• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

To fertlize or to not fertilize?

ChicagoPalma

My not fully established palm is not looking the best and it looks like just some nutrient deficiency. and it has sorta spread onto one of the more spear-centered fronds. Anyways just wondering what fertilizer and when to fertilize. Our temps for highs will be lukewarm now, so highs and low 60s most to everyday for highs and a couple 50s.

Please share updated pictures 🙂

Zone 6b maritime climate

Here are some photos, you can see a magnesium deficiency clearly, I just hate this warm weather because it wakes up the palm and it also comes with wind days shredding and partially collapsing some of the frond leaflets and also the palm, it can’t take up nutrients because the soil is still too cold? Is there a way to warm up the soil like putting c9 lights in the ground or pouring warm water down the soil or is there some way to induce it back to dormancy? @Allen any wisdom since again you’ve been growing trachies for a long time?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A little update today: I couldn’t wait to see what will be sprouting up so I went and checked out everything. bad news, elephant ears were mush and could only save whatever that had life. good news, I dug straight into a canna lily shoot when I was checking the cannas that I planted deep. Here is a photo of something that was still solid.

image.jpg

37 minutes ago, ChicagoPalma said:

Here are some photos, you can see a magnesium deficiency clearly, I just hate this warm weather because it wakes up the palm and it also comes with wind days shredding and partially collapsing some of the frond leaflets and also the palm, it can’t take up nutrients because the soil is still too cold? Is there a way to warm up the soil like putting c9 lights in the ground or pouring warm water down the soil or is there some way to induce it back to dormancy? @Allen any wisdom since again you’ve been growing trachies for a long time?

73404257946__CF9DEA32-3352-40A1-A354-378A3534EDE7.MOV

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Current soil temps in your area are around 49 degrees. I think patience and general care are the way to go. Fertilizer might be pushing on a string.. 

Zone 6b maritime climate

Elephant ears main bulb can rot and still come up from little side bulbs.  Mine look like that all the time and still come back so don't give up yet.  Fertilize when soil temps hit 65F with palmgain or osmocote plus outdoor/indoor.  Osmocote claims to release fertilizer around 70F.  My youtube has fertilizing info if you search it.

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F