• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

jubaea x butia

Gville Palms

I’ve known about these palms in my area for a very long time but just felt like posting a picture of them today while I’m on a walk. Such incredible palms which have definitely seen some very cold temperatures over the years. Only if these were easy to come by! 
IMG_3896.thumb.jpeg.378e53810cc735d9fd608ded1c13195a.jpegIMG_3897.thumb.jpeg.54e5b24baf702042dbc02308f5e438a6.jpeg

Here are also some pics of a mystery palm (it is unlabeled). Looks like a mule but I’m no expert at identifying these hybrids. Regardless, it is a beauty. IMG_3899.thumb.jpeg.e8820312ffa967e687601c38f8fbc6b9.jpegIMG_3900.thumb.jpeg.dc773710c9af12b8b42660a0f0c52402.jpeg

• Like 8

Very cool.

Where is this? Kanapaha?

They are awesome. You're right though, it would be great if they were more readily available. Given the process involved with crossing them and growing them to size for sale though, I am not surprised that they aren't as easy to get as some other palms.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, floridaPalmMan said:

Very cool.

Where is this? Kanapaha?

Yes, the Jubaea x Butia palms are over in the main palm Garden along the walkway but the mule looking palm is way over on the NW side of the property. Took me multiple years to even notice it because it is in such an obscure location - right next to private property. I marked it for you in case you’re there and want to see it. IMG_3907.thumb.jpeg.60fb1462f079da8a88cff80d7adb31dd.jpegIMG_3908.thumb.jpeg.b5fe5f97a82bcef7e5cf1bc5458eb4a5.jpeg

• Like 2

Beautiful trees!  Being in Gainsville it makes me wonder if those are some of Merrill Wilcox' trees.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scott W said:

Beautiful trees!  Being in Gainsville it makes me wonder if those are some of Merrill Wilcox' trees.

I think you’re probably right. I have heard he was very involved with the part of the garden where the Jubaea x Butia palms are. 

• Like 1

Between the green leaves and fairly slim trunks they all look like mules or possibly ‘Jubutyagrus’ IMHO.  Most Jubaea x Butia are heavier trunked even if F2 or F3 generation.  F1s can also vary but here’s an extra thick specimen growing in FL:

IMG_2840.jpeg

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, swolf said:

Between the green leaves and fairly slim trunks they all look like mules or possibly ‘Jubutyagrus’ IMHO.  Most Jubaea x Butia are heavier trunked even if F2 or F3 generation.  F1s can also vary but here’s an extra thick specimen growing in FL:

IMG_2840.jpeg

I am by no means going to pretend to know the difference or what to look for, because I don’t. Visually though, the first two palms don’t look like any mule I have seen. They are also labeled with a description which of course could be wrong but seems somewhat unlikely to me. Here is an understory picture I took earlier but didn’t include in the original post. Maybe it will be helpful. I will talk to the director the next time I am there and see if I can find out any more info. IMG_3898.thumb.jpeg.383ec2a5c830522f3494d0a071782620.jpeg

• Like 4

This conversation has led me down quite an unexpected rabbit hole. @swolf I found this thread below that you were part of back in 2008. I know Merrill is no longer with us but I have to imagine that someone from this group knows a thing or two about the specific palms I posted pictures of. Tank seems like a good person to ask but it appears it’s been about six months since he was last on.

Beyond that, this thread has a really impressive list of unique palms that have taken 10 degrees. I’m sure some people would enjoy reading it. 

• Like 3

Amazing palms! Definitely worth a try in some colder areas. Does anybody happen to know where to get seeds? 

@Gville Palms I was fortunate enough to visit Merrill's but only after his passing.  The trees he had growing were truly a sight to see.  While there we worked to help his son clean up some of the areas and in return I was give several of Merrill's hybrid cycas and a mule.  A few years back I was also given one of Merrill's F3 Jubutia as well.  I had heard his wife sold the place, and if so hopefully the new owners are enjoying the palms.

@Will most hybridizers dont sell their seed but they do sell the plants.  If you're looking for mules I do have some 2 year old plants available 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scott W said:

@Gville Palms I was fortunate enough to visit Merrill's but only after his passing.  The trees he had growing were truly a sight to see.  While there we worked to help his son clean up some of the areas and in return I was give several of Merrill's hybrid cycas and a mule.  A few years back I was also given one of Merrill's F3 Jubutia as well.  I had heard his wife sold the place, and if so hopefully the new owners are enjoying the palms.

@Will most hybridizers dont sell their seed but they do sell the plants.  If you're looking for mules I do have some 2 year old plants available 

That’s really neat that you were able to get some of his trees. I’m sure he’d be happy to know someone is taking great care of them. His house address is not far from my work (which makes sense because he worked where I do now) so next week I will drive by as least creepily as I can and see how the palms look from the road. If I can do it without weirding anyone out, I’ll take a couple pictures. 

@WillI got two of Scott’s mules. I’d highly recommend! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Scott W said:

Would definitely be interested. Only problem is that I am in Europe 🥲

I saw one of these in Phoenix! Sadly it seemed it was not doing well and was in the middle of a field. I do not see it anymore so it’s likely they took it down or the nursery takes it because they do that sometimes and then they resell them cheap.

On 4/18/2024 at 1:43 PM, Gville Palms said:

This conversation has led me down quite an unexpected rabbit hole. @swolf I found this thread below that you were part of back in 2008. I know Merrill is no longer with us but I have to imagine that someone from this group knows a thing or two about the specific palms I posted pictures of. Tank seems like a good person to ask but it appears it’s been about six months since he was last on.

Beyond that, this thread has a really impressive list of unique palms that have taken 10 degrees. I’m sure some people would enjoy reading it. 

When I open the thread, none of the pictures come up. They look like broken links. But, I can see two photos on the preview. Is anyone else having the same issue? I think this thread is probably valuable for learning and as a tribute to Mr. Wilcox's legacy.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

I drove by Merrill’s old house today and all I have to say is WOW! there’s absolutely no question that the palms at the gardens came from him. IMG_4004.thumb.jpeg.2163d26ad9d48fe172db1b3122f89a72.jpegIMG_4007.thumb.jpeg.2df003dbdfdfebd78a30d06117df0a99.jpegIMG_4006.thumb.jpeg.9ac43e66dc43ca179834646a11306f98.jpegIMG_4008.thumb.jpeg.60ee36eb7b4de294a0fd8bbc3fd00250.jpegIMG_4005.thumb.jpeg.57074cb00119e0b62d73e5e14ead10da.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2024 at 6:16 PM, swolf said:

IMG_2840.jpeg

@Scott W

I finally got back to this palm and wanted to get your thoughts. I have put a picture of the trunk below to show that it actually is quite large. Not as large as the one @swolf shared a picture of but still quite big. Additionally, it seems to be producing seeds which I have posted pictures of below. I don’t know enough about what mule palm seeds look like. I know they are sterile but are these what a non fertilized mule seed would look like?  Or more along the lines of what a jubaea crossed with Butia/queen would look like? 
IMG_4291.thumb.jpeg.1cc3c9db78bb946a8abb377757c4d281.jpeg
IMG_4293.thumb.jpeg.0647ab64f0e5d3e4521b45f890a5265a.jpegIMG_4294.thumb.jpeg.1a54c46c24905146835c672709292c1a.jpegIMG_4295.thumb.jpeg.f3943c4f879d2b9d6bd84d88df378af0.jpeg

• Upvote 1