IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

World Cup 2022 Qatar

UK_Palms

2 weeks to go now until the biggest sports competition in the world begins. It's going to be weird having it during the winter when every other World Cup has been played in June-July at the end of the domestic seasons. Rather this one is going to be played halfway through the regular season, since it would have been 45C / 115F in Qatar during June-July, which would be ridiculous. I'm surprised they even managed to get a World Cup staged in the gulf region though, but I guess when all that oil money speaks, people listen. 

fifa_world_cup_qatar_2022_by_jafarjeef_df2um59-fullview.jpg.bb89b5c2338f2f91ce8630035b984e13.jpg

I'm not sure how many Yanks will be following, but you guys are lumped in group B with England and we play each other 25h November. Regardless of that result, I can't see either Iran or Wales getting through our group. Iran definitely won't make it out the group. England will probably top the group with USA second. Wales likely won't make it out the group either. Then the knockout rounds commence 3rd December. The final is 2 weeks later on 18th December. My money is on a Brazil vs England final. Will it finally be 'coming home' for England this year haha!? :lol2:

FVPO9XYXsAEVZBD.thumb.jpg.0b20c3899f34e97a5ba407a2740d75e0.jpg

il_fullxfull.4076675264_rneb.thumb.jpg.ce33dc9323ff7f834b27645575ffc65d.jpg

The Canadians have got a ridiculously tough group with Belgium, Croatia and Morocco. The top 2 advance to knockout stages, so I can't see the Canucks getting out the group. The Netherlands probably have the easiest group draw. I would be shocked if they didn't top the group, but there is always 1-2 surprises early on.

France are likely the favourites overall and I think Mexico or Japan could be dark horses this tournament. I wouldn't write the German's off either. European teams will likely dominate, so I would expect France, Germany, England & maybe Brazil to make the last 4 AKA the semi-finals. Argentina are probably up there too, if Messi's legs are still working.

On a side note, I am sure the stadiums will be surrounded by Phoenix Dactylifera and Washingtonia Filifera plams in that desert region.

Edited by UK_Palms

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Only thing i want to see when i check in to see who is advancing is seeing Brazil, Mexico, or Spain wiping the floor with everyone else.. :D

Vamos ao Brasil!!

449522250_Screenshot2022-11-06at19-36-01brazilianflagatDuckDuckGo.png.c97574b82fe9ddefffb3990837fb3f60.png

@Silas_Sancona Just out of curiosity, why are you rooting for Brazil, or the other two countries? I'm assuming due to family/ancestors or something? Or do you just like those countries or teams? I would have thought you would back the USA still, where you live. I suppose it is different if your family comes from Brazil or Mexico or something. 

I would say that Brazil are favourites to reach the final for sure. They have the best attack in the world, but they are weaker in midfield and defence. The only way England could meet Brazil would be in the final due to the format of the groups and knockout rounds. Like I said, my money is on a Brazil vs England final on 18th December. England to win 2-1.

Also Argentina to beat Germany in the 3rd place playoff. I can't see Mexico or Spain going beyond the 2nd round. If my group table predictions are correct, Mexico will have to face the current holders France in the 2nd round/knockouts and Spain will have to face Belgium who are the 2nd best team in the world rankings. Two mammoth tasks.

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

• 3 weeks later...

I Personally Feel These Are Young Players To Look For

Vinicius Jr, 22, Brazil.
Julian Alvarez, 22, Argentina. 
Aurélien Tchouaméni, 22, France. 
Fede Valverde, 24, Uruguay. 
Phil Foden, 22, England. 
Jude Bellingham, 19, England.
Pedri, 19, Spain.
Gavi, 18, Spain.

This article has a list of player to look for:  https://www.ivacy.com/blog/best-young-players-world-cup-2022/

Edited by AbdulAziz12
  • Like 1

Who Do You Guys Think Is A Favorite Of This World Cup? I think Spain will a difference this year

Edited by AbdulAziz12
Made A Mistake By Typing How Instead of Who
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 6:38 PM, AbdulAziz12 said:

Who Do You Guys Think Is A Favorite Of This World Cup? I think Spain will a difference this year

So far the stand out teams are Spain, England, Brazil and France, in that order. One of those 4 will surely win it, although that was somewhat expected. Spain especially look a lot better than people envisioned going into the tournament.

Argentina, Belgium, Germany and Netherlands all very underwhelming, despite being ranked pretty high and potential favourites to win going into it. You have to give credit to Saudi Arabia and Japan too for their massive wins, although I can’t see them going beyond the 2nd round (last 16). Canada also did surprisingly well too against Belgium, but they had no decent striker to actually score.

I reckon it will be an England vs Spain final. It can’t be Brazil va Spain as they would meet each other in the semis due to the way that the group stages and knockout rounds are formatted. Argentina are on that side as well, so even if they get through the group now they will probably go out to Spain or Brazil, since they look poor.

England are likely going to face Senegal in the 2nd round and France in quarter finals. It isn’t the same French team that won the last World Cup though. They have too many injuries and several weaknesses this year. If they beat England later in the tournament though I can see them going all the way to the final. Either way Spain are probably odds on favourite right now.

Edited by UK_Palms

@Silas_Sancona Yeah that was a good goal. Brazil have one of the best attack in the world. Funny you never see Richarlison do that in the Premier League though for Spurs haha. 

Anyway, it's time for England to slap up the USA now. The match kicks off in 10 minutes. I'm going with a 3-0 or 4-0 win for England. No offence to the Americans, but we have a very strong side and the USA only managed a 1-1 draw against Wales, who in turn lost 2-0 to Iran today, a team that we beat 6-2 in our first game. That says a lot. Maybe I will be made to eat my words, but I think we will smoke the USA here, although they will probably clinch 2nd in the group and progress to the knockout rounds still. Unless of course Iran beats them next week.

Come on England! Let's have it! See you on the other side... 

2 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

@Silas_Sancona Yeah that was a good goal. Brazil have one of the best attack in the world. Funny you never see Richarlison do that in the Premier League though for Spurs haha. 

Anyway, it's time for England to slap up the USA now. The match kicks off in 10 minutes. I'm going with a 3-0 or 4-0 win for England. No offence to the Americans, but we have a very strong side and the USA only managed a 1-1 draw against Wales, who in turn lost 2-0 to Iran today, a team that we beat 6-2 in our first game. That says a lot. Maybe I will be made to eat my words, but I think we will smoke the USA here, although they will probably clinch 2nd in the group and progress to the knockout rounds still. Unless of course Iran beats them next week.

Come on England! Let's have it! See you on the other side... 

England??  I thought you came to play today.. 🤷‍♂️ 🤣

🔥 effort by the U.S today. ( Still should have scored at least once though.. )  ...We'll see what happens w/ Iran..  Some of the twitter memes were 😬 enough today,  Should really be 😬 when we play Iran.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

England??  I thought you came to play today.. 🤷‍♂️ 🤣

🔥 effort by the U.S today. ( Still should have scored at least once though.. )  ...We'll see what happens w/ Iran..  Some of the twitter memes were 😬 enough today,  Should really be 😬 when we play Iran.

Agghhhh! WOW! I have been left with egg on my face here! F*****ck. :floor:

Fair play to the USA. They fought hard and arguably deserved to win that game! I have to take my hat off to them. We were atrocious! They were arguably the better team, although I think a point each is probably fair from that game. Either way England and USA will be going through the group, bar an upset from England vs Wales and USA vs Iran. I can't see it happening though. England and USA are clearly the two best teams in group B, hence the stalemate tonight. There has been a surprising number of 0-0 draws this tournament actually. Only 3 in total during the last World Cup, but already 6 during this current one and we are only on the 2nd set of group games! Not great from a sporting perspective. But it is, what it is. 

I have to give credit where it is due though. I talked sh*t and got my comeuppance tonight. Sorry. The USA could be the dark horses of this tournament. The work rate, endeavour and quality showed tonight. They really gave it their all and played England off the pitch at times. Like they were the better team, especially in the first half. We struggled to deal with them and could not break down their defence in the 2nd half. If they face the Netherlands in the 2nd round for instance, I think I would fancy the USA beating them and going through to the semis. The USA have a good, young, energetic side. Likewise with England, we will probably progress too. We will probably face Senegal if we top the group. Although USA could top the group and face Senegal, meaning England will face Netherlands. Either way both our teams are probably beating 1st and 2nd place from group A. Two good teams fought it out tonight & had a stalemate.

Also I have to give it to the USA fans who really put on a show tonight. They were chanting throughout and at times I think it put the England players off as their fans were drowned out. Lots of USA fans in the crowd who travelled and spurred their side on. Fantastic support and a fantastic performance from them tonight to frustrate my country. I don't know how many Americans actually watched the game, but the players did their country proud. I think they can genuinely build something with this team and go far in the tournament. Certainly last 16 and probably last 8 based on what I saw. Who knows, they could possibly go further. Now I have to eat some humble pie, since I put them down before the game with my arrogance. Wow that came back to bite me big time! Here's the England keeper making a fanatic save against the USA. Like I said, they could be the dark horses of this tournament...

2022-11-25T202402Z_1288084857_UP1EIBP1KO0MS_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER-WORLDCUP-ENG-USA-REPORT-1.jpg.aed4ce19c1c91e6d063809121df9fb04.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

Agghhhh! WOW! I have been left with egg on my face here! F*****ck. :floor:

Fair play to the USA. They fought hard and arguably deserved to win that game! I have to take my hat off to them. We were atrocious! They were arguably the better team, although I think a point each is probably fair from that game. Either way England and USA will be going through the group, bar an upset from England vs Wales and USA vs Iran. I can't see it happening though. England and USA are clearly the two best teams in group B, hence the stalemate tonight. There has been a surprising number of 0-0 draws this tournament actually. Only 3 in total during the last World Cup, but already 6 during this current one and we are only on the 2nd set of group games! Not great from a sporting perspective. But it is, what it is. 

I have to give credit where it is due though. I talked sh*t and got my comeuppance tonight. Sorry. The USA could be the dark horses of this tournament. The work rate, endeavour and quality showed tonight. They really gave it their all and played England off the pitch at times. Like they were the better team, especially in the first half. We struggled to deal with them and could not break down their defence in the 2nd half. If they face the Netherlands in the 2nd round for instance, I think I would fancy the USA beating them and going through to the semis. The USA have a good, young, energetic side. Likewise with England, we will probably progress too. We will probably face Senegal if we top the group. Although USA could top the group and face Senegal, meaning England will face Netherlands. Either way both our teams are probably beating 1st and 2nd place from group A. Two good teams fought it out tonight & had a stalemate.

Also I have to give it to the USA fans who really put on a show tonight. They were chanting throughout and at times I think it put the England players off as their fans were drowned out. Lots of USA fans in the crowd who travelled and spurred their side on. Fantastic support and a fantastic performance from them tonight to frustrate my country. I don't know how many Americans actually watched the game, but the players did their country proud. I think they can genuinely build something with this team and go far in the tournament. Certainly last 16 and probably last 8 based on what I saw. Who knows, they could possibly go further. Now I have to eat some humble pie, since I put them down before the game with my arrogance. Wow that came back to bite me big time! Here's the England keeper making a fanatic save against the USA. Like I said, they could be the dark horses of this tournament...

2022-11-25T202402Z_1288084857_UP1EIBP1KO0MS_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER-WORLDCUP-ENG-USA-REPORT-1.jpg.aed4ce19c1c91e6d063809121df9fb04.jpg

In my very minimal observation, U.S. did better than i'd have assumed.  England seemed off ..compared to what i'd have assumed considering how long the sport has been played there and the country's standing as a world cup team.. 

To my 0.08 out of 100 point knowledge of Football overall, lol  it seemed both teams could have been a little more aggressive, though it was a good game ...i mean both team got in shots.  England is still in the running, so.. U.S. has to prove it is good enough to move on..  We'll see what happens.

As to the U.S. presence in Qatar -fan-wise??,  i guess if so many folks here could afford to travel there for the cup,  things must not be as bad over here as some people would like the world to believe, lol  I'd have figured England fans would have drown out the U.S. fans 10-1 since ..in a way, we are fish outta water on that side of the pond, even if the cup isn't being held in Europe itself..

That said, Football ( I refuse to use the other term of the sport 🙃 ) has been gaining a lot of popularity here over the last several decades and there have been some sizable watch parties for the cup, or is what i have seen.. heck, the sport was in the process of gaining more widespread attention here in 1994 and pretty much everyone was glued to a T.V. during the matches.  I celebrated w/ the Brazilian team when they won ( were staying a few miles from my house ) and that celebration was nuts.  Can't imagine what 2026 will be like now that Football could be considered a top tier sport here now.

One thing everyone should agree on.. we Americans need to find another name for what we decided to call "football" since it isn't Football..  Not by a long shot, lol.

• Like 1

@Silas_Sancona Can't really argue with Pulisic winning the Man of the Match award against us. He looked lively and caused us problems. No England player deserved it, however in all fairness nobody was overly decent and the draw was a fair result. Obviously a 3-3 draw would have been more entertaining than a 0-0 though. Everyone wants to see goals. Both teams players didn't do enough on the night though. Like it wasn't particularly entertaining. Neither of us will look back on this match fondly to remember it.

Lots of controversy over England coach/manager Gareth Southgate and his squad selections, tactics, substitutions, woke behaviour etc. I don't understand why England players are being made to take the knee by the coach before kickoff, when USA players don't even do it. I mean the whole thing is based around George Floyd and BLM, which is American. Most England supporters, including myself, hate the coach/manager and want him gone. I wanted him gone 18 months ago. Can't stand him. He's England's own biggest enemy, ironically. Tactics-wise.

England are still top of the group. We can still go out if Wales beats us by a 6+ goal margin on Tuesday and USA beats Iran, in which case we would come 3rd, with USA topping the group and Wales coming 2nd. That won't happen though. Just a draw against Wales means we top the group, unless Iran wins against the USA. In fact the USA have to beat Iran on Tuesday or they go out. A draw or loss spells their exit with Iran advancing instead, if you look at the points after 2 out of 3 games. I suspect the USA will beat Iran about 2-0 though to progress with England. We'll see...

1208412476_Screenshot2022-11-26at01_27_53.thumb.png.ba149ed5f96a643ddba383760b1c81f6.png

Winner of our group (B) will face the runner up (2nd) in group A. The runner up in our group will face the winner of that group. So likely England vs Ecuador/Senegal and the USA vs Netherlands in the last 16 (semi-final). Qatar (the host nation) are already eliminated from the competition now after just 2 games. That is the first time that a host nation has ever been eliminated after just two games, but the only way Qatar could have even qualified for the World Cup is by hosting it. They are probably the worst side to ever be in the competition.

602537453_Screenshot2022-11-26at01_30_04.thumb.png.ddbc4656022b813799321a20130c99fb.png

Also a huge win for Australia today against Tunisia. They did pretty well against France in the first game, taking the lead early, but France were always going to come back and win. However they picked up a well deserved 3 points today. Their first win in 12 years and Australia may actually get through the group stages and into the knockout rounds for only the 2nd time in their history. Look at the Australian fans celebrating in Melbourne. Wow! I am a 'closet' Australia supporter through this tournament now along with England. Half of my family are based out in Perth though. England comes first for me, Australia second.

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A belated congratulations to Argentina..

672912137_Screenshot2022-12-21at10-10-33argentinaflagatDuckDuckGo.png.9101f20a4c49e15b2e4a3f865cb69846.png

See all of you in '26 ( When Brazil will win, lol 😁 )

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A somber day for real Football fans ( Not the "football" the U.S. made up ) 

Whether you played professionally, in school, or with kids in the neighborhood, Were a serious, or casual fan.. His presence and inspiration was legendary and felt well beyond the world he helped shape..  While his time in the physical has ended, his spirit will endure through time.. 

Rest in Peace..

1343799743_Screenshot2022-12-29at15-40-12Pele-TwitterSearch_Twitter.png.324aa98f4d0e839ffe53292b82e6eb55.png

627945687_Screenshot2022-12-29at15-38-52Pele-TwitterSearch_Twitter.png.5b3df7035523e9a89b9df53205445d32.png

722304581_Screenshot2022-12-29at15-39-51Pele-TwitterSearch_Twitter.png.8f16c53d2d9213411a7a38d61eb0971d.png

1707228355_Screenshot2022-12-29at15-50-45brasilianflagatDuckDuckGo.png.2cf379674948c12407a30b9a712975a5.png

• Like 2

🙏 R.I.P. 

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)