• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal

John2468

21 minutes ago, John2468 said:

Can Sabals stay in a pot indefinitely, if not, how long it stay in a pot before it becomes a problem? 

I'm sure it's possible to keep Sabals in pots but in my experience they don't like being in pots.  They prefer to be in the ground with lots of sun and water.  I had a community pot of 5-7 Sabal guatemalensis in a container for 6 years and only 2 survived.  Those two were still strap-leaf seedlings about 6" in height after 6 years!  Within 18 months in the ground they not only went palmate but gained about 3' in height.  Keeping them in a pot really slowed down their growth.  Now I plant out my Sabal seedlings only 1-2 years after germination.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

18 hours ago, John2468 said:

Can Sabals stay in a pot indefinitely, if not, how long it stay in a pot before it becomes a problem? 

In my experience, it makes the already-slow growth rate even slower. I have a Palmetto seedling in a one-gallon pot, grew it from seed late last year; as of right now, it's first strap leaf is ~4 inches tall, with a second strap leaf just now starting to emerge.

In the ground is the best thing for any Sabal.

Happy Thanksgiving!
11-23-2023

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Emerald Isle, North Carolina

USDA Zone 8B/9A - Humid Subtropical (CFA)

10 hours ago, John2468 said:

Thanks for the reply, are there any other palms that can live in a pot indefinitely aside from Hyophorbes? Thanks!!

Yup.  All of these 👍🏻

64167524-CA27-4B68-B709-9DE009FD8A82.jpeg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MrTropical said:

In my experience, it makes the already-slow growth rate even slower. I have a Palmetto seedling in a one-gallon pot, grew it from seed late last year; as of right now, it's first strap leaf is ~4 inches tall, with a second strap leaf just now starting to emerge.

In the ground is the best thing for any Sabal.

Happy Thanksgiving!
11-23-2023

Once it goes palmate and stops putting out straps, it takes off, in a pot or not.  👍🏻🥰

here is my 25 gallon Minor inside 10 months a year.  Spear push is clocked at an inch a week ❤️

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Here are a few of my larger ones. The uresana I've grown from seed I collected at the University of Arizona in 2011.

20230731_165159.jpg.494238c0eb948046f79b6693c1b883d9.jpg

• Like 4

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

In general, Sabals prefer ground to pots. That said, I've seen photos of uber dwarf Sabal minors (Blountstown, Chipola, Wakulla etc.) grown to seeding size in pots. They stay small enough that confines of a pot do not damage their saxophone roots.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Any palm can be pot bound for life , will they look there best not a chance. I have many palms that are destined for life in a pot. Eventually they will out grow said pot or its space. In the pic I have a Royal that has outgrown its pot , Sabal Uresana that will be going in the ground this spring. Attalea that can be in its pot another year then moved up in pot. 2nd pic is a C.Lutescens is a great palm for pot life. 

T J 

20231105_124201.jpg

20231105_124102.jpg

• Like 4

T J 

• 3 weeks later...