IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal minor "taliaferro"

N8ALLRIGHT

Anyone growing these? The late night eBay impulse forced me to purchase this. It's a minor from a similar latitude as mcurtain, Cherokee and warren so should hold good cold resistance. But the real draw is it's supposedly very blue. The problem is that there isn't much info or pictures available. I've received the seeds,they look like sabals,so let's see if they turn into nice blue palms. I paid at least double what I should for minor seeds, but if the seeds are legit it's worth it. I pmd @Bigfish he confirmed that they exist and were indeed very blue. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't chasing a Sabal "Fargo" or some other made up plant . Only pics I have are from the listing, hopefully these are winners🤞

Screenshot_20240204-214105.png

Screenshot_20240204-214135.png

• Like 6

Never heard of that cultivar. Nice color.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

13 hours ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

Anyone growing these? The late night eBay impulse forced me to purchase this. It's a minor from a similar latitude as mcurtain, Cherokee and warren so should hold good cold resistance. But the real draw is it's supposedly very blue. The problem is that there isn't much info or pictures available. I've received the seeds,they look like sabals,so let's see if they turn into nice blue palms. I paid at least double what I should for minor seeds, but if the seeds are legit it's worth it. I pmd @Bigfish he confirmed that they exist and were indeed very blue. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't chasing a Sabal "Fargo" or some other made up plant . Only pics I have are from the listing, hopefully these are winners🤞

Screenshot_20240204-214105.png

Screenshot_20240204-214135.png

I bought those same seeds and asked about them elsewhere. They were originally collected by Tom Mclendon, who said they show blue but never claimed they were the “most blue”. That claim is being made by the eBay seller. It took over a month but I finally had one germinate. Here is an untouched habitat picture from Tom.IMG_9672.jpeg.6d7053c12bd7bca0bb2609f0390933e8.jpeg

• Like 5

That habitat photo is nice, I have to think they might be a little bluer in full sun.I'm not expecting mini bizzies, but similar to the picture from the ad would be nice. Hopefully more of the seeds will poke up. I hope the same for mine 

11 hours ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

That habitat photo is nice, I have to think they might be a little bluer in full sun.I'm not expecting mini bizzies, but similar to the picture from the ad would be nice. Hopefully more of the seeds will poke up. I hope the same for mine 

Sabal minor are usually bluer in shade. Soil type and temperature may factor in, but I trust his picture over an eBay ad. 

• Like 1