the low Southern California had came from the south not from the north. It looks like we will have our share later this week. I hope.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

(Palmy @ Dec. 04 2007,18:16)

Dick

I believe the low Southern California had came from the south not from the north. It looks like we will have our share later this week. I hope.

Actually the low-pressure system that provided abundant rainfall for SoCal [esp San Diego co] originated in the north Pacific.  It dumped its moisture in the PacNW then moved inland over Nevada/Arizona and back out to sea west of Baja.  It then sat for days in the much warmer waters before moving into SoCal.

What happens on occasion is that storms move down the Pacific coast from Canada into Mexico but lose much of their precipitation [since cold air holds less water] & then wash out by the time they reach SoCal.  But if the storm taps into the subtropical jet stream it then strengthens once again & can produce copious amounts of rainfall for SoCal.  In-fact, most the heavy rainfall that hits SoCal has a tropical connection.

BTW Dick it was 83F in Los Angeles today

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

front moved through yesterday, low of 35.1 this morning. bananas still gowing strong (no frost)

although tonight is going to give me a run for my money. currentyl 42.2 degrees with a dewpoint at 35

forcast low of 34....then they recently changed it at 9pm with hard freeze warning and a low of 25-28 now....

well see how my experimental  D. lutescens comes through I guess

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Got down to 50.0F on the morning of the 4th, a little colder than forcast for my area. Currently 51.8F at approx. 115 this morning (the 5th). Likely will see low to mid 40s before the sun comes up. Tis that time of year... I hate winter.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Last night was very wet and windy, but ideal for the palms, as the temperature didn't drop below 13°C/55°F, which is the warmest for at least two months I would think and higher than most daytime highs this time of year.  The maximum temperature forecast for today, for example, is 12°C/54°F and that's one of our warmer days.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

News station had a map up reporting 58 degrees here in St. Pete at 6:55am. They report St. pete temps from the airport. I walked outside and both my thermometers read 46. The nearest weather station is still reporting a cold 48.4, while the airport is reading 59! A difference of about 2 miles in those reports. Something is not right. i think the airport has their instruments mounted on some roof.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Junglegal-

Same temp up here (47F for the low).

The St. Pete temps that are reported are almost always at Albert Whitted AP (which is near downtown and sits right on the water).  Thats why they are always so warm compared to everywhere else.  There can easily be 10-12F differential in 2 miles.  And, as you drive around the downtown area, Im sure youve noticed how much older and larger all the tender palms and plants are than just a few miles away.  

The same thing happens up my way.  Last night before I went to bed the USF stations on the Gulf in Tarpon Springs as well as the one on the Gulf near the Anclote River were both reporting 63F, while my station (less than 1.5 miles from the Gulf as the crow flies) was sitting at 50F!

Larry 

Well considering most of the population does not live downtown, I think it would be wise to report from a different location, like my house  :P

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

It was 61F. on my car thermometer around 8:00AM this morning.High to be around 77F.This is California Dreamin for us and it is nice not to be sweating everytime you go outside.

MacDill AFB read 45F this morning.  They need to stop wrapping the thermometer with ice down there.  TIA never dipped below 50F.

Miami's airport was in the 50's this morning.

Lows summary for this AM----

Jacksonville - 33F

Gainesville - 34F

Orlando - 51F

Tampa - 50F

St. Pete - 55F

West Palm Beach - 52F

Ft Lauderdale - 57F

Miami - 59F

Key West - 62F

Larry 

It is NOT one state.

48.7F here this morning. I thought it was going to get a little cooler as it was perfectly clear and there was not one bit of wind.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

45. f in Citrus Park this morning.

Scott   :cool:   Citrus Park FL. N.W Tampa   www.aroundmyhouse.com                                                                                                      

Jimbeam,I am having some difficulty understanding your map.Specifically, I know our surf temp. at Palm Beach Inlet is 77F.What does your map depict air temp. or water temp.?

A relatively cold north Pacific storm is poised to slam into California beginning tomorrow.  We most certainly need the rain but temps will take a dive from the 80's downward fast.  Because of the moisture night temps look OK but once the system moves east there could be some cold nights in wind-protected areas.

Here's this morning's discussion on temps:

NWS-LA 12-5-07 9:15h

WITH ALL THE COLD AIR AND CLOUD COVER TEMPERATURES WILL BE MANY

DEGREES BELOW NORMALS. COASTAL AND VALLEY TEMPS WILL STRUGGLE TO

REACH 65 THURSDAY AND WILL BE HARD PRESSED TO EVEN REACH 60 FRI AND SAT.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW