IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sealing Wax Palm Help

JessieMaui

We just planted two sealing wax palms about a month ago and one all of a sudden has dry brown leaves on the top and middle.  The leaves and the base are still green.  We suspect that the landscaper who planted them may have used too much fertilizer and burned them, but aren't sure.  We planted another one about 6 feet away that deems to be doing fine so fat.  Any suggestions on what this may be and how to deal with it?  We're hoping we can save it! 

20230120_165002.jpg

20230120_165009.jpg

20230120_165013.jpg

• Like 1

Keep a lot of water on it. These palms hate to dry out and it might have been growing under shade and now it’s in full sun. I would water every day and it should come back. It looks like it was burnt 

• Like 1

Their natural habitat is on the sides of swamp lands.

You cannot overwater this 1.

• Like 1

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Concur with the others.  

mid leave the dead ones for now and pay close attention to the central spear.   Water water water.  You almost can’t overwater this palm.   

it’s also very helpful to know your location / zone.  

I keep mine fully submerged in water via a 500 gallon koi pond I buried.  I run an aquatic heater in the water with a circulation pump.  They took off when I did this experiment over a year ago.  Water water and more water.

• Like 1

I have two.  One in the shade getting all shower and laundry water.  The other in a pot sitting in a lily pond.  Both happy.  Pond in full sun.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

I never trust a landscaper to plant a valuable palm. They dig hole, they shove plant in hole, repeat. Ugh.

Mongo like to heavy fertilizer in hole, burn roots with mineral salts.

Here's my whole point, where is the mulch?

Edited by Moose

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B