• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Burretiokentia with branching inflorescence

Tracy

I have always wondered about a Burretiokentia I have that has a branched inflorescence and have posted questions about it in the past.  I was recently thinking about how my friend Tim solved his mystery on a Vonitra species by researching the branching of the different species to get a match for his specimen.  I don't have a book on New Caledonia palms to reference.  I won't bias opinions on this one by showing foliage or discussing which species it was labeled as when purchased.  I'll just show the inflorescence and see if anyone has the same with branched inflorescence about 2/3's the way down.  If you do have a match, share a photo and which species it is.

Alternatively, if you have any resources you can reference that indicate which species of Burretiokentia have a branching inflorescence please share that information.

20230901-BH3I2496.jpg

20230901-BH3I2497.jpg

20230901-BH3I2498.jpg

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Tracy, you dont need any of that. The only Burretiokentia with that woolly tomentum on the flower is Hapala. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

3 minutes ago, LJG said:

Tracy, you dont need any of that. The only Burretiokentia with that woolly tomentum on the flower is Hapala. 

Len have you seen other Burretiokentia hapala with branched inflorescence or is this an unusual feature?

52 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Len have you seen other Burretiokentia hapala with branched inflorescence or is this an unusual feature?

Have a look on endemia.nc you will see others in the genus that are branched yes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KrisKupsch said:

Have a look on endemia.nc you will see others in the genus that are branched yes. 

Interesting link, merci.  While I did see some branching on some of the other species within the Burretiokentia genus, it was very different in structure, not like this one I am growing which branches more just at the tips. All the photos for Burretiokentia hapala branching were showing a branching from the base, very close to where the attachment point is for the inflorescence.  Mine branches off near the base too, but then has the secondary branching, in mostly pairs and triplets further toward the tips.

On a side note, I didn't realize there were as many varieties of Chambeyronia macrocarpa as were identified on this website.  That was an added bonus of checking out the website for New Caledonia endemic plants.  I have bookmarked it so I can go back.  Je veux en savoir plus.

• Like 2