IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is buying palm seeds from Ebay better than buying them from RPS?

idontknowhatnametuse

So I noticed someone in Ebay named "floridaseeds1" is selling seeds from a palm I want (Wallichia Oblongifolia) the product says they do ship to my country (Mexico).  I have some money to buy some seeds, is it better and more trustful to buy from Ebay?

Purchasing seeds from Ebay  can ..emphasize can  be a good experience.  That said. have had a # of experiences over the years where seed sent was not what it was supposed to be, or simply did nothing / was no longer viable.  There are some good sellers out there though, so it isn't all bad.

Overall though, As mentioned before, and in different thread, taking trips to collect seed yourself -whenever possible- = Priceless.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I purchased Cordyline indivisa seeds on Ebay.  They grew up just to be a variant of C. australis.  Perhaps I should have been suspicious since the seeds were sent from Reno, Nevada ! :mrlooney:

• Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

So if I buy Wallichia Oblongifolia from RPS I will get 4 packages of 10 seeds for 500-700 Mexican pesos.

But if I buy a 10x package of Wallichia Oblongifolia seeds from Ebay for 100-300 Mexican pesos there's a probability that the seeds aren't W. Oblongifolia seeds.

I think RPS should be more reliable in terms of receiving the right species. In terms of viability of the seeds.. I have had good results with non-palm seeds from RPS but very poor results with palms. Could be me..

• Like 2

previously known as ego

17 hours ago, SeanK said:

I have purchased a wide variety of items - even a C.microspadix from eBay. Never a problem.

this is a rather common Chamaedorea sp.

• Like 2