IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea anemophila seedlings not doing great

fotodimatti

Dear palm friends!
Whats wrong with my seedlings?
I was rather lucky germinating a RPS batch of Chamaedorea anemophila seeds a year ago.
But most of the seedlings seem to suffer a bit. They show brown tips.
I grow them indoors in non-direct light in moist soil with good drainage. With temperatures of 16-18 degrees Centigrade in the night and up to 20 degress in the daytime.
In the winter I push the air humidity to around 60% with the help of an air humidifier.
Some specimen I have even put into a mini greenhouse with 80-95% air humidity.
But almost all of them show brown leaf tips.

I grow other understory palm trees with much more success in the very same conditions:  Joey Palm, Cham. stolonifera, chamaedorea ernesti-augusti.
Thanks in advance for your feedbacks

Matti

IMG-0933.jpg

IMG-0932.jpg

IMG-0931.jpg

IMG-0930.jpg

IMG-0929.jpg

Hi!

IIt seems like you are having some issues with the substrate, or too much watering. Those brown tips may indicate root problems/rotting due to substrate decay that leads to muddy heavy conditions and to aerobic issues around the roots.
Check the roots for rotted material and dark spots. If so, you must change it to a ligther/smother substrate.

• Like 1

Greetings, Luís

I agree with @Izorrito . You are likely overwatering - more plants are killed by too much water than too little. Don’t let them sit in trays of water either. Make sure your potting mix is coarse, light and free draining. Typical black potting soil from a bag is not adequate. I don’t know a lot about this Chamaedorea but I also suspect your house may be too dry and too chilly - 20C is only 68F. 

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks a lot for your feedbacks! I will try the idea to keep the soil drier.
The temperature should not be the problem if RPS is right: "Chamaedorea anemophila is a promising ornamental for warm temperate regions and should hold up well to cool weather and even light freezes. "
Matti

2 hours ago, fotodimatti said:

The temperature should not be the problem if RPS is right: "Chamaedorea anemophila is a promising ornamental for warm temperate regions and should hold up well to cool weather and even light freezes. "
Matti

In that case I can’t grow it. Must be one of the cloud forest Chams

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 4/16/2023 at 2:26 PM, fotodimatti said:

Matti

Just going to Comment, these palms don't like too dry, either. You should give just enough time between waterings to discourage fungal growth, but don't let the soil get too dry, either. In the Natural setting these grow on rain forest 🌴 floors. So try watering every 5-7 days. Also, the brown tips could be caused by spider mites, try some Neem oil and water misting. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Robert D. Young said:

Just going to Comment, these palms don't like too dry, either. You should give just enough time between waterings to discourage fungal growth, but don't let the soil get too dry, either. In the Natural setting these grow on rain forest 🌴 floors. So try watering every 5-7 days. Also, the brown tips could be caused by spider mites, try some Neem oil and water misting. 

Thanks Robert! Seems to be a tricky species.
I had another look at the leaves. I cannot spot any insects... (see photos).
I think the high tree seedling pots dont help. Humidity stays in the pots for too long. I am changing the seedlings to regular pots.
In general chamaedoreas don't seem to grow very deep roots I notice.
IMG_1148.HEICIMG_1154.HEICIMG_1164.HEICIMG_1168.HEICIMG_1150.HEICIMG_1161.HEICIMG_1166.HEIC

it looks like mites to me

try using magnification or take a picture and zoom in

physically wiping each leaf both sides with a soapy wet cloth helps knock the #s down no matter what youre approach

i am battling mites right now also so i am looking forward to getting the plants outside in about a month

• Like 1

Here is a series of macro photos of my chams. I dont see any spider mites or their typical 'web'.
Just dust from the room. What do you think/see? FDM_4571.thumb.jpg.819b045115612ffc3c2e79d3495e6318.jpgFDM_4568.thumb.jpg.f0ca801cd6a35fab4d6c2ddab7249616.jpgFDM_4564.thumb.jpg.903c1536eefd87273e975ef9d6d43244.jpgFDM_4561.thumb.jpg.1d7b2b401f287e74f1bc5a35f7f678f7.jpgFDM_4543.thumb.jpg.8cc7c0ea8070a0da9f9025fcfa6a2f8c.jpgFDM_4541.thumb.jpg.b7302a70d4719b9048b75b3db56a29be.jpgFDM_4539.thumb.jpg.6434175d709b7c13dd147fb1e49d6a4d.jpgFDM_4559.thumb.jpg.b39a283db88b3d4152e27a2021c68828.jpg
Thanks

FDM_4557.jpg

FDM_4554.jpg

FDM_4547.jpg

FDM_4534.jpg

FDM_4538.jpg

• Upvote 1

i would still give the a wipe down... the 3rd from last photo shows what could be a few mites

i have been doing some bug squishing over the weekend

i also put some more cold hardy plants outside temporarily as we have a rainy week and above freezing temperatures in the forecast

• Like 1