IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

So What Caught Your Eye Today?

The Gerg

Today wandering the garden as I often do while taking a break from work I noticed that my Beccariophoenix madagascariensis seems to be starting to put on a little size. I can’t remember exactly when I planted it. It’s been about 6 years I would guess. It was a small 5 gallon.  Over those years it has consistently put out new leafs, but it never really seemed to get too much bigger.  While still considered small, it seems to finally be putting on some size. 5 gallon bucket in 2nd pic for scale.
8B137F65-6E9B-45B7-B30E-F54795826BA1.thumb.jpeg.a0478023e2cbb7cd41f5bc13d79bb0df.jpeg3CBFF69C-A3CE-4C5D-839D-98FFADA88011.thumb.jpeg.a570b92f34b2c8de4f5773d61a426905.jpeg
BBD0D3C9-6888-4334-9F21-1F6452A4976A.thumb.jpeg.c7af9b254b53f1ca17598272f51fd13d.jpeg

So what palm in your garden caught your eye today? It doesn’t have to be your favorite, just something that stuck out to you today.

• Like 20
  • Upvote 2

Nice thread. Interestingly enough 40 min. ago I was thinking about my Dypsis plumosa (gifted to me as a seed by @DoomsDave) caught my eye. It's in clay.  But well, I finger planted the seeds he gave me way back when. Three germinated . Feral cats killed two of them. I took care of the cats with a 10/22. One Dypsis survived.  The cats plucked them out of the ground and gnawed at the (they looked like blades of grass as the time. Dypsis: pinnate, not even bifid like other palms) D. plumosas.

But I admire the surviving D. plumosa 

here are pics. 

The coco to its immediate right is the same age. (Germination wise)

D.plumosa takes it time to grow, but it looks really nice (thin and delicate)

IMG_20220628_224713_1_copy_1125x2000.jpg

IMG_20220628_224702_1_copy_1125x2000.jpg

IMG_20220628_224644_1_copy_1125x2000.jpg

IMG_20220628_230613_1_copy_1125x2000.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Great thread! I am a newish palm person with only a few queens being in the ground for longer than 1 year. With that being said, I've recently fallen hard for Caryota's and I noticed my first planted Maxima (Nov 2021) is really picking up speed with a new spear reaching 2 feet of length is very short time (maybe 2+ months). The left frond was with the plant when I bought it Nov 2021 and it had a very short (12 inch spear) which is now the right frond.  

Non-palm related: dwarf ruby flesh jackfruit in ground for 2 years is starting to put out new growth as well. 

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Btw, it doesn’t literally have to be “today”.  It could be just recently.  

• Like 2

Hard to walk by the bigger of my two Royals and not notice it. Already 2 feet across at the base. Going to be a monster in another 5 years.

F03B1C46-7CB1-4849-80F9-5AAC228CB8FB.jpeg

56C49805-5512-47BA-9A7D-8F2819CF1AB0.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 2

My Dypsis bef has been drawing a good deal of scrutiny lately.  On the tallest of the 3 trunks I noticed some crinkling on the newest leaf to emerge even as it was only partially out and just a spear.  I got the plant as a single and split once into two trunks early.  The smaller trunk split again a while later and in each case, the trunk split was preceded by a funky crinkled leaf emerging.  Sure enough, yesterday I noticed that after that crinkled leaf, the tallest trunk has two new spears of the same height emerging.  Although it still has no trunk, I can see a bulge in the trunk where the split will occur.  This one will be a branching as opposed to a subterranean split.  Not much to see now, but it has been the palm I have been paying the closest attention to of late.

Unfortunately, I would have preferred this remain just 3 trunks based on it's location.  The plant decides what it will do though, not us.

20220629-BH3I8108.jpg

20220629-BH3I8109.jpg

• Like 14
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

What HASN'T caught my eye lately?

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I’ve got a Dypsis Pembana that was saved from death. It was very neglected double in a 2G pot with vertically no soil and a ton of exposed roots. Threw it in the ground last year and it’s started to take off with the vigor Pembanas are known for. 

Looked the other day and noticed a super weird burnt looking frond coming out of the center. While I can’t explain what’s going on here, it looks now that another frond is quickly  emerging? No clue but very strange none the less. 

-dale

0ED16DC3-1415-4F89-BF06-4CEAC4BCB8B4.jpeg

1E5AA8AA-DAD4-4626-89EE-1F34D16A2C45.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

…..side note: this strange defect started right around the time as a couple pups emerging from both trunks. Likely non-related but interesting. Looks like it’ll be a 4 trunker at least. 

-dale

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm confined to my California garden for the summer, so there is not a lot to catch my eye, but I have noticed my Chamaedorea plumosa group is beginning to fatten at the base. It is one plant that has not been ripped apart by marauding skunks, so it's a survivor. It's in a challenging location -- full west-facing sun from about noon until sunset, and in front of a galvanized corrugated metal sheet that radiates heat. I didn't think they could tolerate the conditions, but to my surprise, these keep growing, throwing out fronds. Planted from a small community pot of 5 individuals, all but one remain accounted for.

IMG_9419.thumb.JPG.c68fa7cc94d02a9300d0c1af7129b23d.JPG

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

38 minutes ago, Kim said:

I'm confined to my California garden for the summer, so there is not a lot to catch my eye, but I have noticed my Chamaedorea plumosa group is beginning to fatten at the base. It is one plant that has not been ripped apart by marauding skunks, so it's a survivor. It's in a challenging location -- full west-facing sun from about noon until sunset, and in front of a galvanized corrugated metal sheet that radiates heat. I didn't think they could tolerate the conditions, but to my surprise, these keep growing, throwing out fronds. Planted from a small community pot of 5 individuals, all but one remain accounted for.

Here's mine. It's hard to make it out since it's crowded in with 5 or 6 other palms in this corner, but I'm loving these and wish I bought more. I've got 4 in this pot and they're fast and thirsty in this heat. 

IMG_20220628_190506.jpg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Tracy said:

My Dypsis bef has been drawing a good deal of scrutiny lately.  On the tallest of the 3 trunks I noticed some crinkling on the newest leaf to emerge even as it was only partially out and just a spear.  I got the plant as a single and split once into two trunks early.  The smaller trunk split again a while later and in each case, the trunk split was preceded by a funky crinkled leaf emerging.  Sure enough, yesterday I noticed that after that crinkled leaf, the tallest trunk has two new spears of the same height emerging.  Although it still has no trunk, I can see a bulge in the trunk where the split will occur.  This one will be a branching as opposed to a subterranean split.  Not much to see now, but it has been the palm I have been paying the closest attention to of late.

Unfortunately, I would have preferred this remain just 3 trunks based on it's location.  The plant decides what it will do though, not us.

Since I was talking about the telltale sign of the damaged leaf coming out before the split, I thought I should show the portion of the new leaf with the crinkles that so often are the precursor.  Also a shot of the trunks to put it into perspective.  I suspect this tallest trunk will be showing a ring in the not too far distant future, while the two adjacent ones from the last trunk split will be behind in that process.

20220629-BH3I8114.jpg

20220629-BH3I8113.jpg

20220629-BH3I8112.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

My bad for flooding this thread.

Here's a ground level shot of my tiny patio jungle. My Queen reaches the gutters on my apartment now. 

IMG_20220629_192628.jpg

• Like 5

@JohnAndSancho Your C. plumosa look really great! Wish mine were that healthy. They are in a tough spot, and I don't give them as much love as they probably deserve. This garden is a test of tolerance for benign neglect. :bummed:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

33 minutes ago, Kim said:

@JohnAndSancho Your C. plumosa look really great! Wish mine were that healthy. They are in a tough spot, and I don't give them as much love as they probably deserve. This garden is a test of tolerance for benign neglect. :bummed:

The photo is kinda deceptive since there's a bunch of palms squeezed into that corner, but thank you and they're happy. They're as thirsty as the Majesty and growing vertical as fast as my Queen. They just went from a 1g (bought from Phil last year) to a 2g and they just suck up all the water they get. 

• Like 3

Well the avenue planting of C renda on the drive from the Miri airport to town was nice for a while. Getting a bit meh now though.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@sgvcns Please post photos during your explorations if possible. Lots to see there.

Kim Cyr

18 hours ago, Kim said:

17 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Here's mine. It's hard to make it out since it's crowded in with 5 or 6 other palms in this corner, but I'm loving these and wish I bought more. I've got 4 in this pot and they're fast and thirsty in this heat. 

IMG_20220628_190506.jpg

16 hours ago, Kim said:

15 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

The photo is kinda deceptive since there's a bunch of palms squeezed into that corner, but thank you and they're happy. They're as thirsty as the Majesty and growing vertical as fast as my Queen. They just went from a 1g (bought from Phil last year) to a 2g and they just suck up all the water they get. 

17 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

IMG_20220628_190506.jpg

18 hours ago, Kim said:

I've been pleasantly surprised to find that C. plumosa are quite tough and durable. I have about 20 planted in full sun; thuogh they're a bit yellow, they're doing well, and they should reach full size and start seeding in a couple years. They also don't need a lot of water.

Many of the Chamadoreas are like that; little but tough, like cockroaches.

• Like 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

8 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

I've been pleasantly surprised to find that C. plumosa are quite tough and durable. I have about 20 planted in full sun; thuogh they're a bit yellow, they're doing well, and they should reach full size and start seeding in a couple years. They also don't need a lot of water.

Many of the Chamadoreas are like that; little but tough, like cockroaches.

C  Plumosa might not need lots of water, but they love it in triple digit temps in this drought. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

C  Plumosa might not need lots of water, but they love it in triple digit temps in this drought. 

They love clay soil 

22 hours ago, sgvcns said:

Well the avenue planting of C renda on the drive from the Miri airport to town was nice for a while. Getting a bit meh now though.

I clamor with @Kim for pictures!!!

Just now, DoomsDave said:

They love clay soil 

They love my garden soil/Repti Bark/LECA mix too. At least these particular green jerks do. But I'm pretty confident most palms would love 100° temps, mostly shade, and daily watering and nightly misting. Everyone is getting so pampered right now  

The crownshaft base came off this today, catching my eye.  Dypsis basilonga.

20220630-BH3I8127.jpg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

The crownshaft base came off this today, catching my eye.  Dypsis basilonga.

20220630-BH3I8127.jpg

Tracy, both palms you posted in this thread are palms I really like a lot but haven’t yet had great luck with. I currently no longer have a Dypsis “bef”, but I have about a half dozen small Dypsis basilonga’s. Will put one in the ground soon in a protected area. Fingers crossed this time it will work out.

• Like 3

Hi,

made a stroll, too and noticed the new spear of my beautiful (still young) D. leptocheilos.

dl01.thumb.jpg.2e3ea1b8cdc2f2b005db237ea34d12e5.jpg

The new spear is much longer than any other leaf of this palm - almost 5 feet long - oh wait, I guess it is a bit hard to make out...

pl02.thumb.jpg.41f0d594840b3a87655a7731cc2ffd11.jpg

...so I attached a little star on its top. :D:greenthumb:

It seems that it finally starts to take off - I am really glad about it!

regards

Lars

• Like 6

Pinanga mirabilis. Lovely thing. Don't usually see a lot of seed though. Makes falling through rotten walkway planks almost worthwhile 

20220701_114452.jpg

20220701_153356.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 4

nothing special, but this little Bismarck, that started out as a seed I threw In the ground not expecting much a few years ago caught my eye. It is starting to get fan leaves, and it has been fun to watch it grow in my yard with no supplemental care.

96DB7601-B90B-4D78-9F95-1733E5BB0497.thumb.jpeg.9dba1045de031e722a48cd86cccf1f58.jpeg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Palms and Pines said:

nothing special, but this little Bismarck, that started out as a seed I threw In the ground not expecting much a few years ago caught my eye. It is starting to get fan leaves, and it has been fun to watch it grow in my yard with no supplemental care.

96DB7601-B90B-4D78-9F95-1733E5BB0497.thumb.jpeg.9dba1045de031e722a48cd86cccf1f58.jpeg

If it’s palm related, it’s all special to us!

• Like 4

Honestly, I’m not just looking for things to add to this thread. Yesterday the way the sun was hitting the leaves of my Archontophoenix myolensis was very striking to me. As so often the case, the pics don’t quite do it justice.

I talked about this palm before. For some reason it has taken its time with getting vertical even though it’s been a consistent grower. This is one of the original palms planted in my garden. I remember I ordered (2) Dypsis lepticheilos, (2) Dypsis pembanas and (2) Archontophoenix myolensis from Jungle Music. All 15 gallons. I was new to this and killed every single one of them except for this one. Maybe planted about 2012-2013 as a 15 gallon. Pretty slow for an Archontophoenix. It does have a bit of a soft spot at the base of it that probably had something to do with it being slow. It’s now moving faster and looking just as good as can be imo. 43C7921C-33AE-4721-817A-EE5A10786F29.thumb.jpeg.c96f2e14dc06d4ee4b199d8ac5086754.jpeg

E1113D3F-D754-4E0C-BFB2-B7D7DD7C2E4E.thumb.jpeg.2ab4db9c828ef579f53f5b9bbb83eee6.jpeg

Coincidentally located next to the Beccariophoenix madagascariensis I first posted about.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

This geonoma logivaginata has such a beautiful new leaf 

DABB4E57-0FE5-4BEF-AAEC-E6DB5EC0DB44.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Kentiopsis Pyriformis was looking great in some brief morning sun. 

35D5115D-6856-4964-B67F-CEFBCE81CE0C.thumb.jpeg.b039827074f5708d112ea63a7c6b163d.jpeg

Looking great indeed. Morning sun on the palms is always striking to me. Especially when it is backlighting. I can never not take a picture.

• Like 2

Sometimes I will remove otherwise healthy leaves on my Cycads to allow lower flushes to push up without getting tangled and deformed amid the higher leaves, particularly when there are multiple flushes occurring on the plant at the same time.  Well, clearing out those leaves and some toasted tip leaves on an adjacent Dypsis lutescens revealed the long hidden Cyphophoenix elegans behind it.  It's not that I wasn't aware of it growing, but it just was difficult to sort out from the adjacent foliage at this stage.  Now it's much more exposed to see and appreciate, something I anticipate will continue as it grows taller.

So yes, this Cyphophoenix elegans catches my eye when I walk out and can see it again.

20220703-BH3I8162.jpg

20220703-BH3I8145.jpg

• Like 9

This is probably a "duh" post, but my $10 community pot of L. Chinesis has been in a poorly lit area of my apartment for months without a saucer which led to minimal watering. 

Put it outside in the heat maybe 2 weeks ago and watered the crap out of it. It reacted about how y'all would expect. 

IMG_20220704_161801.jpg

• Like 4

Lovely morning over here. Full sun after a hefty rain shower...

bn01.thumb.jpg.86e23223bda80e11dd52f7601a49ecd6.jpg

Young B. nobilis sticks out....

bni01.thumb.jpg.e5d04cb47288ea3718bb4619067d6192.jpg

Beautiful green crown shaft - B. nicobarica...

cp01.thumb.jpg.b61deea9c3f6af69dcc9a997c02611f2.jpg

Here it is the leaves's green that always fascinates me -  C. ponapense... 

Finally the leaf has opened - 

dl02.thumb.jpg.ddf8d28a13d40b5380f125bb982be0a8.jpg

D. leptocheilos.

Lars

• Like 10

This is an incredibly variegated Caryota mitis that I bought from Floribunda and gave to my dad. The coloring is incredible. 

8BEC5C13-AC42-424C-A922-4931DCAE029A.jpeg

C10D31A5-232F-43E9-B03B-E3AF650F55AA.jpeg

634458DB-3F17-4B42-AC97-98DBF2EAB2A8.jpeg

CF633A05-B765-486B-B0E2-65F6F23E5222.jpeg

• Like 11

This new frond (tall one on the right) on my queen seems to have grown a foot in a week. 

It's probably been 2 weeks but whatevs, she's growing insanely fast in 100 degree heat with extra water. Also probably grown 2 feet. 

IMG_20220705_201619.jpg

• Like 4