IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where to purchase Trachycarpus Nova?

knikfar

Three years ago, I purchased three trachycarpus nova from North Texas Cold Hardy Palms, which no longer exists. I planted them together in a triangle pattern. Two of the palms look fantastic and have put on a lot of growth. The third has been struggling, hasn't grown much and recently spear pulled. A frond also came out with the spear. I trunk cut it and applied copper fungicide but have had zero luck doing that with other palms in my yard. I can't seem to find anywhere to purchase a replacement. Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find one to purchase? Seed are available online but that would take forever for it to catch up to the other two. Any direction anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. 

4 hours ago, knikfar said:

Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find one to purchase?

Forest Farm at Pacifica sell a palm labeled Trachycarpus nanus (https://www.forestfarm.com/trachycarpus-nanus-trna100.html); however, many who have purchased it (so I have heard) claim that it produces a truck, and therefore is probably a mislabeled Trachycarpus sp. 'Nova' (or possibly hybrid) in actuality.  I do not have personal knowledge with this particular palm offering; however, I have ordered other items from them in the past.  I have found the quality of their offerings to be top notch, to include both the quality of their specimens, and their shipping/packing acumen.

• Like 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

Desertscape nursery on ebay and Etsy. I know he doesn't currently have seedlings but he does have seeds. He has had seedlings in the past and may have the next crop growing currently..  I purchased from him before and it was well packaged. 

On 2/20/2023 at 7:38 PM, N8ALLRIGHT said:

Desertscape nursery on ebay and Etsy. I know he doesn't currently have seedlings but he does have seeds. He has had seedlings in the past and may have the next crop growing currently..  I purchased from him before and it was well packaged. 

I have bought from them too.  They are one of the few options in the U.S. for rarer trachycarpus palms.  They pack well but the plants are generally quite small. The "Nova" that I have in the ground had a spear pull last year when I fertilized a little early, but it recovered.

IMG_6613.jpeg

• Like 2

Hey Kris. I write this not only for you, as you may already know, but for others here. I highly recommend Garys Nursery just outside James City (New Bern, N.C.). He and his family run a wholesale nursery that sells retail on site. They have grown and distributed millions of cold hardy palms for 48 years now. They DO NOT ship! Call 1st to see what they have in stock and hours. They also do a lot of landscaping and so carry larger sizes as well as smaller stuff. They do sell wholesale to other nurseries from Virginia to states south of N.C.  and so if you can't make the drive they can tell you who might have his palms or carry your particular needs, nearer to you. But New Bern is a nice couple hour or so drive from you and is a tourist destination as well as the beaches who are only a quick drive away, where you can see a lot of palms.

• Like 1

I second the recommendation of Gary's Nursery.  He has especially great Sabals and you can get a larger size than mail order. (At my last visit he did not have T nova or other rarer windmill palms.)

On 2/25/2023 at 11:17 AM, Jeff zone 8 N.C. said:

Hey Kris. I write this not only for you, as you may already know, but for others here. I highly recommend Garys Nursery just outside James City (New Bern, N.C.). He and his family run a wholesale nursery that sells retail on site. They have grown and distributed millions of cold hardy palms for 48 years now. They DO NOT ship! Call 1st to see what they have in stock and hours. They also do a lot of landscaping and so carry larger sizes as well as smaller stuff. They do sell wholesale to other nurseries from Virginia to states south of N.C.  and so if you can't make the drive they can tell you who might have his palms or carry your particular needs, nearer to you. But New Bern is a nice couple hour or so drive from you and is a tourist destination as well as the beaches who are only a quick drive away, where you can see a lot of palms.

I've been to Gary's several times. We're even friends on Facebook. So I'm familiar. 

On 2/26/2023 at 11:46 AM, LeonardHolmes said:

I second the recommendation of Gary's Nursery.  He has especially great Sabals and you can get a larger size than mail order. (At my last visit he did not have T nova or other rarer windmill palms.)

I have three sabal minor, one sabal braziorensis and a citrumelo in my yard, all from Gary. I have plenty of other palms to but I've been to Gary's several times.