• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

East Texas native sabals...

Sabal King

I wanted to start documenting native sabals on our newly acquired ranch in East Texas... I checked the county map, and we are next to a county listed as having native sabals but seems like we have some popping up way in the back, within a stones throw of a spring fed stream running through the property.  This area during the wet wet months certainly rushes with water, and floods a bit for sure given how the grass was pushed to one side.  I couldn't think of a more perfect place for some native sabals to grow..

We were doing some basic exploring of the property (so much more to do, haven't even scratched the surface) and how perfect was it that I happened to stumble upon a 2-3 year old seedling.. There have to be some big ones back here somewhere seeding.  I know what I'm doing next time we get out there.. I'm finding me the parents and what I'm sure is a big stand of them somewhere.

Stay tuned!

IMG_20230519_141706.thumb.JPG.4798df7b5920eb4d72133555ee35d289.JPG

IMG_20230519_141326.thumb.JPG.b15a9313bc62f409b94bdc44d5bcf45d.JPG

IMG_20230519_141324.thumb.JPG.66884250ab067d317f42a7bb4ff09fe0.JPGIMG_20230519_142231.thumb.JPG.ffcaa601b86d357a2bd08699a6a31625.JPG

IMG_20230519_142232.thumb.JPG.fe73f8163adcdac9673e798cc64ffcc5.JPG

IMG_20230519_141327.JPG

IMG_20230519_141452.JPG

IMG_20230519_141659.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

Cool. What species?

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

11 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Cool. What species?

Wish I knew... I'm going to start with guessing it's a Sabal minor, which would make sense and likely be the best guess, but we aren't far from Louisiana, so who knows...  Also a contender..  I haven't gotten across that stream (we just closed on this place last Friday) but we have 6 acres that is separated by this stream, so there might very well be Sabal city back there.  The next chance I get I will do some more searching on my own without the wife, and four children (seven month old included) in tow!  Bushwhacking on my own makes it much easier.

I have a feeling there is a big stand of these out there somewhere, just need to find it and drop a pin on the location.  Stand by everyone... updates to follow!

• Like 8

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, well found a few other seedlings on this side of the branch, but we finally got over to the other side and as I was suspecting, the main stand of these is over there, somewhere.  I don't think this is the biggest one yet, although the biggest one here in this example is seeding which is great!  We're working on getting a bridge so we can more easily get across the branch, especially during rainy season... Here are some more pictures, with a LOT more on this to follow.  I've got about 5-6 acres of "sabal sanctuary" I need to keep exploring!

I'm assuming these are regular Sabal minor, but maybe there's a chance they end up trunking and become Louisiana... who knows.  The mystery continues

IMG_20230619_121359.JPG

IMG_20230619_121405.JPG

IMG_20230619_121412.JPG

IMG_20230619_121449.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

What fun you will have. Best wishes for your sanctuary.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 5/24/2023 at 12:42 PM, Sabal King said:

Wish I knew... I'm going to start with guessing it's a Sabal minor, which would make sense and likely be the best guess, but we aren't far from Louisiana, so who knows...  Also a contender..  I haven't gotten across that stream (we just closed on this place last Friday) but we have 6 acres that is separated by this stream, so there might very well be Sabal city back there.  The next chance I get I will do some more searching on my own without the wife, and four children (seven month old included) in tow!  Bushwhacking on my own makes it much easier.

I have a feeling there is a big stand of these out there somewhere, just need to find it and drop a pin on the location.  Stand by everyone... updates to follow!

Isn't S.louisiana just S.minor growing long-term in a flooded local?

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 8:47 AM, SeanK said:

Isn't S.louisiana just S.minor growing long-term in a flooded local?

Not quite, there are many variations for example the Sabal Minor “brazoria” or whatever it’s called now that also grows ina flooded local yet get nowhere near the level of trunk as louisianas

• Like 1

Lucas

8 hours ago, Little Tex said:

Not quite, there are many variations for example the Sabal Minor “brazoria” or whatever it’s called now that also grows ina flooded local yet get nowhere near the level of trunk as louisianas

So you've confirmed my suspicion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SeanK said:

So you've confirmed my suspicion.

Well what I mean to say is that there is a distinct difference, you couldn’t plant a sabal minor “mcurtain” and put in a bayou and expect it to get a few feet of trunk, ykwim?

• Like 1

Lucas

2 minutes ago, Little Tex said:

Well what I mean to say is that there is a distinct difference, you couldn’t plant a sabal minor “mcurtain” and put in a bayou and expect it to get a few feet of trunk, ykwim?

?

How dow you know that? The S.louisianas seen in sitio may be 50+ years old.

• Like 1

There’s Louisianas, brazorias, Birminghams that people grow in their yards that don’t flood and all have trunks. Definitely all different from standard sabal minor 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, teddytn said:

There’s Louisianas, brazorias, Birminghams that people grow in their yards that don’t flood and all have trunks. Definitely all different from standard sabal minor 

My Sabal Louisiana is really putting on the fronds and 'trunk'*** compared to other minor.  Twice as fast at least.

*** trunk in this context means 'wishful thinking trunk'

• Like 3

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Don’t see my Minors ever trunking, but the Brazoria is…9 years to get about 12” but I’ll take it…has had a lot of setbacks so maybe this will be its decade…😂…but gotta love the ratty nature of a Brazoria’s trunk!

image.thumb.jpg.e3a3054837d693d790994312009d1d0b.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.66f5d371c408cf4f79fd8b66e229159d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Allen said:

My Sabal Louisiana is really putting on the fronds and 'trunk'*** compared to other minor.  Twice as fast at least.

*** trunk in this context means 'wishful thinking trunk'

Same here lol. Slightly above ground, seem to keep getting wider rather that going straight vertical. Hopefully less than another decade 🙏🏻

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1