• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Good mix for Trachycarpus?

Palmfarmer

Looking for some suggestions for some "Permanent" blend I can make for my trachies. 

I have acess to the following materials:

Biochar

Pumice

Vermiculite

Perlite

Coco Coir 

Compost

Real soil (loam) 

Bark chips 

Lava rock

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2023 at 10:13 AM, Palmfarmer said:

Looking for some suggestions for some "Permanent" blend I can make for my trachies. 

I have acess to the following materials:

Biochar

Pumice

Vermiculite

Perlite

Coco Coir 

Compost

Real soil (loam) 

Bark chips 

Lava rock

I find an almost succulent mix with perlite is a good draining mix for palms with a bit of coco peat mixed in 

I've only been doing this for a few years, so I don't claim to be an expert.  But Trachycarpus seem to do best in nutrient rich soil that is rich in organic content with high moisture retention.  They tend to do well in larger containers than most palms, so that they have more room to stretch out their roots, and they seem to prefer wet soil over dry.  I would save all the porous, geological additives for the pickier palms.  Trachycarpus normally do fine with cheap potting soil, in my experience. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jesse PNW said:

I've only been doing this for a few years, so I don't claim to be an expert.  But Trachycarpus seem to do best in nutrient rich soil that is rich in organic content with high moisture retention.  They tend to do well in larger containers than most palms, so that they have more room to stretch out their roots, and they seem to prefer wet soil over dry.  I would save all the porous, geological additives for the pickier palms.  Trachycarpus normally do fine with cheap potting soil, in my experience. 

in agreement.  I like to mix in larger perlite or pumice to make it last longer on bigger palms.  This palm grew about 1.5 foot of trunk in the pot in a year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG3GBPpFFc4

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

5 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

I just got inspired by the channel called Swedish Plantguys that grew a Trachy in pumice coated with clay. They used a water resorvoir at the bottom of the pot. 

According to them root growth in Pumice is 4 times as fast as other mediums. Then again that could be just advertisement for Pumice. 

Currently my trachies (think they are nanital) in 3 different mixes. 2 with 1 part compost 1 part coco coir and 1/5 part fine perlite. The last one grows in black gold type soil and woodchips arounf 30-50%. The latter has grown the best. 

I have some new pots ready now that is roughly twice the height of the ones they are currently are in. 

In those I wil pot them up with 2 parts peat moss 1 part Pumice and 1 Part Perlite. This is what Gary from laguna Hills Nursery calls Acid Mix. Usually ment for berries and other acid and water loving plants. 

5 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Have you tried growing washingtonias in a stone mix? Should be ideal in your climate. They can be a little tricky in pots I find though. 

• 4 weeks later...

In the ground these need clay based soil. In pots, the best is 100% Seramis (clay gravel). All my trachys do great in this.