• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Thank you PT!

JLM

I joined this forum when i was in 8th grade, i was literally still in middle school. Ive been fairly active every year since and have learned A LOT about palms, and plants in general. Now im coming into my senior year of high school, and its time to think about what i want to do in life. It is looking very likely that i will be going into a plant science program through UF. Seriously, if it hadnt been for this forum i wouldnt be in this position right now, and i want to thank everybody who has contributed to this. There are many different fields that i can go into with a degree in this subject, and i will let yall know what happens whenever that time comes. It is very unlikely that i will stop being active here, as i have so many palms and various plants (this plant addiction has gone INSANE lol), ill definitely be posting about them from time to time and asking questions where needed.

Jumping back to when i first joined the forum, i was struggling at the time. I was going to be going into high school next year and thats stressful enough as it is, but there was a much bigger thing. My Grandmother had passed away in October of that year and i was struggling quite a lot from that. Getting into palms and such definitely helped me in regards to that. I think still to this day the reason why i continue to pile more plants onto my collection is not only from catching the palm bug, but its also because it makes me feel better. I guess plants make me not think about it as much and therefore im happier as a result? Im not sure but it has definitely helped. I should also note that she was a plant person, just to a lesser degree, so maybe i got it from her in a way. In any case, it doesnt feel like its been almost 4 years, even though it has. Palms is my coping mechanism, and i know there are plenty here on this forum who can relate.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 2 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 3 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 8 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa, 1 S. bermudana, 1 L. nitida

On 7/25/2023 at 3:04 PM, JLM said:

I joined this forum when i was in 8th grade, i was literally still in middle school. Ive been fairly active every year since and have learned A LOT about palms, and plants in general. Now im coming into my senior year of high school, and its time to think about what i want to do in life. It is looking very likely that i will be going into a plant science program through UF. Seriously, if it hadnt been for this forum i wouldnt be in this position right now, and i want to thank everybody who has contributed to this. There are many different fields that i can go into with a degree in this subject, and i will let yall know what happens whenever that time comes. It is very unlikely that i will stop being active here, as i have so many palms and various plants (this plant addiction has gone INSANE lol), ill definitely be posting about them from time to time and asking questions where needed.

Jumping back to when i first joined the forum, i was struggling at the time. I was going to be going into high school next year and thats stressful enough as it is, but there was a much bigger thing. My Grandmother had passed away in October of that year and i was struggling quite a lot from that. Getting into palms and such definitely helped me in regards to that. I think still to this day the reason why i continue to pile more plants onto my collection is not only from catching the palm bug, but its also because it makes me feel better. I guess plants make me not think about it as much and therefore im happier as a result? Im not sure but it has definitely helped. I should also note that she was a plant person, just to a lesser degree, so maybe i got it from her in a way. In any case, it doesnt feel like its been almost 4 years, even though it has. Palms is my coping mechanism, and i know there are plenty here on this forum who can relate.

Same here. I always have loved collecting plants.  Whenever I am upset I go and sit next to them. The only problem is that I keep wanting more plants and my parents won't let me get more. But I just turned 18 and I will hopefully be able to buy lots more plants in the future.  

• Like 1

An Autistic 18 year old who has an obsession with Palms!

29 minutes ago, EJ NJ said:

Same here. I always have loved collecting plants.  Whenever I am upset I go and sit next to them. The only problem is that I keep wanting more plants and my parents won't let me get more. But I just turned 18 and I will hopefully be able to buy lots more plants in the future.  

Yea, my parents are telling me that i need to stop BUT.......

I found a listing for 3 flamethrower seedlings for like $50 on Lets Grow Florida....i might have me some baby flamethrowers here soon lol

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 2 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 3 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 8 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa, 1 S. bermudana, 1 L. nitida