IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pygmy Date Crown Issue?

P. Hightower

Greetings!

Ideas?
-Triple trunked
-Planted last Sept.
-One Sunniland and monthly Southern Ag applications starting in March
-Added soil to bed in May
-Flowered weeks later
-Tips are deep green but core looks sick
  (Brown tips are from January 2022 freeze - 9a)
-Tallest trunk looks the worst, smallest trunk looks "best"

Until today I would classify the tree as thriving.
What’s happening?
Thx!

Tall Trunk.jpg

Medium Trunk.jpg

Small Trunk.jpg

Wide.jpg

IMG_6889.jpg

Looks like latent winter damage, that is damage that shows up well after the event that caused this. 

I would tug on the center spears to see if they come out. Regardless I would treat with copper fungicide and wait. It may take a few weeks to see new healthy growth. 

As far as I know these are more of a 9b palm, so you’re on the edge. Perhaps others can chime in. 

good luck!

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

I agree, it is probably a crown fungal infection like phytophthora  It might have been in there since the cold snap at the end of January, I still have several palms either struggling to recover or recently declared dead.  I have been squirting a bit of Daconil and hydrogen peroxide mix into the crown on a couple of palms.  A copper-based fungicide is also a good option.

• Like 1