IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Member - Another DFW zone pusher

FMG

Hello everyone, just made my first post and figured I’d introduce myself. Really got into palming a couple years ago and now that I’ve got the space I’ve gone a little “nuts”.

I cheated and imported two large Florida Sabal Palmetto. The smaller tree next to is 8-9ft Queen I’m going to try to keep going with heavy protection (it’s under canopy, will also wrap over lights and have large covers for fronds. Hoping favorable microclimate (on a lakeside peninsula) will help.  I’ll consider it a win if it survivors a couple winters. 

Have also planted 4-5 filifera, couple Sylvester, a CIDP, two bismarck, sabal minor, European fan, needle and saw palmetto. Chinese windmill and 4-5 banana varieties.  Those that need protection are still small enough for container/blanket/space heater. Think I will really push it come spring and put one of my 45 gallon Christmas, foxtail, coconut, majesty or pigmy date in the ground. Those reside in the (climate controlled and grow light supplemented) greenhouse/sunroom for the winter. 

I’ve learned a ton on here and hope I can contribute going forward!

EE6C61DC-9E6D-452D-875C-E0A1C348729E.jpeg

9E972D0A-0680-484B-A9F5-0E38C7B41957.jpeg

6D28C307-5E8F-4B66-A1FB-A06FD33E7375.jpeg

22F6E6D7-0DE8-425D-9094-2D055026B8B7.jpeg

F358EFE7-4626-431D-9772-E67307172605.jpeg

3398FE66-E065-4EAD-A601-BB181A971B00.jpeg

33CAC5F2-6259-4395-99BC-A98C094FC1ED.jpeg

0630E8FA-AB78-477E-8C58-4105FEFCEB55.jpeg

6B6C11B8-0CFF-477F-A7D3-32780728D095.jpeg

447DBEC3-BD9D-4C80-86D7-1EAA276DE8F0.jpeg

C2471D89-6F54-4AFF-BFEB-AF833426EC6A.jpeg

4FED4845-D2B6-47F9-8786-3D37436ABB6F.jpeg

6C159B9A-3A30-4EA7-B9D8-D3B97A44EE64.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Upvote 1

Welcome to PalmTalk. Wow! Beautiful house and yard. You can create a palmy jungle there. One suggestion: clear away grass/weeds within a  3’ radius of palms and lay mulch. Grass will stifle small palms and will suck up water and nutrients the palms need. And do stick and contribute. Palm interest and knowledge travels more than one way.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Welcome to palmtalk. You are off to a good start, but unfortunately, the palm obsession will only grow. The trees on your property should help reduce frost, but the slope could create some cold micro climates.

• Like 1

@FMG Welcome to the forum and nice work thus far! 

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Nice palms there . I'm ready to build  a pool as well   to accent my palms  . Fun stuff !

Will

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 3:55 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

Welcome to PalmTalk. Wow! Beautiful house and yard. You can create a palmy jungle there. One suggestion: clear away grass/weeds within a  3’ radius of palms and lay mulch. Grass will stifle small palms and will suck up water and nutrients the palms need. And do stick and contribute. Palm interest and knowledge travels more than one way.

Interesting somebody is saying that. I always thought I'd be crazy to think that. But I've had the same experience with small palms and grass around it!

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

What's your location? I just googled the abbreviation. So I assume you're in North Texas right? 😁

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

3 hours ago, Hortulanus said:

What's your location? I just googled the abbreviation. So I assume you're in North Texas right? 😁

Dallas 

DFW = Dallas FortWorth 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hortulanus said:

Correct, Northwest Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Zone 8a. We’re on a lake peninsula so hoping that gives me a little extra cold protection as well. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 3:44 AM, FMG said:

Correct, Northwest Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Zone 8a. We’re on a lake peninsula so hoping that gives me a little extra cold protection as well. 

Well 8a plus the peninsula situation and the looks of your surroundings with all the trees might make a good climate for zone pushing! The Sabal should do well anyway. 😏

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

On 12/9/2022 at 9:44 PM, FMG said:

Water proximity definitely helps, I’m on a peninsula and I stay a good 5* warmer then the further away from the lake, my parents are in an even warmer spot on the lake. Neither them nor I have received our first frost, yet my rental 5 miles from the lake has seen 28* and frost. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RJ said:

Water proximity definitely helps, I’m on a peninsula and I stay a good 5* warmer then the further away from the lake, my parents are in an even warmer spot on the lake. Neither them nor I have received our first frost, yet my rental 5 miles from the lake has seen 28* and frost. 

Would love to be 5 degrees warmer. Seems like 2-3 so far by my very unscientific observations. Saw 30 degrees for a couple hours one morning in late November but after a week in the 60s and 70s the bananas are all pushing out new leaves. 

46 minutes ago, FMG said:

Would love to be 5 degrees warmer. Seems like 2-3 so far by my very unscientific observations. Saw 30 degrees for a couple hours one morning in late November but after a week in the 60s and 70s the bananas are all pushing out new leaves. 

How large is the body of water you’re on? Lake Murray is ~51,000 acres at its deepest is nearly 275’ . It’s a big body of water that in the midst winter doesn’t drop below 55 for the most part. And that’s usually in February when the coldest weather . Water is a great moderator. Even frozen 🤫

even 2-3 can be the make or break it for palms. 

• Like 2

On 12/12/2022 at 9:09 PM, RJ said:

How large is the body of water you’re on? Lake Murray is ~51,000 acres at its deepest is nearly 275’ . It’s a big body of water that in the midst winter doesn’t drop below 55 for the most part. And that’s usually in February when the coldest weather . Water is a great moderator. Even frozen 🤫

even 2-3 can be the make or break it for palms. 

Yeah we’re much smaller, only about 8k acres and 70 ft deep, so less help. Water temps typically bottom out around 50 degrees in January. Interestingly, this past summer we saw water temps of 90 in July.

12 hours ago, FMG said:

Yeah we’re much smaller, only about 8k acres and 70 ft deep, so less help. Water temps typically bottom out around 50 degrees in January. Interestingly, this past summer we saw water temps of 90 in July.

Wow that’s very warm. The fish must not enjoy that. Warm water holds less oxygen. 

Thats still a pretty big body of water and it sounds like it doesn’t get to chilly. It will definitely help some 👍