• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

IPS Biennial - New Caledonia

Tracy S

This was posted in the IPS Magazine. It's still listed as proposed travel but I wanted to start a thread. Hopefully we can get updates as we get closer.  I know I'm marking my calendar!

2024 International Palm Society’s 33rd Biennial: New Caledonia (Southwestern Pacific Ocean) Sunday September 22–Monday September 30 Capacity 150

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

I'm totally excited at the prospect of a New Caledonia Biennial! I think someone said, "30 palms in habitat." I hope Mont Panié is included.

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I won’t miss this one and have heard many people very excited about this destination!

Lots of planning has already happened as the IPS is back to its normal pattern of advance planning! 

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

On 10/20/2022 at 9:10 AM, Tracy S said:

This was posted in the IPS Magazine. It's still listed as proposed travel but I wanted to start a thread. Hopefully we can get updates as we get closer.  I know I'm marking my calendar!

2024 International Palm Society’s 33rd Biennial: New Caledonia (Southwestern Pacific Ocean) Sunday September 22–Monday September 30 Capacity 150

All that means is that I'll see you there, Tracy!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

All I can say is that I've been putting "New Caledonia" on every post Biennial questionaire when asked for suggestion where to go after I attend one. I also put it for my 2nd choice. If I have to sell a car, I'm going!!

Hoping, Hoping, Hoping!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 3 weeks later...

The IPS Biennial of year 2000 visited New Caledonia, and it was the best one of all that I attended.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Excellent! I trust that you will be attending again this time around?

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

56 minutes ago, Tracy S said:

Excellent! I trust that you will be attending again this time around?

For various reasons , I am mostly done with Biennials.  :winkie:

San Francisco, California

• 5 months later...

I' m also excited to go to a Biennial again.... New Caledonia sounds fascinating. 

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 3 weeks later...

You can bet your ass Andrea and I will be going! Would love to include Australia,  New Zealand and PNG while in the neighborhood.  Lots of bucket list countries for me!!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I’m thrilled to hear that you and Andrea will be joining us!  You were so missed in Hawaii. 

andy 

On 11/5/2022 at 11:03 PM, BS Man about Palms said:

All I can say is that I've been putting "New Caledonia" on every post Biennial questionaire when asked for suggestion where to go after I attend one. I also put it for my 2nd choice. If I have to sell a car, I'm going!!

Hoping, Hoping, Hoping!!

Posted on FB, so it looks official! I am Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Going!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill and Jeff, I am delighted to hear that you are going to go to New Caledonia!

With permission, I am excited to post the preliminary itinerary here!

51A0A320-E32E-473F-BF6C-4FE9AB6AFBC7.thumb.png.6bee9c29f1ba5a0ccc2c81d98b0a1668.png

I can also report that there are several tempting pre and/or post trips under consideration. 

The cost has not yet been finalized as the planners continue to negotiate. 

Don’t miss this chance to expand your horizons and create lifetime memories.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

17 minutes ago, Cindy Adair said:

Bill and Jeff, I am delighted to hear that you are going to go to New Caledonia!

With permission, I am excited to post the preliminary itinerary here!

51A0A320-E32E-473F-BF6C-4FE9AB6AFBC7.thumb.png.6bee9c29f1ba5a0ccc2c81d98b0a1668.png

I can also report that there are several tempting pre and/or post trips under consideration. 

The cost has not yet been finalized as the planners continue to negotiate. 

Don’t miss this chance to expand your horizons and create lifetime memories.

Hi Folks. I was in New Caledonia with IPS in 2000. It was my first biennial. I was so impressed by the tour that I decided to keep travelling with IPS henceforth, and have never been disappointed. That New Caledonia trip was absolutely amazing. As much as I have travelled the world in search of palms, I have never been so blown away by the variety of palms (and other living things) as well as by the exotic locations within New Caledonia that we visited - that I could not have gotten into myself if it were not for IPS - as you need permission from tribes to enter their territory. The food there was wonderful, and it was not too hot as it lies close to the tropic of cancer. I never thought that I would ever go back but I was absolutely riveted when I heard that we are indeed planning to go back to the Land that Time Forgot. I would not miss this opportunity for anything in the world, as there is no guarantee that this trip will ever repeat itself. Do yourself a favor and start planning for the trip.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Also please see this new topic on the most frequently read “Discussing Palms Worldwide”.  

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

18 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

You can bet your ass Andrea and I will be going! Would love to include Australia,  New Zealand and PNG while in the neighborhood.  Lots of bucket list countries for me!!!

Australia and NZ are on my wishlist also. Papua New Guinea is also fascinating. I remember the stories my uncle told us of the time he was a teacher there, in the times of dutch colonialism. How safe is this country to travel?

• Like 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

3 hours ago, LP305 said:

Any plans of Mt. Panie? Maybe pre or post trip? There resides my favorite.. Chambeyronia (Kentiopsis) piersoniorum.

• Like 2

At the recent Board meeting I heard of a possible option to go north, involving complicated travel and the need for more permits by the planners, possibly as a small group pretour, but don’t know more than that. 

Stay tuned.

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

Finally a Biennial that is only a couple of hours by plane from here. Just the thought of spending hours stuck on a plane gives me the horrors and has preventing me from going to previous biennials. New Caledonia has a far gentler climate too than a lot of the other places so I know I won't die of heat stroke. Yes I have been there before, it was the one of the few places I felt safe enough to try driving on the wrong side of the road. (a humiliating failure I will confess) If I can go this time I will actually see all my favourite easy to grow palms in their habitat as well and only spend a few hours in the duty free shops.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

On 6/12/2023 at 1:35 AM, Cindy Adair said:

It would be great to see you there Peachy!

Now I just have to find someone I trust enough to mind the kids ! Up in numbers now too, 3 pussies, 7 poochies and parrots are sitting on eggs right now.  Last time I left them was when I had the double mastectomy and even then I sneaked home after I woke up and the day shift nurses went off duty.

Peachy

Remy 4.JPG

remi says move over.JPG

• Like 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Adorable babies Peachy!
Here’s hoping some palm lover reading this knows someone who lives near you and would love to gain your trust with more than a year to go.

And folks, Dr. Baker has done a lot of traveling and learning about palms over decades.  

You can’t miss the chance to join him and so many others in 2024.

I just read the account of the only other IPS Biennial to New Caledonia as published in a 2000 issue of the wonderful PACSOA magazine.  

I could not go in 2000, but am not going to just read about it afterwards this time!

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

• 2 months later...

Do we have an idea of when in the autumn reservations will open for this?

we are looking forward to it here in Switzerland 

robert 

• Like 1

So glad to hear our members in Switzerland are eager! We truly want to encourage members around the world to attend.

Yesterday I was told registration would open within the next two weeks.

However I know those pesky last minute details can sometimes slow the process. 

I give you my word that as soon as I am given full details it will immediately go on Palm Talk!

Cindy Adair

5 hours ago, CHBobby said:

Do we have an idea of when in the autumn reservations will open for this?

we are looking forward to it here in Switzerland 

robert 

Dear Robert, looking forward to meeting you in New Caledonia! We anticipate that registration will open on or about September 15. We are hopeful/fearful that it might sell out quickly as there seems to be tremendous interest (not unexpected given this island is more or less the Holy Grail for many of us). So it might be prudent to act fast.

Thanks,

Andy

P. S. Arlene and I will be in Switzerland in June, 2024

• 2 weeks later...

BOOM! B) :shaka-2:

• Like 1

Yes all the Directors and benefactors got a chance to register beginning yesterday.

I had no trouble with the links and am in!

I do not know when any pre and post tour options will be finalized. 

I understand everyone else can expect access to registration as soon as 1-2 days!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Unable to register from Europe for some reason the website does not respond when after I click submit. 

just a grey spinning circle 

no-one to contact to sort it out 

Frustration 

42 minutes ago, CHBobby said:

Unable to register from Europe for some reason the website does not respond when after I click submit. 

just a grey spinning circle 

no-one to contact to sort it out 

Frustration 

This will be easily fixed by our administrator. If you DM me, I’ll pass along. Looking forward to seeing you in New Caledonia! Andy

Registration glitch now fixed.

I am told the issue was too many people trying to register simultaneously!

Like Taylor Swift concerts?

So don’t wait or you might miss your chance.

Cindy Adair

There was an IPS Director’s meeting via zoom yesterday so I can share some updates on Biennial Registration. 

In the ONE WEEK since registration has been fully open, 75 of us have paid.  
We are half sold out!!!

The least expensive rooms are in short supply and the chance to save $150 per person ends September 30. 

We are seeing palm lovers around the world reserving their spaces.

I know for sure we have folks from Switzerland, France, Australia and the USA paid up so we are back to truly international representation. 

If you prefer not to post your name, but want to add your country/state/territory to the list, please private message me and I will add it here. 

I will note at least two of us from Puerto Rico have registered.

I wonder who will travel the most miles to attend?

Cindy Adair

I am sorry, but the short answer is no.

However I heard at yesterday’s zoom meeting that the itinerary for the pretour in New Cal will be open to Benefactors only and should be ready in less than a week.

Anyone can become a benefactor at

https://palms.org/membership/

and then sign up for the pretour.

I know it involves a single day and night, a helicopter ride and a French lunch along with several additional palms in habitat not seen on the main Biennial.

However the price has not been finalized so of course registration will not open until all is set. I do not know exactly when that will happen.

Finalizing the post tour plans in New Cal will be the next priority for the very hard working planning team.

It is expected to be several days long and involve seeing yet more amazing species.

We anticipate it being “first come first served” rather than benefactor limited.

I believe it will involve at least some four by four vehicles and longer hikes, but will be worth the effort in palm species seen and adventure memories I am sure!

I have even less of an idea of time frame for post tour registration. 

Any possible Australian option for pre/post   is likely out of the scope of the New Cal team.  It needs to be coordinated with the Director in charge who was not able to attend the virtual meeting.

I understand an itinerary has already been roughed out and a Director present at the meeting and familiar with the itinerary was very positive. 

Stay tuned (by following this topic) for more details when available!

Cindy Adair

Wow! The tentative itineraries for pre and post New Cal travel are now posted here:

No prices yet. And to clarify, all Biennial prices are in USD. 

Cindy Adair