IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How things have changed….

DippyD

Great looking garden you have there! I love the oliviformis? In the first pic especially. Real nice colors in those groupings, thanks for sharing the pics.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Even the name Dypsis decipiens has changed to Chrysalidocarpus decipiens!  Will you be keeping the same username or will that change too?  :)

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 3

Jon Sunder

17 hours ago, Fusca said:

Even the name Dypsis decipiens has changed to Chrysalidocarpus decipiens!  Will you be keeping the same username or will that change too?  :)

I’m not changing any names 😂

• Like 2

17 hours ago, D. Morrowii said:

Great looking garden you have there! I love the oliviformis? In the first pic especially. Real nice colors in those groupings, thanks for sharing the pics.

Chambeyronia on the right in the first pic. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 10:20 AM, DippyD said:

Chambeyronia on the right in the first pic. 

It looks nice!  I've struggled more with the regular form of Chambeyronia macrocarpa versus the hookeri form, so I'm always impressed to see nice ones like yours.  What is the timeline between the initial plantings in your first post photos of everything after they came out of pots versus current day?

If I'm not mistaken, I see a Howea forsteriana in one of the early photos, but can't find it in the later.  I assume it is one of the deaths?

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

46 minutes ago, Tracy said:

It looks nice!  I've struggled more with the regular form of Chambeyronia macrocarpa versus the hookeri form, so I'm always impressed to see nice ones like yours.  What is the timeline between the initial plantings in your first post photos of everything after they came out of pots versus current day?

If I'm not mistaken, I see a Howea forsteriana in one of the early photos, but can't find it in the later.  I assume it is one of the deaths?

That Marcocarpa is a fatty, I think I found that howea you were looking for. It just towered out of the pic lol.  I'm curious about the timeline on the macrocarpa and the Howea 

88DE5364-986E-4AA6-91A4-F5332E75865D.thumb.jpeg.f1b2c9ceb032f4ff003367a6a74fddf6.jpeg.jpg

Before and after garden photos are great, Mahalo! Your palms look terrific, healthy and robust. Thanks for the post.

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On 2/6/2023 at 10:20 AM, DippyD said:

I’m not changing any names 😂

Just wait another 5 or 10 years and TPTB will flip-flop back to Dypsis again and you will have been vindicated.

Why did they flip (back) on Dypsis? I haven't taken the time to investigate the why...

• Like 1

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

11 hours ago, Tracy said:

Couple of the original Howeas i had planted to create canopy. As you can see in 2010 it was a flat land. It also gets very hot here in the summer months even though I’m in “San Clemente” we’re a bit off the coast and up on a hill. I either ended up losing or removing every rhopalostylis. Thinned certain things out that at the time had no idea would get as big as they do (cycads). Now am thinking about removing more and changing a bit more.  The howeas that do remain have about 10-12’ of clear trunk. 

10 hours ago, Patrick said:

Just wait another 5 or 10 years and TPTB will flip-flop back to Dypsis again and you will have been vindicated.

Why did they flip (back) on Dypsis? I haven't taken the time to investigate the why...

I haven’t taken the time to ready about it myself. When i purchased everything that is there they were labeled dypsis. Dypsis they remain 😂

10 hours ago, Palmiz said:

That Marcocarpa is a fatty, I think I found that howea you were looking for. It just towered out of the pic lol.  I'm curious about the timeline on the macrocarpa and the Howea 

88DE5364-986E-4AA6-91A4-F5332E75865D.thumb.jpeg.f1b2c9ceb032f4ff003367a6a74fddf6.jpeg.jpg

The chamby was planted in 2010 from a squat 10 from rancho Soledad. Did not have any rings of trunk on it. 

the howea i actually sprouted from Bob De Jongs garden in 2002/03. I mentioned it has about 10-12’ of trunk but i just looked maybe it’s more 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

• Like 1

Very nice garden!! Thanks or the pics, from seed 20 yrs ago..impressive! I got a long way to go, cant wait to raise them to that size one of these many years.

Epic garden and shots! 

What is the two trunked dypsis in the top pic from your post from the current setup? 

looks awesome all around. 

20 hours ago, Patrick said:

It is worth scanning through the article that William Baker shared this summer on the Dypsidine subtribe that contains Dypsis.  His post is here:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/topic/74827-major-change-to-dypsis-now-divided-into-three-genera/#comment-1073544

You can read all about this in our paper freely accessible here https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/tax.12797 .

10 hours ago, DippyD said:

It also gets very hot here in the summer months even though I’m in “San Clemente” we’re a bit off the coast and up on a hill. I either ended up losing or removing every rhopalostylis.

Up on a hill is probably really good for cold drainage.  I used to head up to meet friends for pre-dawn patrol at Trestle's periodically so am familiar with how that cold drainage blows through at the lower elevations before the sun rises.  So when did you start this garden?  Were you growing many palms here for the 2007 freeze in this garden?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tracy said:

It is worth scanning through the article that William Baker shared this summer on the Dypsidine subtribe that contains Dypsis.  His post is here:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/topic/74827-major-change-to-dypsis-now-divided-into-three-genera/#comment-1073544

You can read all about this in our paper freely accessible here https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/tax.12797 .

Up on a hill is probably really good for cold drainage.  I used to head up to meet friends for pre-dawn patrol at Trestle's periodically so am familiar with how that cold drainage blows through at the lower elevations before the sun rises.  So when did you start this garden?  Were you growing many palms here for the 2007 freeze in this garden?

Most of these went in after. Prob around 2009/2010. Although we get good cold drainage we seldomly see frost here in SC. Braden’s dads garden seemed to hold up just fine here in 07. At least better than a lot of gardens!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, surfermatt said:

Epic garden and shots! 

What is the two trunked dypsis in the top pic from your post from the current setup? 

looks awesome all around. 

This was originally purchased as Dypsis sp. Kindreo

the single palm behind it is dypsis ambositrae. 

not sure if they are the same palm or different 

I bought a palm from Perry years ago, which he called "Kindreo", he told me it was a different variety of D. Ambisotrae.  I lost it, so can't compare to the others.  Cecile

1 hour ago, SHEP said:

I bought a palm from Perry years ago, which he called "Kindreo", he told me it was a different variety of D. Ambisotrae.  I lost it, so can't compare to the others.  Cecile

On 2/9/2023 at 3:29 PM, DippyD said:

This was originally purchased as Dypsis sp. Kindreo

the single palm behind it is dypsis ambositrae. 

not sure if they are the same palm or different 

I remember getting what we now call a Chrysalidocarpus plumosus (Dypsis plumosa) labeled as Dypsis ambositrae, which was wrong.  I remember a post Matty B did a while back on ambositrae and what the "real deal" might be.  Gosh that will be a decade ago in a few months...

So yes, it does appear that sp Kindreo was later marketed as the real Dypsis ambositrae, now Chrysalidocarpus ambositrae.  Well at least for now.

On 2/10/2023 at 4:01 PM, Tracy said:

I remember getting what we now call a Chrysalidocarpus plumosus (Dypsis plumosa) labeled as Dypsis ambositrae, which was wrong.  I remember a post Matty B did a while back on ambositrae and what the "real deal" might be.  Gosh that will be a decade ago in a few months...

So yes, it does appear that sp Kindreo was later marketed as the real Dypsis ambositrae, now Chrysalidocarpus ambositrae.  Well at least for now.

I did bring a few in from floribunda as well as ambositrae I’ll post those when i get a chance. Interesting enough the only one that has split was the SP. kindreo our of the 6 i have growing. 

• Like 1

@DippyDyour garden rocks! 

Hmmm. Interesting about the Rhopies. You might want to try some again now that you’ve got some canopy, especially baueri types. 

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

@DippyDyour garden rocks! 

Hmmm. Interesting about the Rhopies. You might want to try some again now that you’ve got some canopy, especially baueri types. 

We will see, tight quarters here but maybe down the road I’ll swap something else out.