IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bentinckia condapanna

Brandon39.5

Hey guys, I'm gonna buy 10 Bentinckia condapanna seeds. Theres not much information out there so I need information and there's no better place than here in palmtalk! I have a couple of quaestions:

How much cold can it tolerate?

Is it fast growing?

which is the best way to germinate it?

How much time does it take to germinate it?

Soil requirements?

If you have one even if it's a seedling show me please!  I've really appriciate all replies, thanks.

I have written down that the ones I germinated last year took a little less than 4 weeks to sprout. I used moist orchid moss in a baggie on a heat mat @ 85 deg. I wouldn't considerate them fast or terribly slow at least here in Florida in pots. Off the top of my head I don’t know what their native soil is like. Mine have done well potted in fast draining but moist soil. In the ground here in Fla. is another story…

I would check the freeze damage data spreadsheet that @kinzyjr maintains for info about cold hardiness. Good luck!

• Like 1

You should search previous threads here on PT. A few years ago this palm was all the rage and there is a lot of info that will answer many of the questions you have. 

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Easy to sprout if fresh. Put mine in baggie like Dean, once root big enuf, I transplant to community pot. 9 in this pot.

B7A71790-F02A-44C1-8173-5D7B0B47D1BD.jpeg

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

1 hour ago, NatureGirl said:

Easy to sprout if fresh. Put mine in baggie like Dean, once root big enuf, I transplant to community pot. 9 in this pot.

B7A71790-F02A-44C1-8173-5D7B0B47D1BD.jpeg

how old are they?

Planted seeds in either late March or early April

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

1 hour ago, realarch said:

You should search previous threads here on PT. A few years ago this palm was all the rage and there is a lot of info that will answer many of the questions you have. 

Tim

I will, thank you!

2 hours ago, D. Morrowii said:

I have written down that the ones I germinated last year took a little less than 4 weeks to sprout. I used moist orchid moss in a baggie on a heat mat @ 85 deg. I wouldn't considerate them fast or terribly slow at least here in Florida in pots. Off the top of my head I don’t know what their native soil is like. Mine have done well potted in fast draining but moist soil. In the ground here in Fla. is another story…

I would check the freeze damage data spreadsheet that @kinzyjr maintains for info about cold hardiness. Good luck!

Thank you so much!

• Like 1

Bentinckia condapanna - great looking palm and a fast growing palm as well. These are some of the close to 30 B. condapannas that line the path between my property and Kim's property. Planted about ten years ago and they were no more than 10-12 inches tall at the time.

IMG_2716.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

3 minutes ago, bgl said:

Bentinckia condapanna - great looking palm and a fast growing palm as well. These are some of the close to 30 B. condapannas that line the path between my property and Kim's property. Planted about ten years ago and they were no more than 10-12 inches tall at the time.

IMG_2716.jpg

Beautiful! it grows as fast than Archontophoenix!

• Like 1

Those 30 Bentickias are insane Bo!! I have a seedling the date is when it first sprouted. The one in ground I bought as a 5g. Don't remember how long they took to germinate, but I had it in a plastic container with moist perlite. I had a few that didn't germinate though. 

20230710_083346.jpg

Screenshot_20230724_191438_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Palmiz said:

Those 30 Bentickias are insane Bo!! I have a seedling the date is when it first sprouted. The one in ground I bought as a 5g. Don't remember how long they took to germinate, but I had it in a plastic container with moist perlite. I had a few that didn't germinate though. 

20230710_083346.jpg

Screenshot_20230724_191438_Gallery.jpg

wow! those seedlings are looking very healthy! and the one in the ground is beautiful. the palm in the right is wodyetia bifurcata right? did you grow it from seed or you bought it? looks very healthy!

1 hour ago, Brandon39.5 said:

wow! those seedlings are looking very healthy! and the one in the ground is beautiful. the palm in the right is wodyetia bifurcata right? did you grow it from seed or you bought it? looks very healthy!

Yes good eye, I bought it 10yrs ago as 5g. I kept it in pot for at least 7 years. I think it should've been alot larger if I had planted in ground sooner. It's taking off now! The seedlings seem to be growing at a good speed. Seems to be faster than most of my seedlings. Thanks and goodluck!

• Like 1