• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cnolf

I have recently received 100x alfitrons and 100x magnifica seeds. I noticed some of the outter layer shells have been cracked so I peeled them as far back as it would allow. My question is if these seeds are okay and will still grow. This is my first time with these seeds I am going to soak then 2-3 days in water with a little hydrogen peroxide changing water daily then germinate in spaghnum untill it presents its radicle and carefully put in a tall pot. If anyone has any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated thanks everyone

1F9C74C6-890D-4EE8-805E-80D98CDD565C.jpeg

2E75C76D-AFC1-469D-B4C2-79C8A60686DB.jpeg

AAA738B8-18C6-4FB9-976E-A6974023CABF.jpeg

D72D6AE9-C242-46D5-92E1-B989756645F4.jpeg

Edited by Cnolf
Text edit
  • Like 1

I also added a small amount of hydrogen peroxide to the water bath they’re in 👍

Yes they certainly will grow I germinated 2000 of them so from my experience they germinate good luck tip for growing them place them in a hothouse with shade cloth over the top 70 percent and keep the water up to them back the water of in winter 

IMG_7462.jpeg

IMG_9779.jpeg

IMG_1918.jpeg

IMG_1729.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Amazing set up that’s ALOT of joeys , in your experience do you find directly sowing them in soil instead of spaghnum method is better? Also is there a specific position to place them once you put them in the soil? Thanks a lot 

2 hours ago, Cnolf said:

Amazing set up that’s ALOT of joeys , in your experience do you find directly sowing them in soil instead of spaghnum method is better? Also is there a specific position to place them once you put them in the soil? Thanks a lot 

Yes it’s a lot iam currently germinating 1000 Kerriodoxa elegans best sow them directly in the medium you’re using then tease them out one by one as the leaf appears with a large bbq fork or directly into deep individual tubes ten inch community pot works well I used coco coir perlite mix just slightly wet bottom heating 30 degrees Celsius place your seed with the round side up there is a little flat spot with a indent face down I also have 200 magnifica joey seeds in customs awaiting clearance most likely from the same supplier happy gardening here’s the other photos of the other half of the joeys i germinated 

IMG_3162.jpeg

IMG_9288.jpeg

IMG_9330.jpeg

IMG_8726.jpeg

IMG_8727.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cnolf said:

Amazing , very helpful thank you

Also don’t let your joeys touch the ground bench’s or air prune technique (see photos of the trays I used) tell a Joey your potting them up and they die be very careful of the roots out of two thousand joeys I broke two tap roots they both died 

I only soaked the cracked seeds for 18-24hrs because they’re not protected by the hard shell I have them indoors till the cold goes with a humidifier on them and a heat Matt at 88f  the window will also provide light indirect light 

9231BA9A-663A-4E43-8A5D-F57D5011CA0B.jpeg

• Like 1