IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Every Sunday is Palm Sunday on Palm Talk

DoomsDave

Today is the Sunday before Easter, when Jesus rode into Jerusalem and people hailed his arrival by cutting leaves off palm trees and dropping them in the roadway.

Hence Palm Sunday.

I remember when I was a kid going to church and we'd get these little crosses made of what looked like leaflets from Sabal leaves, tied into a neat bow.

But, here, every Sunday is Palm Sunday and wishing all of you a happy Easter. And a happy palmy Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

And, show us some palm pictures! We won't say too many palms, or palms're ugly . . .

786300937_palmgarden.thumb.jpeg.ffbbabfedfa1699845ff2d1d8d36f946.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here’s another favorite picture 

Archontophoenix tuckeri 

How about your favorite palm picture(s)?

70C27AFC-B183-4203-820E-76B6EAE42844.thumb.jpeg.dff07f3b67ec6f1f4dd5182b8ac04c59.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

21 minutes ago, AZ_Palm_Guy said:

One of my latest additions to my place.

20230327_175526.jpg

Phoenix dactylifera? Or sylvestris?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Phoenix dactylifera? Or sylvestris?

Honestly I think it's more dactylifera than anything. I got it at a palm farm and there were so many phoenix palms nearby. So could have been a cross pollination scenario. It was growing next to this one in my picture. If you look closely you can see them tying up the fronds and digging it out. 

20230324_131108.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

On 4/2/2023 at 8:19 PM, AZ_Palm_Guy said:

One of my latest additions to my place.

20230327_175526.jpg

On 4/2/2023 at 9:24 PM, AZ_Palm_Guy said:

Honestly I think it's more dactylifera than anything. I got it at a palm farm and there were so many phoenix palms nearby. So could have been a cross pollination scenario. It was growing next to this one in my picture. If you look closely you can see them tying up the fronds and digging it out. 

20230324_131108.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

Bonus points for the Phoenix genus.

• Upvote 2

On 4/2/2023 at 10:41 PM, DoomsDave said:

Today is the Sunday before Easter, when Jesus rode into Jerusalem and people hailed his arrival by cutting leaves off palm trees and dropping them in the roadway.

Hence Palm Sunday.

I remember when I was a kid going to church and we'd get these little crosses made of what looked like leaflets from Sabal leaves, tied into a neat bow.

But, here, every Sunday is Palm Sunday and wishing all of you a happy Easter. And a happy palmy Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

And, show us some palm pictures! We won't say too many palms, or palms're ugly . . .

🥰
A very touching thread, Dave - thank you.
Well, since we here don't have such impressive palms outdoor, I wanted to join anyway and send you a photo of my Nemi.

image.thumb.jpeg.686cc320d78c8a638a8d86b82d16ebe7.jpeg

• Like 7

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

59 minutes ago, Z4Devil said:

🥰
A very touching thread, Dave - thank you.
Well, since we here don't have such impressive palms outdoor, I wanted to join anyway and send you a photo of my Nemi.

image.thumb.jpeg.686cc320d78c8a638a8d86b82d16ebe7.jpeg

Viele Dank!

Very nice!

• Like 2

On 4/2/2023 at 1:41 PM, DoomsDave said:

people hailed his arrival by cutting leaves off palm trees and dropping them in the roadway.

Hence Palm Sunday.

Since they were probably Phoenix dactylifera, I sure hope they cut off the bases of the leaves with those nasty sharp spines near the base of the rachis or his mule would have had a pretty tough walk of it.  Too bad that the IPS wasn't around back then encouraging the planting of more diverse palm genera, because then they could have used some palms that have nice soft pliable leaves. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

It was probably some form of Date Palm Jesus walked on. They recently discovered date palm seeds that were about 2,000 years old in that area and were able to germinate them. The seeds were 30% larger than todays date palm counterparts.

I'm a little late too (Palm Wednesday or Good Wednesday?) but thought I'd share the palmy view I had at lunch today.

IMG_20230405_122806.jpg

• Like 4

Jon Sunder

Keep the pictures coming!

Who needs an excuse anyway?

I remember as a kid we always had Phoenix leaves at church. I don't know if it was true date palm or P. canariensis. But I guess that's because at least here we associate those with biblical palms. 🌴

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

19 hours ago, D Palm said:

It was probably some form of Date Palm Jesus walked on. They recently discovered date palm seeds that were about 2,000 years old in that area and were able to germinate them. The seeds were 30% larger than todays date palm counterparts.

It would be interesting to know all of the date palm cultivars from that area that have gone extinct over the past few thousand years.

14 minutes ago, amh said:

It would be interesting to know all of the date palm cultivars from that area that have gone extinct over the past few thousand years.

There are probably much more varieties all the way to the west in Morocco or Spain. In the Sahara the could still be some jars that have survived thousdands of years. Very exciting stuff.

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

5 minutes ago, Hortulanus said:

There are probably much more varieties all the way to the west in Morocco or Spain. In the Sahara the could still be some jars that have survived thousdands of years. Very exciting stuff.

The vast dispersal of Phoenix dactylifera in ancient times is truly amazing.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, PortCharlotteCocos said:

Any updates on the Judaean date?

I think a few females were sprouted and have produced fruit, but I don't know the current status.

• Upvote 1