IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

8B Zone Phoenix Roebelenii survivor Dec. 2022

MarcusH

Now it's finally in the pot ! This Pygmy Palm survived our local low temperatures of 16,21,24,28F.  Some leaves around,  a bucket , deep watered and extra mulch for protection. I planned to dig this palm out before the freeze when I planted the Washy in front of it but for some reason I was busy with everything else then the artic blast came. I didn't expect it to survive but here's the proof.  Most fronds were burned but it's recovering well. 20230306_160326.thumb.jpg.f0ba0c951a10b6df9848067c5db90bac.jpg

20230304_114143.jpg

• Like 4

Great News.

A small palm like roebellini is easy enough to protect if planted near the east side of the house.

• Upvote 1

If we would have more space I would put one in a ground for sure plus I assume since they don't grow that tall overall there're easier to protect just watch out for those spikes I pinched myself a few times. I love the way it looks 

32 minutes ago, MarcusH said:

If we would have more space I would put one in a ground for sure plus I assume since they don't grow that tall overall there're easier to protect just watch out for those spikes I pinched myself a few times. I love the way it looks 

Single trunk Phoenix roebelleni are super easy to protect in structures.  They stay small and the fronds tie up effortlessly.  

Edited by Allen
  • Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I've been debating planting my big potted one but it's a triple which I'd probably have to axe 2 trunks to make it easier to protect for me.  And I'd have to box that one here which I'm not excited about.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

19 minutes ago, MarcusH said:

Upload a picture of your pygmy please 

OK. The big tall one you can stand under.  A 2 gallon watering can for scale.  I have had it potted since 2017 I think and trunks were about 1'.  Now over 3' trunks.  It's in a huge pot.

pygmy 2023.jpg

Edited by Allen
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Allen said:

OK. The big tall one you can stand under.  A 2 gallon watering can for scale.  I have had it potted since 2017 I think and trunks were about 1'.  Now over 3' trunks.  It's in a huge pot.

pygmy 2023.jpg

Wow I had no idea that they can grow so big in a pot lol . How tall was it when you bought it ? Looking great Allen 

6 minutes ago, MarcusH said:

Wow I had no idea that they can grow so big in a pot lol . How tall was it when you bought it ? Looking great Allen 

That's as big a pot as I can handle.  The pic makes pot look smaller due to angle or something.  It was about 1' trunk or a third or so the size.  Crown was pretty full still on shorter trunk.  I'm going to leave it potted as long as I can.  Not sure what else to do with it.  It would have to be boxed a long time compared to my other palms if I planted it which would suck.  All my palms have been out of protection for a while now.  Mule and Butia are the only ones on cold watch!

Edited by Allen
  • Upvote 1

I'm wondering if a local nursery would be interested in buying it from you after you decide to get rid of it. I know they're priced well once big and if you come up with a "low" price offer they might get your attention.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MarcusH said:

I'm wondering if a local nursery would be interested in buying it from you after you decide to get rid of it. I know they're priced well once big and if you come up with a "low" price offer they might get your attention.  

I am going to let it stay in pot till it declines which I'm not sure how long that could be.  I could take it out, root prune it and make it one trunk and see if that helps long term but would set back a year???  Not there yet on that idea.  It's still green.  The other pic is in sun which makes it look washed out.    To answer below question I've had it since 2017

pygmy 2 2023.jpg

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/9/2023 at 10:28 AM, Allen said:

I am going to let it stay in pot till it declines which I'm not sure how long that could be.  I could take it out, root prune it and make it one trunk and see if that helps long term but would set back a year???  Not there yet on that idea.  It's still green.  The other pic is in sun which makes it look washed out.    To answer below question I've had it since 2017

pygmy 2 2023.jpg

From my research and experience these really don’t mind being pot bound. I think you’ve got many years of growth remaining.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, FMG said:

From my research and experience these really don’t mind being pot bound. I think you’ve got many years of growth remaining.

My only issue I'm not sure how to deal with is roots at bottom are pushing entire palm upward out of the pot.  I know I can root trim but don't want to risk the damage and it's a iffy situation laying this large pot on the side and pulling out with the 3 trunks.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Allen said:

My only issue I'm not sure how to deal with is roots at bottom are pushing entire palm upward out of the pot.  I know I can root trim but don't want to risk the damage and it's an iffy situation laying this large pot on the side and pulling out with the 3 trunks.

I should have mentioned it in my first response, but they also don’t mind having a decent size portion of the root ball exposed. I had a large triple in a 25 gallon pot with probably 20% of the root ball exposed above the pot line and he grew like a weed. 

I’m not saying it wouldn’t be better off in a larger pot, but I think it will tolerate where it is for longer than you think.

You are right about de-potting something the size…I just did some 40 gallon Christmas palms and it was a beast!

• Upvote 1

Wish anywhere in my area would sell one, the only time my lowes had them when they were all dried out and dying

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Wish anywhere in my area would sell one, the only time my lowes had them when they were all dried out and dying

Our lowes has them right now. Have you checked recently?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RJ said:

Our lowes has them right now. Have you checked recently?

Yes, I was there friday and they never have them ever, only majesties 😭

• Upvote 1

Finally planted our second Pygmy in a pot . The little one that I digged out recovers very well . 

20230312_170658.jpg

20230312_170724.jpg

20230312_170639.jpg

• Like 2

This thread brought back memories, around 8 years ago i planted a roebelenii and put a roof on top of the corner of the pergola right above it. To my surprise it survived a -5C winter with only leafdamage. It was somewhat stockier than other specimens for sale here and the fronds looked a bit more rigid as well. No idea if it was perhaps a little hybridised. The following winter i lost it. 

8DEB7E34-278E-4446-9845-BD519F74B36E.jpeg

• Upvote 1

thats definitley a robeleni/dactlyifera hybrid maybe a theoprasti but those arent common.

note the stiff fronds and blueish hue

• Upvote 1

Lucas

Got a double pygmy date and planted it in the front yard, which is west facing. I had 2 of these in the ground for the Christmas freeze, but i A) forgot about them because they were so small and B ) i diverted my resources to my queens, which are large and getting larger (trunk rings showing on both). They would have been sooo damn easy to protect too, a single strand of christmas lights and a sheet would have done just fine. It probably wouldve only had minor burns to areas that was touching the sheet. Instead i now have dead palms that still need to be dug out. Oh well, these things are cheap to replace. My minimum temp recorded from December 2022 was 19F, and we likely stayed at or below 20F for up to 4 hours or more. Hard freeze conditions for 4+ hours, with daytime highs barely breaking 36F was a big ooooof.

• Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa