• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Funny palm info graphic. wow, very creative...

Patrick

I came across this the other day. It gave me a good chuckle. I bet someone amongst us could probably pinpoint who's garden this is as well. Those almost look like Hawaiian Ohias in the background. Enjoy!:floor:

0256c3c60b.jpg.33085eb679ee504cfb3b01c0649bbfa4.jpg

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

The photo is lifted from Palmpedia and yes, I recognize the garden.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

To suggest that this palm (a Socratea, or two of them actually) can walk ANYWHERE is of course absolutely ridiculous. Once you plant it, like ANY OTHER PALM, it will stay RIGHT THERE! Guaranteed! 😀

Also, to use and post photos taken by someone else without giving proper credit strikes me as clueless and inconsiderate. I took this photo in January 2011 in a garden here in Leilani Estates, Big Island. Here is the original, showing a bit more of the crowns. The garden has since been sold and since it is under new ownership, no need to give out any names.

Bo-Göran

2011-01-23 067.JPG

• Like 3

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I did a search, and this, along with other photos of other familiar gardens with stilt root palms, is all over the internet. Hopeless!

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

"Hopeless", I'm afraid you're right! 🙂

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Nice to see you posting, Bo,   :winkie:

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

I heard on The Weather Channel this particular palm had been slowly walking from Florida north, due to climate change, and had already arrived in Alaska, where it will soon be naturalized.  I ran out and bought a Tesla immediately.  Are you telling me that this is not the case?  

95986126-A4D1-4963-A3AC-4A64DDF942A6.webp

• Like 3

23 hours ago, bgl said:

To suggest that this palm (a Socratea, or two of them actually) can walk ANYWHERE is of course absolutely ridiculous. Once you plant it, like ANY OTHER PALM, it will stay RIGHT THERE! Guaranteed! 😀

Also, to use and post photos taken by someone else without giving proper credit strikes me as clueless and inconsiderate. I took this photo in January 2011 in a garden here in Leilani Estates, Big Island. Here is the original, showing a bit more of the crowns. The garden has since been sold and since it is under new ownership, no need to give out any names.

Bo-Göran

2011-01-23 067.JPG

I should have specified better in that I came across this somewhere on the internet. I did not come up with this myself and out of the sheer absurdity I simply downloaded it and reposted it here for everyone to roll their eyes at. I apologize if my lack of clarity may have have made it seem if it was something I came up with. I don't THINK that's the way it was perceived, Bo, but I just thought I would clarify, just in case. 

True that, no credits.... HOW RUDE!

• Like 2

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

No worries, Patrick, I think it was pretty clear you just stumbled across it and laughed and shared it. 

And although I wouldn't want someone to misuse a photo of mine to spread ridiculous misinformation, I'm not sure I'd want to be credited in that instance either! 🤣

• Like 2

Kim Cyr

3 hours ago, Patrick said:

I should have specified better in that I came across this somewhere on the internet. I did not come up with this myself and out of the sheer absurdity I simply downloaded it and reposted it here for everyone to roll their eyes at. I apologize if my lack of clarity may have have made it seem if it was something I came up with. I don't THINK that's the way it was perceived, Bo, but I just thought I would clarify, just in case. 

True that, no credits.... HOW RUDE!

• Like 1

Patrick, oh I did realize that you had nothing to do with the initial post (elsewhere), and I certainly didn't mean to suggest that.

Glad we got that cleared up! :)