IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

imagine if michigan was like this

A User on Palmtalk

@A User on Palmtalk <humor> if you can convince Canada that they'd be better off as open ocean, it's possible. </humor>

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

6 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@A User on Palmtalk <humor> if you can convince Canada that they'd be better off as open ocean, it's possible. </humor>

If zone 8 ( 8b esp. ) reaches Michigan, i wonder what zone  -whats left-  of Florida would be, ..14? 15? ( Does a zone 15 even exist?, lol )  Zone 10 in Kansas might be nice though, ..i think, haha.  :blink:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

If zone 8 ( 8b esp. ) reaches Michigan, i wonder what zone  -whats left-  of Florida would be, ..14? 15? ( Does a zone 15 even exist?, lol )  Zone 10 in Kansas might be nice though, ..i think, haha.  :blink:

The highest zone I put in my database check table is 13b.

OK, we can't go higher than that because I don't want to write insert statements or do an Excel/CSV upload. :)

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

10 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

The highest zone I put in my database check table is 13b.

OK, we can't go higher than that because I don't want to write insert statements or do an Excel/CSV upload. :)

:greenthumb:  :floor:

I believe the 2012 plant maps map of Mexico lists a zone 14, though i don't recall finding a blip of it on the map..  15, if it exists, would means no lows below 80F..

• Upvote 2

The islands of Lake Wales, Lakeland, and Sugarloaf would be quite mild ;)

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

Several equatorial islands and atolls don't go below 70 ever.  And that's record lows not just mean minimum. And the death valley of ethiopia, the 400 foot below sea level Danakil Depression (-130 meters), with the sulfuric salt mining ghost town of Dallol, the hottest place on earth, with an average annual temp of 35c 95 f, a tropical desert at only 14° latitude, also doesn't go below 70. Mean minimums in these places might be above 75. Many houses don't go below, or much above 70 either. In very hot places without air conditioning they might go from 70 to 100, mimicking an outdoor zone 14. No place outside of a volcanic or coal seam fire vent doesn't go below 80. 

The average low in Dallol and Nauru in winter is 25c 77 f. Nauru is the highest oceanicity tropical climate on Earth. Every month the average low is 77. 

Edited by Aceraceae

6 minutes ago, Aceraceae said:

Several equatorial islands and atolls don't go below 70 ever.  And that's record lows not just mean minimum. And the death valley of ethiopia, the 400 foot below sea level Danakil Depression, with the sulfuric salt mining ghost town of Dallol, the hottest place on earth, with an average annual temp of 35c 95 f, a tropical desert at only 14° latitude, also doesn't go below 70. Mean minimums in these places might be above 75. Many houses don't go below, or much above 70 either. In very hot places without air conditioning they might go from 70 to 100, mimicking an outdoor zone 14. No place outside of a volcanic or coal seam fire vent doesn't go below 80. 

man thats too warm for me

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

If the Great lakes didn't freeze over at all, as some of them already usually don't most years, there would be a better oceanic effect in the Northeast. Lake Erie gets very warm in the summer but it's so shallow that it's the first to freeze over. Superior, then Huron, then Michigan, then Lake Ontario is the last to freeze. 

However there's a temperature compression effect where the poles and the winter time would warm more than the equatorial summer. So if zone 8 reached the Northern tier, Florida would probably just be zone 9b to 12 and 13 in the lower keys.