IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mexican Palm Spear Pull Mildew

PoquosonTerry

Hi,

Pictured are my two sago palms and Mexican Palm. The Sago Palms are currently generating new pups. However, the Mexican Palm, took a big hit during the recent cold freeze. 

All the fronds turned brown on my MP, and the spear pulled. There was mildew or wet substance so I cut the palm down until I could get to the bottom of the mildew. 

From the pictures, does it appear that my MP will not back to life as we are in the middle of May in Virginia Zone 8B? I don’t want to remove the MP as I’m hoping for a miracle. 

im open to suggestions as I have used Hydrogen Peroxide and Copper Fungicide to help remove the mildew. 

please provide feedback. Thanks. 

IMG_3289.jpeg

IMG_3287.jpeg

IMG_3255.jpeg

Looks like there are hollow areas that rain could puddle in. If that is the case put a bucket or something over the hole to keep rain out. Dry the hole out as much as possible. You may need to cut down further.

• Like 1

@Jeff zone 8 N.C., per your advisement, I trimmed down the palm another two-three inches, leaving the top surface flush, then immediately applied copper fungicide, yesterday morning. Well this morning, it appears that the palm grew a quarter of an inch. So that tells me that my palm is a true fighter. I’ll follow back with new pictures as the days press forward. Hopefully she makes a full comeback, despite losing approximately two feet of height. See new pics. 

IMG_3311.jpeg

Edited by PoquosonTerry
  • Like 1

Glad to hear that. I would not add more copper fungicide, for now, as too much could hurt. Do not water the palm unless you have a severe drought till it is definitely recovered. Keep the top of the trunk dry with something to keep rain out but allow air underneath so moisture does not accumulate.

Edited by Jeff zone 8 N.C.

Pictured, you’ll see the palm is fighting for her life in survival mode! I’ll try to reduce updates to monthly, but does anyone believe the crown will heal and reproduce new spears? I see the rings growing back but that means nothing if the spear is unable to reproduce from what I read online. Thoughts? 

IMG_3418.jpeg

IMG_3417.jpeg

• Like 1

The ONLY part that grows is the spear. It exits a growth bud just as a hair grows from a follicle. Those rings are old leaf bases. They're rising b/c the spear is pushing upward.

• Like 1

Understood @SeanK!!! What a relieve! Thanks for the feedback!!! I’ll remain optimistic from here and follow up in about a month!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, is it safe to assume that Mexican Palm will not recover, being with the recent regrowth, that the crown shaft from the very center has not grown in 32nd of an inch since I cut the tree flush over a month ago? Thoughts.  @Jeff zone 8 N.C. @SeanK

IMG_3685.jpeg

IMG_3687.jpeg

IMG_3689.jpeg

It is still alive as I see green. I am worried about the last pic posted where I see a hollow around that growth. Rain can still accumulate in there and cause rot to the spear deep down inside, if it was not covered. I would dry the hollow out as much as possible and then treat with a little copper again. Then cover to keep rain out. Maybe a bucket that would let some light through or plastic. But remember do not trap moisture in there. Let air get in. I think you still have a chance if the rot has not advanced too much

Should I cut the palm back down to the crown shaft area, being it’s hollow? @Jeff zone 8 N.C.then reapply Copper Fungicide? It’s supposed to rain Saturday. I’ll rig a plate above the top of the palm, with a distance of 4-6”, in effort to not trap moisture in the center. 

My guess is you do have plenty of trunk left till you get to the growth point, so you could cut it back, but I am not sure with a Mex palm. That is a call you will have to make.  I personally would be a little reluctant to take away that new growth with a cut but if it is not moving at all now then you have little to lose. The key from the start of bud rot is to get it taken care of fast and keep it dry so there is no progression. Hopefully others will chime in here soon. By the way whatever you do, keep todays rain out of collecting in any of the holes.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

My Mexican palm is approaching two months, prior to removing all the mildew. She’s still growing but I don’t see a spear of new fronds coming from the middle. Should I give it more time, or do you all believe the palm is hanging on for dear life and need her plug pulled?!! @Jeff zone 8 N.C. @SeanK

IMG_4052.jpeg

IMG_4054.jpeg

IMG_4053.jpeg

IMG_4051.jpeg

Looks like it is making progress but slow. Have you given it fertilizer? A good soaking mild liquid feed to the roots may help.