• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help

Ltapia

So long story short I watered usually everyday I went on a week vacation had someone water twice that week when I got back my palms were yellow any help would be appreciated they went from green and healthy to yellow and shrunken.temps have gotten a little cooler with some rain while I was gone too .

IMG_5764.jpeg

IMG_5749.jpeg

IMG_5748.jpeg

IMG_5898.jpeg

IMG_5901.jpeg

IMG_5900.jpeg

First, gently drain off all the standing water IMMEDIATELY and put them in a sunny place for a few days to dry out a bit, then once the soil is dry enough, continue on with your normal watering schedule with whatever frequency you were watering previously to keep them looking a healthy green.

Edited by Dwarf Fan
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dwarf Fan said:

First, gently drain off all the standing water IMMEDIATELY and put them in a sunny place for a few days to dry out a bit, then once the soil is dry enough, continue on with your normal watering schedule with whatever frequency you were watering previously to keep them looking a healthy green.

OK do you think from me watering them frequent pretty much every day to them getting water twice that week change them?thanks!

There was no rain. Not meaningful, anyways. That is drought damage. Desert palm is a misnomer.  

Water normally to save what is left, prevent more dieback. 

Define cooler....Screenshot_20230824-123633.thumb.png.be280ca338850f36d002f8af426507a3.png

21 minutes ago, jwitt said:

There was no rain. Not meaningful, anyways. That is drought damage. Desert palm is a misnomer.  

Water normally to save what is left, prevent more dieback. 

Define cooler....Screenshot_20230824-123633.thumb.png.be280ca338850f36d002f8af426507a3.png

Ok so should I go back to watering daily like I was before ?

I'm thinking that your friend didn't water those 2 times he said he did ?  I could be wrong , but I would just water well and then let the pots get slightly dry and water again . 

Will

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ltapia said:

Ok so should I go back to watering daily like I was before ?

Yes. Keep em moist and in the sun.

Some of your leaves are going to die and/or die back,  so you will end up with a less vigorous palm until leaf mass is replaced.  

Your friend could have watered twice in a week,  they can dry out that fast.

In a pot.

In our climate.

• Like 1

Thanks guys turns out when I watched the camera footage of my backyard she sprinkled them with water each time 😒 so they didn’t get watered as regular I cut all the dead off and gave them a good soak hopefully they bounce back .

• Upvote 1

That really sux!  

I would not cut of any leaf(s) until they are brown and actually dry(brittle).  It's ugly, but I believe it is this species defense to shock. Those nutrients will be "sucked" back into the plant.

• Like 1

Pots don't take on sufficient water in a rainstorm. If those were outside all day in average 100°F afternoons, there's the problem. When you watered daily, it prevented the root zone from overheating. Hindsight is 20/20. Next time you go away for a week, put them in the the house with A/C. At least in the shade outside so those pots don't cook.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SeanK said:

Pots don't take on sufficient water in a rainstorm. If those were outside all day in average 100°F afternoons, there's the problem. When you watered daily, it prevented the root zone from overheating. Hindsight is 20/20. Next time you go away for a week, put them in the the house with A/C. At least in the shade outside so those pots don't cook.

This is true sorry OP I didn’t notice you were in 100°F temps definitely water daily so you don’t let those potted Palms dry out and heat up in temps that high, sorry I did not check weather in your area before I posted my advice.

• Like 1

I’ve found it best to hand water with a gallon watering can…including the larger palms around the base of their trunks. If the soil is worked really well, loose and mulched, it will take each gallon in like a sponge. Even sprinklers take a long time to get a beneficial amount of water into the soil, especially when runoff kicks in…so for the potted palms, always use a watering can and there won’t be any doubts. The practice of moving things into the shade for a week away is also a good idea. I have a few bonsai, but an expert would say I have a few “potted shrubs”…two of them have been in various minuscule pots and gritty soil for over 30 years and they’ve never dried out…which is a death sentence for them…but shade and watering help with a watering can while I’m away has kept them alive. Hope your palms pull through.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 6:59 PM, jwitt said:

That really sux!  

I would not cut of any leaf(s) until they are brown and actually dry(brittle).  It's ugly, but I believe it is this species defense to shock. Those nutrients will be "sucked" back into the plant.

Crap I cut most of the dead off and really yellowed ones .

4 hours ago, GregVirginia7 said:

I’ve found it best to hand water with a gallon watering can…including the larger palms around the base of their trunks. If the soil is worked really well, loose and mulched, it will take each gallon in like a sponge. Even sprinklers take a long time to get a beneficial amount of water into the soil, especially when runoff kicks in…so for the potted palms, always use a watering can and there won’t be any doubts. The practice of moving things into the shade for a week away is also a good idea. I have a few bonsai, but an expert would say I have a few “potted shrubs”…two of them have been in various minuscule pots and gritty soil for over 30 years and they’ve never dried out…which is a death sentence for them…but shade and watering help with a watering can while I’m away has kept them alive. Hope your palms pull through.

Thanks for the info I think they will be ok I will post more pics!